Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 08:44 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of making a trip to Galveston this spring or summer (I'm in Austin). Haven't been there since the 70s. I've been touring Galveston using Google Streetview, and am really fascinated with the historic neighborhoods and the city overall. Here are some questions I have for Galveston residents and/or those who really know the city well. Most of my questions are about trees.

Based on Streetview, it looks like there are a large number of mature or older palms still standing after Ike, which was in 2008. But there are very few old oaks, which in the past the city was famous for. Does anyone know why the salt water would have killed the oaks but not the palms? Does it have to do with how shallow the root systems are for the oaks, and thus they would have been more susceptible to the salt water that flowed into parts of the city?

I see on Streetview that there a many new oaks all over the place, including on Broadway, which I remember as a beautiful drive. I'm surprised at how big the new oaks are already. But it's been almost 9 years, so I guess that could explain it.

Are there still oleanders all over the city? That's what I remember most from my childhood visits. I think it was during the summer that the city was ablaze in oleander blooms.

On Streetview, I'm seeing a lot of something that looks like an exotic looking pine. People have planted them in yards, and there are some in public or commercial spaces. They're really beautiful. Might they be Norfolk pines?

What would be the best part of the city to tour for historic homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:34 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Based on Streetview, it looks like there are a large number of mature or older palms still standing after Ike, which was in 2008. But there are very few old oaks, which in the past the city was famous for. Does anyone know why the salt water would have killed the oaks but not the palms? Does it have to do with how shallow the root systems are for the oaks, and thus they would have been more susceptible to the salt water that flowed into parts of the city?
Palms are indeed more tolerate of extreme conditions than many hardwood trees, so they can end up surviving/proliferating in areas/conditions that the hardwoods don't grow as well in (i.e. drought, strong winds/storms salt intrusion, etc). The design of the trees plays a huge role in this:
https://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...urricanes.html

This is why people associate palm trees with beaches; they can thrive in the sandy conditions that are unsuitable for lots of hardwood trees, and thus can dominate the scene along the coast, whereas they face more competition from the hardwoods in inland areas with more suitable soil.

Quote:
I see on Streetview that there a many new oaks all over the place, including on Broadway, which I remember as a beautiful drive. I'm surprised at how big the new oaks are already. But it's been almost 9 years, so I guess that could explain it.

Are there still oleanders all over the city? That's what I remember most from my childhood visits. I think it was during the summer that the city was ablaze in oleander blooms.
Yes, the oaks grew in quite fast. And there are still oleanders at Galveston.

Quote:
On Streetview, I'm seeing a lot of something that looks like an exotic looking pine. People have planted them in yards, and there are some in public or commercial spaces. They're really beautiful. Might they be Norfolk pines?

What would be the best part of the city to tour for historic homes?
Yep, those are Norfolk Island Pines:
https://txtriffidranch.wordpress.com...k-island-pine/

Try East End Historic District for tours of the old homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston