Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM

388 posts, read 687,222 times

Advertisements

We are about to have choices wide open to us for a move next year. I have lived in Houston proper and grew up there, so I am not looking to return. We are set on a suburb, currently live in one and plan to stay in one.

This being said, please help me choose an area to explore that might be our next home...

We live in Fort Bend right now, having come from Sugar Land. I have mixed reviews on SL.
We are not sold on Katy...we just don't feel at home there, despite popularity and shopping and eating there frequently. These are the areas we are considering:

- Cypress
- The Woodlands
- Tomball
- Clear Lake
- Friendswood
- Pearland
- possibly Spring
Yes I am aware they are on different sides of the map.

Here is what is important to us:
- Sense of community - involvement, families, citizens visible and take pride
- Education - I believe education is what we make of it, but am I wrong in thinking that my list is pretty equal across the education board? I come from HISD so....

Would be nice to have:
- small town feel
- Stores/shopping....but I am not a must have here...I am willing to drive some...it is Houston after all!

If you live in these places...why do you like it? Why did you pick it?
What has your experience been?

Open to names of communities or general areas

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
If you grew up in Houston and currently live in Sugar Land than why do you need our opinions on where you should move? You should really already know enough about the Houston area to make that decision on your own.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
If you grew up in Houston and currently live in Sugar Land than why do you need our opinions on where you should move? You should really already know enough about the Houston area to make that decision on your own.
Oh please. Is this not a message/advice board? Ever hear of having a discussion to learn more than you already know?

I DID grow up in Houston. Houston proper. I knew nothing of suburbs until I dated someone in my 20's who grew up in Sugar Land. Even then, I had no clue. I still don't know much about other areas, hence the asking.

You sound jealous that we have choices or something weird like that. Or maybe just miserable?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,874 times
Well I live in Sugar Land. I don't know what your gripes about SL are. The only other place in your list I would live in if we had no commute restrictions would be The Woodlands. But even then, I wouldn't be as happy there as I am in Sugar Land because it is too far from Houston itself.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
A friend lives in Hockley and works in Tomball. He said Tomball is cheaper.
Cypress - Property taxes are so high. Tax rate that is. And the place is getting more crowded. Plus you deal with 290 all the time and that HWY is always torn up or being worked on.

The Woodlands - Personal preference here but I wouldn't move there. I know it's a general assumption but those trees up there cause power outages and damages on homes when they come down. I think of mold issues from Allison and property damage when I think of the Woodlands. But that's me.

Why not look at Fulshear. It has a small town feel but has Cross Creek there and a few other areas with expensive and nice homes.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Well I live in Sugar Land. I don't know what your gripes about SL are. The only other place in your list I would live in if we had no commute restrictions would be The Woodlands. But even then, I wouldn't be as happy there as I am in Sugar Land because it is too far from Houston itself.
Thank you. What do you specifically love about SL?

I don't have gripes about SL, per se but it's just not a place I've completely loved. For starters, it's nothing but concrete. When I drive that is all I see. There might be a few parks but it's just green space, not places set up for recreation and enjoyment. Some of the neighborhoods have dedicated centers but again, nothing has blown me away.

The Woodlands is my top pick, actually. Then I found this list and it seemed I was confirmed. But I am not sure of the validity:
https://www.houstonproperties.com/ho...ouston-suburbs

Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
A friend lives in Hockley and works in Tomball. He said Tomball is cheaper.
Cypress - Property taxes are so high. Tax rate that is. And the place is getting more crowded. Plus you deal with 290 all the time and that HWY is always torn up or being worked on.

The Woodlands - Personal preference here but I wouldn't move there. I know it's a general assumption but those trees up there cause power outages and damages on homes when they come down. I think of mold issues from Allison and property damage when I think of the Woodlands. But that's me.

Why not look at Fulshear. It has a small town feel but has Cross Creek there and a few other areas with expensive and nice homes.
Tomball is cheaper than Hockley? I agree that Cypress is getting more crowded... but for good reason. Lots of family oriented activities are available, tons of restaurants and shopping and CFISD is one of the best run districts with the majority of schools performing well. 290 is a nightmare no doubt.

Thank you for your perspective on the Woodlands. It's something I hadn't considered.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Thank you. What do you specifically love about SL?

I don't have gripes about SL, per se but it's just not a place I've completely loved. For starters, it's nothing but concrete. When I drive that is all I see. There might be a few parks but it's just green space, not places set up for recreation and enjoyment. Some of the neighborhoods have dedicated centers but again, nothing has blown me away.

The Woodlands is my top pick, actually. Then I found this list and it seemed I was confirmed. But I am not sure of the validity:
https://www.houstonproperties.com/ho...ouston-suburbs

Nothing but concrete? I love driving through first colony and seeing the oaks hanging over the streets. You don't really see that many other places in Houston, at least not in the suburbs. It is beautiful. New parks are being built near the Brazos and there are plans for an amphitheater, etc there. Sugar Land is the suburb closest to Houston. The Woodlands is so far away for example. We can decide to go in the loop for a restaurant, a museum, shopping, etc, and it really isn't a big deal. Then again, we have basically everything local, except Trader Joe's (argh!). We are zoned to great schools, we have a very diverse group of friends, and we love our neighborhood. We are just really happy here.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:54 AM

156 posts, read 154,821 times
I am going to throw League City in the mix. Great community, close to the beaches (if you want to call them that), great people, great schools, reasonable home prices - high property tax makes up for it though. Everything is close by and if not, Houston is a 30 min ride.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,363 times
Default Move to Sugarland, Clear Lake, Woodlands or Lake conroe

Sugarland is very nice and pretty safe and great schools.
Woodlands it great and well protected
Clear Lake is the most affluent now even over River Oaks.
Katy is not bad. Just stay away from the direct freeway.
Lake Conroe is lovely, MY cousin lives out there and is a policeman
Friendswood was a very highly rated little City. I went to church out t here for 10 years while in Clear Lake.
Best to go way out to suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston