Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
At one time Westfield was the school to be at..how things have changed

And who would've imagine areas way out the way would be in the same boat as inner city schools
I lived in the area 1999-2006. So I get that it's been awhile.

Last night I was at the Tommy Tune Musical Theatre Awards with my daughters' highly ranked, and well funded Katy ISD school. Our school was shut out, but Westfield won several awards. And we got to see them perform since they were up for Best Musical this year.

They were outstanding!

I get it. It's just their theatre program. Quite possibly the rest of the school could be crap. But they certainly pulled off what my child's well funded theatre program could not. As a former Westfield neighbor, I was super proud of them!

Money often comes before talent, especially in public school fine arts education. If your child is a good student and talented, you probably move out of the "bad school" if at all possible. So what of those students who remain? And I imagine if they even have a theatre booster club, it isn't nearly as funded as many of the other highly ranked suburban schools.

I guess my point is, a good (even great!) education can be found in a that school all the "good parents" fight so hard to avoid.

Let's just say, there wasn't any other Spring ISD school honored at Tommy Tunes this year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times
Congratulations to The Westfield Theatre Department for receiving (10) Tommy Tune Award nominations for our 2016-17 fall musical The Wiz.. Since its inception in 2002 the Tommy Tune Awards has grown to be the largest celebration of High School Musical Theatre in Houston. The annual awards ceremony sponsored by Theatre Under the Stars recognizes excellence of high school students and teachers throughout the Houston metropolitan area. After evaluating the 45 participating Houston-area high school productions, a team of Houston based theatre professionals nominated 165+ participants in 15 award categories.

Westfield High School’s The Wiz received 10 nominations out of 15 categories:
Best Choreography
Best Direction
Best Overall Production
Best Ensemble and Chorus
Best Stage Crew and Technical Execution
Best Leading Actor: Dontrevion Young for the role of the Lion
Best Supporting Actress: Divina Ito for the role of Evillene
Best Supporting Actor: Cullen Dyer for the role of Tinman
Best Supporting Actor: Brett Mills for the role of Scarecrow
Best Featured Performer: Brianna Wyatt for the role Aunt Em and Glenda

Westfield will participate in the Tommy Tune Awards show at 7:00 pm April 18th at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. The "Tony-style"televised event will feature: Best Leading Actor: Dontrevion Young, Best Supporting Actors: Cullen Dyer and Brett Mills, FULL CAST performance in the Best Overall Production and (2) Westfield students in the opening and closing numbers and the winners of each category will be announced at the ceremony. Congrats to the Cast and Crew of The Wiz on a JOB WELL DONE.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
http://www.springisd.org/site/defaul...=6029&PageID=1

Good to hear that Westfield has a good theater department!

How do you think a school like Westfield should attract suburban parents? Should it try the same tactics inner city magnet schools use, or is there something else they could do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Congratulations to The Westfield Theatre Department for receiving (10) Tommy Tune Award nominations for our 2016-17 fall musical The Wiz.. Since its inception in 2002 the Tommy Tune Awards has grown to be the largest celebration of High School Musical Theatre in Houston. The annual awards ceremony sponsored by Theatre Under the Stars recognizes excellence of high school students and teachers throughout the Houston metropolitan area. After evaluating the 45 participating Houston-area high school productions, a team of Houston based theatre professionals nominated 165+ participants in 15 award categories.

Westfield High School’s The Wiz received 10 nominations out of 15 categories:
Best Choreography
Best Direction
Best Overall Production
Best Ensemble and Chorus
Best Stage Crew and Technical Execution
Best Leading Actor: Dontrevion Young for the role of the Lion
Best Supporting Actress: Divina Ito for the role of Evillene
Best Supporting Actor: Cullen Dyer for the role of Tinman
Best Supporting Actor: Brett Mills for the role of Scarecrow
Best Featured Performer: Brianna Wyatt for the role Aunt Em and Glenda

Westfield will participate in the Tommy Tune Awards show at 7:00 pm April 18th at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. The "Tony-style"televised event will feature: Best Leading Actor: Dontrevion Young, Best Supporting Actors: Cullen Dyer and Brett Mills, FULL CAST performance in the Best Overall Production and (2) Westfield students in the opening and closing numbers and the winners of each category will be announced at the ceremony. Congrats to the Cast and Crew of The Wiz on a JOB WELL DONE.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Hey! I found the graphs which show free/reduced lunch percentages!

What I find interesting about Spring High School is that its test scores seem to lag behind those of majority minority schools in Katy ISD like Morton Ranch: https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...59/school.aspx and Mayde Creek https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...01/school.aspx - Or CFISD ones like Cypress Ridge https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...66/school.aspx and Jersey Village https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...86/school.aspx even though their free lunch percentages are similar to Spring High's

Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What I find interesting about Spring High School is that its test scores seem to lag behind those of majority minority schools in Katy ISD like Morton Ranch:
That's crazy, how can a school full of minorities being doing good #sarcasm

Maybe it's more about income than race.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
Westfield is suburban..lol..just like Morton Ranch....areas change if there are ways to change so the district has to adapt

but anyone who followed could see it would change

Aldine was blue collar white but rezoning to distribute blacks from Acres Home once their high school closed changed the district....Greenspoint then began to turn and there wasn't a big need to rezone after as that was the "roughest" area along with Haverstock (which went to Nimitz). But it was isolated

However, people move and Spring ISD contains plenty of first time homebuyer options off Veterans, etc. plus the over building of apartments so everything just crept north until we get what we have now. Also, the lack of city limits and only Harris County jurisdiction hurts as they don't care what's built

Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM

I imagine those things contribute a lot to Westfield and DeKaneys issues. Apparently Spring HS doesn't have as many apartments.

I know Morton Ranch, Mayde Creek, and Cy Springs are also in unincorporated areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Westfield is suburban..lol..just like Morton Ranch....areas change if there are ways to change so the district has to adapt

but anyone who followed could see it would change

Aldine was blue collar white but rezoning to distribute blacks from Acres Home once their high school closed changed the district....Greenspoint then began to turn and there wasn't a big need to rezone after as that was the "roughest" area along with Haverstock (which went to Nimitz). But it was isolated

However, people move and Spring ISD contains plenty of first time homebuyer options off Veterans, etc. plus the over building of apartments so everything just crept north until we get what we have now. Also, the lack of city limits and only Harris County jurisdiction hurts as they don't care what's built

Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 7,128 times
There is a difference in people who come from low income backgrounds and people who have a "ghetto" mentality/lifestyle. There are tons of families who are low income, but have standards/morals - and parent their children. However, people from ghetto type lifestyles usually do not have the same type of standards as the typical family. Those children usually raise themselves and have the attitude "it's me or you". So education is not something they think is necessary. Unfortunately Spring ISD has a lot of the ghetto lifestyle people who live in the subsidized housing south of 1960. Ghetto can be any race - it's a lifestyle. When comparing different schools it's good to understand the type of low income people it refers to - as it's not always apples to apples.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:25 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I wonder of Klein ISD would have any incentive to merge with Spring ISD, now that the latter has Exxon. If this happens, some areas currently in Spring ISD could be rezoned to, say, Klein High School.
You don't know how small is Exxon Mobil area compared to Klein ISD.
That's like marrying a crazy girl only because she has pretty eyes.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You don't know how small is Exxon Mobil area compared to Klein ISD.
That's like marrying a crazy girl only because she has pretty eyes.
It's all about the tax money that can be generated from the campus and the businesses around it. Wilmer-Hutchins ISD was in trouble and its students were difficult to educate, but Dallas ISD was more than happy to pick up the tab and annex WHISD because of the Union Pacific Intermodal Terminal being developed there: http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/hope-chest-6381245

However Lancaster ISD, which was given first choice, did refuse to take WHISD. It's possible that a smaller district would have more trouble digesting such a merger compared to a larger one. Perhaps Aldine ISD would rather take over Spring ISD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng1711 View Post
Ghetto can be any race - it's a lifestyle.
The Youtuber Daddyofive is indeed a testament to that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston