Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,521,447 times

Advertisements

Hello! I couldn't find clear information online so I decided to open a new thread here.

I'd like to make some outdoor home improvements but without raising property taxes. My mailing address is in Houston.

I have an uncovered patio (piece of concrete slab) that I would like to transform into covered patio. Will a patio roof addition require a permit from the city and eventually raise my property taxes?

If so, then what about a pergola that won't be physically attached to the house? I am considering buying a pergola kit or covered patio kit and do this addiction myself.

And also what about the above the ground swimming pool? Do I need a city permit for it?

Oh I forgot about a gazebo. Do I need a city permit for it?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Last edited by Ghost Town; 04-23-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Having a Houston mailing address doesn't mean you are in the City of Houston. Check your address at the HCAD site, Harris County Appraisal District, or look at your voter registration. Either of those will tell you whether or not you live in the City of Houston. Here's a CoH top 10 permit facts link https://edocs.publicworks.houstontx....permitting.pdf and the code enforcement page https://www.houstonpermittingcenter....forcement.html

It looks like an attached cover requires a permit, a pergola would not, unless you want electrical work done for lights or fans. Houston does not sell electrical permits to homeowners, only to master electricians.

In any case, call the code enforcement folks for answers.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Having a Houston mailing address doesn't mean you are in the City of Houston. Check your address at the HCAD site, Harris County Appraisal District, or look at your voter registration. Either of those will tell you whether or not you live in the City of Houston. Here's a CoH top 10 permit facts link https://edocs.publicworks.houstontx....permitting.pdf and the code enforcement page https://www.houstonpermittingcenter....forcement.html

It looks like an attached cover requires a permit, a pergola would not, unless you want electrical work done for lights or fans. Houston does not sell electrical permits to homeowners, only to master electricians.

In any case, call the code enforcement folks for answers.
Thank you! I am inclined towards pergola.
I can run lights with the extension cord from the outlet on the exterior wall. In this case no electrician will be needed.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
Neighbor did exactly what you were describing (enclosed attached patio with roof, turning it into a covered porch). Houston permit was required. His 2017 HCAD value shot up by 12%, everyone else's on the street stayed the same.

No good deed goes unpunished...

Old 04-24-2017, 01:33 PM

672 posts, read 846,838 times
I put a covered pergola up, with ceiling fan/lights and no permit was required. I'm in Montgomery County though, so things may be diff up there.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Neighbor did exactly what you were describing (enclosed attached patio with roof, turning it into a covered porch). Houston permit was required. His 2017 HCAD value shot up by 12%, everyone else's on the street stayed the same.

yup
HCAD is based on COVERED footage not CONDITIONED footage so once you attach that roof to the existing structure it becomes covered.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Permits and fees

As others have already said, if it is covered and attached to the house, it will require a permit. The City of Houston also considers it livable space... yes, that's right, it does not matter that you cannot eat and sleep in it. And if it is a covered space, even a pergula, it will be subject to a drainage fee becasue the surface is impermeable. The drainage fee then is about 3.5 cents per foot, and you have to pay it before they stamp your plans. Oh yes, you need plans.

I say all that with a tongue-in-cheek tone, but it really is legite. I just got done with the Permitting Office for the city for some work I am doing. I have a porch, and terrace, and the city said it was 'liveable', and charged me a fee for the drainage. As long as there is no 'cover', you are okay. And as someone else mentinoed, only a Master Electrician can pull a permit, but any Journeyman, or electrical contractor can wire the house. Heck, even you can wire it if you follow the code, but the person who pulled the permit is responsible for it.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know... good luck!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post

Ouch! That's even larger increase than I expected

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As others have already said, if it is covered and attached to the house, it will require a permit. The City of Houston also considers it livable space... yes, that's right, it does not matter that you cannot eat and sleep in it. And if it is a covered space, even a pergula, it will be subject to a drainage fee becasue the surface is impermeable. The drainage fee then is about 3.5 cents per foot, and you have to pay it before they stamp your plans. Oh yes, you need plans.
Thanks! The drainage thing is understandable. But is it a one-time fee?
And why do I need plans if I get pergola from Lowe's and don't attach it to the house?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 PM

I could't find an answer, but maybe somebody knows: is permit required to install a small concrete foundation (slab) for a utility shed? Sheds smaller that 120 sf do not require permits, but what about shed foundations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: