Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:25 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Do they pay property taxes?

This brings something I always wondered,
Can you rent property to a church to avoid paying property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 05:04 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do they pay property taxes?

This brings something I always wondered,
Can you rent property to a church to avoid paying property taxes?
All the commercial buildings pay taxes. Renting to a charity or religious doesn't' reduce the taxes. Only property owned by the charity or religion is exempt.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 PM

270 posts, read 405,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
All the commercial buildings pay taxes. Renting to a charity or religious doesn't' reduce the taxes. Only property owned by the charity or religion is exempt.
And then only if it is being used for "religious purposes". St. Martin's church owns the office building next door (5005 Woodway) which is primarily a Regions Bank location. Since it is a commercial property, they are paying taxes on it.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,040 times
It is really strange
I live in Houston and I am not in love with this city but to be honest I moved here from Boston for cost and climate reasons. If Boston is hell then Houston is heaven to me with lots of drawbacks.

2 days ago I was in a small supermarket with a restaurant in it. This was a Turkish supermarket with 10-12 small restaurants in it. Whoever the owner is he rented out these small pockets in the wall all around the market and in the middle you have shelves where you can buy ethnic food

One of those stores belong to a Venezualean store which happens to have a party that day. It was full of Latin Americans young beautiful women everywhere one of which sat down on the same table that I was in. She said she arrived from Venezuela 2 years ago and she is a Spanish teacher in one of the school districts

I asked her why she chose Houston over Miami and she said Miami is way too expensive. And I said NY or Chicago. She went to all those places but she found it either too cold or expensive. She also said just in the last week, 12 kids from Venezuela, enrolled in her school. Can you believe this?

And I was wondering why this ugly but cheap city keeps expanding. Later on, other Latina women joined the conversation. One of them was from Cuba and she said the same thing. So many Cubans are coming to Houston and help the city expanding. They no longer choose Miami because it is overpriced.
I was left out in real estate business. I thought Houston would stop growing especially after oil bust but now look at these new immigrants. Had I known this I would have bought a land and/or strip mall somewhere in the suburbs 10 years ago, it would be considered not suburb in 10 years anyway.

All these new people moving to Houston, 99% of them will not be working for oil and gas. These new immigrants will work for close to minimum wage. But yes there are millions of them moving in.

How are all these poor people increase the valuation of strip malls of houses? Something does not make sense. The latest job report clearly indicates that job growth is miniscule and of those jobs created, a tiny percent will be in oil and gas which is where the money is. Healthcare do not pay big bucks.

Something is screwed up with Houston real estate market valuation. Maybe Chinese money?

Last edited by misterno; 04-03-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 01:26 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
How does it work if you have a piece of land and sell half of it to a church for religious purposes and rent out the other half for commercial purposes?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:35 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times
If a rooster lays an egg on top of a house, on which side of the roof does the egg roll down?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM

204 posts, read 201,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
How are all these poor people increase the valuation of strip malls of houses? Something does not make sense. The latest job report clearly indicates that job growth is miniscule and of those jobs created, a tiny percent will be in oil and gas which is where the money is. Healthcare do not pay big bucks.

Something is screwed up with Houston real estate market valuation. Maybe Chinese money?
Huh? Which part of healthcare does not pay well?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Houston is Houston because of oil and gas and their high salaries

In the coming years these high salaried people will vanish and will be replaced by low paying jobs like healthcare

I read in a report somewhere average salary in healthcare vs average salary in oil and gas and there was a 3x difference at the time. Healthcare pays that low in average.

How is this low pay gonna sustain this real estate market. Something does not add up.

The only things I can think of is huge immigration illegal and legal and Chinese money

Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Health care includes a huge range of jobs, from high-skill and high-education physicians down to low-pay orderlies and nursing assistants.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Health care includes a huge range of jobs, from high-skill and high-education physicians down to low-pay orderlies and nursing assistants.
I said AVERAGE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston