U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,980,251 times

Advertisements

Have an opportunity to move to Houston or Dallas and need to decide.

I realize this is the Houston forum. However, I imagine there must be individuals in this forum who have lived or spent a lot of time in Dallas also.

What are your opinions about being gay in Houston vs Dallas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM

1,414 posts, read 4,197,714 times
Depends on what you are looking for. Are you heavily into the social and club scene, or more of a quiet coffee shop person? Do you have friends in either city?

Back in my early 20's (late 90's), my friends and I spent a lot of time analyzing this very question. We were all just out of school and the social/bar/club scene was important to us., and so as we graduated and started our careers, we primarily moved to one of these cities. My Dallas friends are convinced that Big D is better than Houston, that it is more attractive and has a trendier scene. (Generalizing) Houston gays think Dallas gays are pretentious and think more about their leased BMWs than their friends. The reality is that both cities have more in common than they thing: Both are large, southern cities (Dallas being more like Atlanta IMO), and both are fine places to be gay. Dallas has a prettier scene/crowd, but Houston's overall population actually seems to be more diverse and open to different people. Plus there is the hot Houston job market. So again, it depends on what you are looking for.

At the end of the day, it's about where your best friends are. That is tons more important than how much nicer Dallas' JR's is than Houston's.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Default thank you

Thanks for taking the time to give me that info

Not really too much into the bar scene. More into coffeehouse culture and non-traditional church/spirituality, vegetarian and different ethnic foods, good gyms.

Does either sound like a better fit?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

156 posts, read 583,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Thanks for taking the time to give me that info

Not really too much into the bar scene. More into coffeehouse culture and non-traditional church/spirituality, vegetarian and different ethnic foods, good gyms.

Does either sound like a better fit?

Sounds more like Dallas to me, but moreso Austin...

Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM

8,307 posts, read 37,533,238 times
Dude, Dallas is totally gay. Check it out.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM

25,153 posts, read 51,865,501 times
Dallas is a gay paradise. Fort Worth has a laid back gay scene. Denton has gay friendly coffee houses etc. North Texas overall is pretty gay friendly except for certain counties that are hardcore conservative. But I'm sure im most areas of North Texas you would never be harassed or beaten up - in fact you would be welcomed! At worst hardcore Christians will snub you. Like u need them anyways

I'd stay away from Austin. Too boring. Way too small of a gay scene. If you want to retire with your husband/boyfriend then Austin *might* be good.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 339,917 times
Houston is very gay friendly as well. You'll find idiots wherever you go but I chose Houston because it's more affordable and the job market is much better. Not to mention it's close to Galveston and the beach, warmer in the winter, and as far as I'm concerned better all around. Good luck. Both are good though. Go where your heart takes you. We did and are very glad we did.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Wow. I can't decide.

Someone a few posts up said Dallas seemed like a better fit due to something I had written:
"Not really too much into the bar scene. More into coffeehouse culture and non-traditional church/spirituality, vegetarian and different ethnic foods, good gyms"

I am wondering why this description sounds more "Dallas"? thanks all

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,194,930 times
No idea... you can find what you're after in Houston, too.

You can keep making Houston or Dallas threads till the cows come home. They're both metros of around 6 million people. I'm sure you could find what you're looking for in either. You should visit and see which one strikes a chord with you most.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 PM

I have visited both and still can't figure it out! Don't have any friends in either city.

Hoping this forum's feedback will help me.

Which city would be better for middle aged and older gay guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston