U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 AM

113 posts, read 331,934 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My dh and I are living in las vegas right now and I'm in the last couple of semesters of nursing school. I'll have my RN by the end of this summer. We've been here for about 5 years now and want to make a change. We are considering the houston or galveston area. We'll be visiting there during my spring break. Any nurses out there know how hard it is for a new grad to get a job? Also, any areas we should look at in houston or galveston in terms of living? We'll be visiting in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Dee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM

7,040 posts, read 10,186,072 times
If you have and kids the schools in Galveston are ghetto they just suck soundering areas have better schools. Houston is a great choice check out the south west side right near the loop Willow Meadows Willow Bend Meyerland West Bury & Maplewood area low crime close to everything nice home $250 to $400K

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM

8,308 posts, read 36,212,057 times
Dee,

My wife is an ICU nurse here. You aren't going to have trouble finding a job in H-town. Depending on which hospital you select you'll probably start at about $25/hour which should translate to $50K-$65K/yr. You may be thinking Galveston because you want to be close to the beach, but Galveston is really a commercial fishing venue more than a beautiful, touristy beach. No surfing unless there is a hurricane in the gulf, no white sand and clear blue water, and lots of places with shifting banks that can be very dangerous. I love Galveston for golf, hunting and fishing, but we rarely go for swimming and sun. Also, if you live in Houston you are still only 45 minutes from Galveston (without traffic of course). Houston will have almost limitless employment opportunities for RN's and TONS of affordable housing, whether it be new-construction in the suburbs or some pockets of nice, affordable neighborhoods closer to town and the med center.

As far as neighborhoods to visit while you are here, (and I'm more than a little bit biased) you may want to check out Willowbend, Willow Meadows, Meyerland, Westbury, and perhaps Garden Oaks. Go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation, select "find a home" then "single family" then enter the above neighborhood names in the search criteria. You'll be able to search by price range and get maps of their locations.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,212,987 times
Houston would be a better fit in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 PM

874 posts, read 2,690,366 times
You didn't mention kids, so I am assuming there are none? If no kids, then either one might work - depends on what you are looking for in the area.

If you have kids and will send them to public school, I would advise against Galveston. I lived there for several years, my DH is from there, and his family members still live there, so I am familiar with the school system there.
If no kids, then Galveston could fit in to your plans. UTMB is always looking for good nurses. What does DH do? That could be a factor as well.

I would definitely suggest visiting both on your break. Houston is quite large so you really do need to pinpoint some areas before you go. Clear Lake is about halfway between Galveston and downtown Houston (although you likely wouldn't be working in downtown Houston), so it's not a bad option, but I don't know about the job market for nurses there.

When is your spring break? Schools in many of the major cities in Texas are out the week of March 17. If you are heading to Galveston, keep in mind that it may be a bit more crowded than is typical. Galveston is not known for Spring Break like Padre is, but we did still get some crowds during that time period.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 PM

113 posts, read 331,934 times
Thanks for all the info. No, no kids. And my husband is a mailman so he will be able to transfer with no problems. We were thinking Galveston because of the water. We're not really surfers or anything, its just that being in very dry vegas for awhile makes us want to see greenery and water. Corpus Christi and San Antonio were also suggested to us and I think we'll try to visit those places too. San Antonio seems a bit too large though and with Corpus I'd be afraid of too many college kids. We're both pushing middle age and quite frankly we really just want a laid back environment, not alot of nite life and the like. Anyone know the starting salary for new RN grads in Galveston? Do they routinely hire new grads and have internship programs? Thanks
Dee

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM

150 posts, read 639,698 times
No info. on nursing salaries, but FWIW, UTMB has billboards on the Mainland advertising what a great place UTMB is to work as a nurse and Galv is to live (which leads me to believe they must be hiring!) I live in Galv now and my family will soon be moving out of state. There are lots of people I wouldn't recommend Galv to (i.e. people with school-aged kids, young singles, people afraid of diversity.) But in your situation, I would recommend checking it out. Spend a couple of days/nights here over springbreak and see for yourself. The lifestyle is laidback, you can grill outsidea nd garden year-round, the beaches are not beautiful - but they are not horrible either, and you can fish, boat, sunbathe, walk the beach, etc. Living in the histrorical district there is always lots to do - plays, festivals, artwalk, concerts @ the Grand Opera House, block parties, farmer's market, people watching, *working on your house!*, etc. I would take Galveston over the boring Houston suburbs (where I grew up) any day.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,297,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
No info. on nursing salaries, but FWIW, UTMB has billboards on the Mainland advertising what a great place UTMB is to work as a nurse and Galv is to live (which leads me to believe they must be hiring!) I live in Galv now and my family will soon be moving out of state. There are lots of people I wouldn't recommend Galv to (i.e. people with school-aged kids, young singles, people afraid of diversity.) But in your situation, I would recommend checking it out. Spend a couple of days/nights here over springbreak and see for yourself. The lifestyle is laidback, you can grill outsidea nd garden year-round, the beaches are not beautiful - but they are not horrible either, and you can fish, boat, sunbathe, walk the beach, etc. Living in the histrorical district there is always lots to do - plays, festivals, artwalk, concerts @ the Grand Opera House, block parties, farmer's market, people watching, *working on your house!*, etc. I would take Galveston over the boring Houston suburbs (where I grew up) any day.

Without beating around the bush....

Afraid of diversity? Galveston is mainly White-Black-Hispanic. Houston and even a few suburbs are more diverse. I think the 'diversity' you're talking about people being afraid of is more than enough visible homelessness, poverty, panhandling, and loitering, and a disproportionately large rate of forcible rape for such a small town:
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

(Though that homeless guy doing calisthenics on the Broadway St. median is a hoot to watch.)

And UTMB is an ok place to work -- my wife has been there for awhile now, but had to be very proactive to advance in a place that has stagnating salaries. There was at least one round of massive layoffs in one department not long ago. UTMB is supposedly the only big money-loser in the entire UT system, based on the published figures she's brought home. There is a good amount of turnover in Presidents that throw a lot of smoke and mirrors to the workforce, who seem to blindly take it. And from what medical incompetence she has seen in her tenure, she will never EVER go there for any treatment.

As far as *working on your house* I couldn't agree more. There is plenty of dilapidation on the island that has been there for years that needs fixin'.

To be fair, I will say I visit Galveston every other month or so as it is not without its charm, but there are a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't want to live there. The Galveston 'sales pitch' pictures you see online do not tell most of the whole story.

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 13,844 times
Look at clear lake. It will still give you the water life, but without some of the above mentioned downfalls of Galveston.

As for getting away from the dry Las Vegas air, that will be accomplished in either Houston or Galveston.

You mentioned that San Antonio would be too big. Houston is much larger. Give San Antonio a look. It is beautiful.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM

690 posts, read 2,472,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefromlv View Post
San Antonio seems a bit too large though...
If you think San Antonio seems too large, Houston is not the place for you. However, you wouldn't have any trouble finding a job here, as others have noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston