Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston considered South Texas?
Yes 9 25.71%
No 24 68.57%
Somewhat, but not completely 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times

Advertisements

I was part of the "Is Houston East Tx or not" debate, and can see both sides. But let's be real clear on this question, Houston is NOT South Texas.

There is a cultural and geographic feel to South Texas, and Houston has neither. This is not debatable. Obviously y'all will, but you'll be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 AM

9,729 posts, read 6,355,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I was part of the "Is Houston East Tx or not" debate, and can see both sides. But let's be real clear on this question, Houston is NOT South Texas.

There is a cultural and geographic feel to South Texas, and Houston has neither. This is not debatable. Obviously y'all will, but you'll be wrong.
Well geographic it's both. But I'm guessing you mean a climate standpoint, and I definitely agree there. Houston in a climate sense is more like East Texas. But cultural, heck no, as East Texas does not only not have the Hispanic population of Houston. But it does not have the East Asian population nor the South Asian, nor many other demographics.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Well geographic it's both. But I'm guessing you mean a climate standpoint, and I definitely agree there. Houston in a climate sense is more like East Texas. But cultural, heck no, as East Texas does not only not have the Hispanic population of Houston. But it does not have the East Asian population nor the South Asian, nor many other demographics.
Neither does South Texas.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 AM

A lot of people try to get around Houston's Hispanic population by saying the Hispanic culture isn't the same as it is in South Texas. And to their point, in a way it's true, while the Tex Mex culture lives in Houston a lot more than people here are saying it does, Houston's Hispanic culture is indeed a lot more diverse than South Texas, and all of Texas for that matter. However, that doesn't take away the point that it's still Hispanic. As a born Venezuelan, I feel the differences of Venezuelan and Mexican cultures a lot. But Spanish is widely spoken in Houston, our food while different has a lot of ingredients we both use that aren't used any where else in the world, etc. And that's only speaking for my nationality. The regional Mexican and Honduran and salvadoran cultures which are on a higher scale in houston have an even more similar culture. The Hispanic culture being the category, and all the subcategory being branches, the branches aren't exactly the same one another, but they're a lot more similar than anything you see in East Texas. So it does matter. Hispanic has been a presence in Houston since the 1800s, which is when the major Hispanic moves happened.

Now, not only does East texas not have Houston's Hispanic population. It doesn't have its Asian population either. There are Asians in cities in South Texas aren't as much as there are in Houston, but a lot more than East Texas. So stop limiting it to Hispanic.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Not in Houston's caliber, but more than east Texas yes. Go find a city where the population is atleast 2% in East Texas. Maybe a very rural settlement where some Asians settled, but not Nacodoches, Tyler, Lufkin, etc. San Antonio, for example, as a large city comes to 3%. That's a lot higher than in the other places as small towns. Not Houston's 6%, but a lot higher than East Texas.

And this is my what I'm saying. East Texas is missing A LOT of cultures Houston has. So is South Texas, but I'm not arguing against that. You can say South Texas is missing plenty of cultures Houston has, but the argument can go for either way. That's one of the reasons this is a dispute.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It's hilarious how hard this P-Swag nitwit is trying his hardest to make Houston feel like South Texas.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It's hilarious how hard this P-Swag nitwit is trying his hardest to make Houston feel like South Texas.
No. Unlike you, I understand the fact. The fact is that Houston on a cultural level doesn't resemble East Texas. OR South Texas. My arguments are against you thinking it's a pure East Texan city which is not. Where's East Texas' Hispanic population, Asian populatikn, etc. if culturally, Houston was so much like East Texas, then East Texas would have all the cultures found in Houston.

Why don't you say this "East Texas has every culture found in Houston and every culture in Houston resembles East Texas". You can't say that because it isn't true. I'm arguing the truth. It's not dominately East Texas. It's not dominatelt South Texas. It's disputed. If you want to ignore everything Houston has that East Texas doesn't, by all means go ahead. Convince yourself whatever you want.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:06 AM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
South Texas = Flat, dry with VERY few trees

Old 03-31-2017, 11:30 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
South Texas = Flat, dry with VERY few trees
Replace dry with wet and you'd have over half the Houston area before the invasive Chinese Tallow took over. Plains and glorified bushes like South Tx.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,203,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No. Unlike you, I understand the fact. The fact is that Houston on a cultural level doesn't resemble East Texas. OR South Texas. My arguments are against you thinking it's a pure East Texan city which is not. Where's East Texas' Hispanic population, Asian populatikn, etc. if culturally, Houston was so much like East Texas, then East Texas would have all the cultures found in Houston.

Why don't you say this "East Texas has every culture found in Houston and every culture in Houston resembles East Texas". You can't say that because it isn't true. I'm arguing the truth. It's not dominately East Texas. It's not dominatelt South Texas. It's disputed. If you want to ignore everything Houston has that East Texas doesn't, by all means go ahead. Convince yourself whatever you want.
Most urban areas do not have the same demographics as the rural hinterlands, so your argument about East Texas and Houston are suppose to mirror each other from that aspect is weak, strawman argument at best. That would be like saying that Los Angeles isn't a part of Southern California because its demographics don't match Barstow's or that Chicago isn't in Northern Illinois because Rockford doesn't have same demographics.

Houston is the urban hub for Southeastern Texas, but from a climatic and cultural standpoint, shares a lot more with East Texas than it does South Texas. No matter how much you try to move the goalposts prove a point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston