Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 AM

112 posts, read 166,362 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I know this topic has been gone over numerous times. Is it worth it to remodel an older home to where you will have one of the most expensive houses on the block? On average the homes in the area range anywhere between $150k-$200K. With the current renovation budget, the home would be at or close to $200k. Just looking for some feedback as taking out a home renovation loan would raise our monthly payments (mortgage and home renovation loan) to what it would cost for a new construction home mortgage. Of course I know the pros and cons of new construction vs remodeling, but I was wondering if anyone else faced this dilemma and what decision did they make. My fear is, we would remodel the home and it would be worth more than the houses on the block, that if we ever decided to sell we would end up losing money. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Only on HGTV shows like Flip or flop I have seen homes with highest comps in the neighborhood after renovation selling in a heartbeat. So my opinion is not to do it. We have had great success in buying cheapest or lowest priced home in the neighborhood of expensive homes. That's the way to do it...

Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 AM

That's a good point! My mom mentioned the same thing in regards to buying the least expensive house in an area surrounded by more expensive homes.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
I don't like new homes. I get the appeal and I like the perks of new homes, but I am an "old bones" gal. So for me, I would say renovate an old home. And lots of people would agree with me. BUT there are at least as many people who would prefer the exact opposite. So I would say go for personal preference.

One thing to consider: unless you build, you are unlikely to find a house that is your dream house, which means you'll either just have to live with the counters/cabinets/floors/tile/etc that is there, or pay to redo it. And renovating is a pain. Especially if you buy the least expensive house -- I doubt it is least expensive AND perfect inside.

But it also depends on the neighborhood. In my neighborhood, there is value to the original house (and restrictions preventing anything that looks too "new" from being built). In some other areas, I'm sure the expectation from buyers is for a brand new house.

Lastly, what are you considering "old house?" While a house built in 2000 may be considered old by some, that isn't a selling point. A house built in 1950? That's something people look for.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Sorry it's "older" but still relatively young. It was built in 1981.

In terms of new construction, yes we would build which would allow us to pick out things that would be what we want but still within our budget.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
As someone who seeks out old homes, a house built in 1981 would not tick that box for me. If the alternative is building and hand-picking everything you want and doing it all for $200,000, I would do that for sure.

Actually, now I'm thinking -- why would you even consider the 1981 home? Sounds like the new home will be newer, more to your taste, and cheaper, and you won't have to live in a construction zone.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 AM

Good point!

The new construction would cost anywhere between $200k - $260. So it will be more, but like you said it would be newer and to our taste.

The reason why I'm entertaining the thought of remodeling is because my wife suggested it, so I'm trying to gather more information on the matter before we come to a decision.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to this View Post
That's a good point! My mom mentioned the same thing in regards to buying the least expensive house in an area surrounded by more expensive homes.
So now you know what majority of the buyers including your mom prefers. So the moment you make your home the most expensive home in the block you would filter off majority of the home buyers. Now why would you do that. Only if you plan on living there forever.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Don't do it unless you're going to live there a long time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It rarely makes good financial sense to be the most expensive house in the area.

Put your money into a home whose value is bolstered by the homes around it, not downgraded by the home around it.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
Financially, it's usually best to find a house that has already received a high-quality renovation (including infrastructure updates as needed - plumbing, electrical, HVAC, foundation, etc) that you can live with. Virtually no home renovation projects increase a home's value more than they cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston