Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

I have been eyeing a car for a long time and find it cheaper in Kentucky. I travel to KY for work and I am planning on pulling the trigger there.

However, what would it take or how much would it cost for me to register my car in Texas? I would have to add that into my math.

And do I absolutely have to do the title transfer and / or pay Texas taxes too?

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Details here TXDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

You will have to pay some fees and the Texas sales tax.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
You don't have to register your vehicle in Texas until your state inspection expires on your car. A friend had moved from OK back to TX and waited until his state inspection expired. He said the delay was because his car insurance was cheaper and he didn't want to pay more once he registered in Texas. Sure he got stopped by the police for out of state plates but then he pulled out his military ID. !! Anyway, something to think about. You might want to register your car in KY and see if doing that and insurance is cheaper -- Wait as long as you can to reregister here in TX.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
You don't have to register your vehicle in Texas until your state inspection expires on your car. A friend had moved from OK back to TX and waited until his state inspection expired. He said the delay was because his car insurance was cheaper and he didn't want to pay more once he registered in Texas. Sure he got stopped by the police for out of state plates but then he pulled out his military ID. !! Anyway, something to think about. You might want to register your car in KY and see if doing that and insurance is cheaper -- Wait as long as you can to reregister here in TX.
WRONG! From the site I linked to above:

Within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to Texas, you must obtain a vehicle inspection and visit your county tax assessor-collector to title and register the vehicle. The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled.

Military personnel are subject to different rules, and can keep their vehicles registered in their home state if desired. For the rest of us, it's 30 days to get the registration moved.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:22 PM

84 posts, read 111,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
While you've already been called out for the 30 day rule, your story doesn't even make sense because OK did away with safety inspections in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: