Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times

Advertisements

Why won't this thread just die???

Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelmanchic View Post
Im with SouthernBoy, why all the ignorance? Im not from Atl, but i did attend Spelman. I am considering moving to Houston. I am coming from a very SEGREGATED place and I want something better (both I and my fiance do). From my research Houston sound like a cool diverse place for any race/ethnicity, is it really?
People will tell you all the time that Houston is diverse. You can look at the demographics and the culture to see how diverse that place is. I've never been, but I'm just amazed at how a Southern city can be just as diverse as a western city such as LA. Houston and Atlanta are similar in size, but Houston is a little bigger than Atlanta; it has 3 ethinicity groups that have are over one million in population. I think that's pretty neat because you can be within a "black mecca," but still have huge Hispanic, white, Asian influences. These people on the Houston forum are very friendly and helpful (hence my little knowledge about the city); I love these guys.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelmanchic View Post
Im with SouthernBoy, why all the ignorance? Im not from Atl, but i did attend Spelman. I am considering moving to Houston. I am coming from a very SEGREGATED place and I want something better (both I and my fiance do). From my research Houston sound like a cool diverse place for any race/ethnicity, is it really?
There are Historically black areas of Houston such as 3rd ward, Sunnyside etc, but that is about 0.5% of the city. The city is highly integrated so just about anywhere you move to will be diverse.

The suburbs a generation ago were mostly white, but over the years the suburbs have grown to rival the city in terms of Diversity with the black population increasing to over 100% in parts and the Asian and Hispanic populations growing in these areas right along with it.

No matter what race you are there is gonna be a lot of you here living with people of other Races.

But like I tell Southern Boy, come see for yourself.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 AM

20 posts, read 42,841 times
Well well. Thanks SouthernBoy205 and Htownlove! I cant wait to move and start my new life in Houston!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There are Historically black areas of Houston such as 3rd ward, Sunnyside etc, but that is about 0.5% of the city. The city is highly integrated so just about anywhere you move to will be diverse.

The suburbs a generation ago were mostly white, but over the years the suburbs have grown to rival the city in terms of Diversity with the black population increasing to over 100% in parts and the Asian and Hispanic populations growing in these areas right along with it.

No matter what race you are there is gonna be a lot of you here living with people of other Races.

You always have great info for people.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
I just looked at this thread again and it's become epic. Some of ya'll are funny. I lived in Atlanta for a short time and there is no way that anyone could ever compare the lifestyle of Houston with that of Atlanta. The only thing that's faster about Atlanta is how people drive on 285.

Blacks from Houston have no swagg? Please. (and who still uses that word by the way?) Atlanta is driven by that marketed image of alleged "swagg". In my experience, it's all hype.

Houston is country, compared to Atlanta? In what way? Maybe we have more people that drive trucks. That's about all I can think of. Much more cosmopolitan city overall. Atlanta is somewhat cosmopolitan but does not compare to Houston by any stretch of the imagination.

I will say this though, black culture in general is much more pervasive in Atlanta than in Houston. Part of this is history (Atlanta was one of the centers of the civil rights movement, Houston was more extraneous in that regard), part of this is critical mass, part of this is marketing. I think that's what many ex-ATLiens miss about Atlanta. And that's fair to say. Either way, as a young black man, I liked Atlanta quite a bit actually. However, Houston traffic doesn't hold a candle to Atlanta. Driving 75/85, 400, 285, 75, or 85 during large portions of the day is a recipe for a traffic disaster. I didn't have a lot of experience with 20, and honestly didn't see as much traffic on there generally speaking, but i'm sure it sucks as well. Atlanta is a great town for a young single black man. Lots of single beautiful women, lots of fun to be had, but practically speaking, you can find pretty much anything you can find in Atlanta in Houston, without the infrastructural constraints and at a lower cost. And there are many many gorgeous women of every ethnicity in Houston. Atlanta? Yes, but way fewer Persian, Pakistani, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese, Nigerian, etc. So it depends on what you like.

Both great cities, but for me Houston is a better city to live AND work. Are people even working anymore in Atlanta nowadays? I remember when I was in college in Virginia, EVERYONE wanted to move to Atlanta and work after graduation. Funny how many of those same people are calling me up every other week trying to get info on Houston. Funny how many of those same people end up moving down here and most of them are black. Funny how they don't seem to leave either. Hmmmm...

Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

112 posts, read 257,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I just looked at this thread again and it's become epic. Some of ya'll are funny. I lived in Atlanta for a short time and there is no way that anyone could ever compare the lifestyle of Houston with that of Atlanta. The only thing that's faster about Atlanta is how people drive on 285.

Blacks from Houston have no swagg? Please. (and who still uses that word by the way?) Atlanta is driven by that marketed image of alleged "swagg". In my experience, it's all hype.

Houston is country, compared to Atlanta? In what way? Maybe we have more people that drive trucks. That's about all I can think of. Much more cosmopolitan city overall. Atlanta is somewhat cosmopolitan but does not compare to Houston by any stretch of the imagination.

I will say this though, black culture in general is much more pervasive in Atlanta than in Houston. Part of this is history (Atlanta was one of the centers of the civil rights movement, Houston was more extraneous in that regard), part of this is critical mass, part of this is marketing. I think that's what many ex-ATLiens miss about Atlanta. And that's fair to say. Either way, as a young black man, I liked Atlanta quite a bit actually. However, Houston traffic doesn't hold a candle to Atlanta. Driving 75/85, 400, 285, 75, or 85 during large portions of the day is a recipe for a traffic disaster. I didn't have a lot of experience with 20, and honestly didn't see as much traffic on there generally speaking, but i'm sure it sucks as well. Atlanta is a great town for a young single black man. Lots of single beautiful women, lots of fun to be had, but practically speaking, you can find pretty much anything you can find in Atlanta in Houston, without the infrastructural constraints and at a lower cost. And there are many many gorgeous women of every ethnicity in Houston. Atlanta? Yes, but way fewer Persian, Pakistani, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese, Nigerian, etc. So it depends on what you like.

Both great cities, but for me Houston is a better city to live AND work. Are people even working anymore in Atlanta nowadays? I remember when I was in college in Virginia, EVERYONE wanted to move to Atlanta and work after graduation. Funny how many of those same people are calling me up every other week trying to get info on Houston. Funny how many of those same people end up moving down here and most of them are black. Funny how they don't seem to leave either. Hmmmm...

Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
Like it or not, it is true.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

Yeah, Atlanta is really becoming a victim of its own success. So much marketing done in Atlanta. You had people moving there (especially Blacks) just because it was Atlanta. Every Black movie I see is based in Atlanta thanks to Tyler Perry. All of the "hottest" rappers were from Atlanta, etc. What the marketers didn't tell you was Atlanta's job situation is fragile due to its industries (what industries Atlanta has can be relocated anywhere), and Atlanta's bad infrastructure (MARTA is short, too few freeways, and the secondary road system is horrible).

Having said that, Atlanta is still an attractive place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston