Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM

348 posts, read 460,205 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband, myself and our 4 year old son are planning a move to Houston. The current job I'm looking into is in Greenway Plaza, and it seems the type of companies I'm looking to work for are around there or I-610, close to Memorial Park.

We're currently in NJ, but have not been here that long. I kind of like the area of NJ where we are (Essex County). Most of what I like are the trees and parks. So that led me to The Woodlands lol. I hear it's a terrible commute. It seems they have an 'express' bus, does anyone know how long it typically takes to get to the Greenway Plaza? Other areas we're considering are the Klein area. Our hope is to not go above $350K. Do you all have any suggestions? We would like good schools. My husband really wants at least 3,000 square feet and a 'newer' home. I'm fine with 2,500.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
fbf2006,

I know a great realtor that can help you out. I can give his contact information if you would like.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
I think Sugar Land would be a better commute than Klein

Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,569 times
But good luck with your price range to get all you are asking for. The property tax rates for new subdivisions is very high compared to property taxes in other states (over 3%). Better know for sure where you will work before deciding on a home.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:55 PM

694 posts, read 835,567 times
Greenway Plaza and Memorial Park are both South and West of Downtown......your easiest commutes are going to also be from the South and West of town, which is why Sugar Land was suggested. .........the Woodlands is mostly due North. You wouldn't enjoy the commute.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Thanks so far everyone!

When I say newer, I just mean not old. I don't really want a brand new house. Sugar Land doesn't really seem to be in our budget as I don't really see much inventory unlike in the other areas. Also, we'd like to be somewhat close to our friends in Conroe.

Are there any other leafy areas/subdivisions that can be suggested?

FYI, I bet the property tax rates in the newer subdivisions are less than in Essex County, NJ!

Old 06-25-2017, 04:47 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,000 times
Spring might be an option if you want to be somewhat close to Conroe, but as someone wonhas driven to and from Greenway Plaza from just about every side of town over the past 18 years, I can tell you that you won't enjoy that 45 commute unless you can get flexible hours to come and go early. There are mass transit options like the Woodlands Express to Greenway from 45 and the Woodlands area so check into that. More importantly, see if you can experience the commute first hand during the hours you'd be working to see if it's something you really want to commit to. It's really important to grasp just how bad traffic can be and make adjustments to where you want to live based on that threshold of pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Thanks so far everyone!

When I say newer, I just mean not old. I don't really want a brand new house. Sugar Land doesn't really seem to be in our budget as I don't really see much inventory unlike in the other areas. Also, we'd like to be somewhat close to our friends in Conroe.

Are there any other leafy areas/subdivisions that can be suggested?

FYI, I bet the property tax rates in the newer subdivisions are less than in Essex County, NJ!

Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
The commute to Greenway Plaza from a north suburb would be really miserable. Do you plan to visit your friends in Conroe every day because your husband need to drive to work every day. Personally I would rather drive 30 minutes a day to work and an hour and a half to visit someone then vice versa. Alternately you could get a house in Conroe and husband an apartment in town he can use for the week then come home on the weekends.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 PM

The husband is not the one that'd be commuting to Greenway Plaza.

haudi, thanks for your suggestions. I do plan to try to experience the commute when there's more certainty. I did ask about the Woodlands express bus in my initial post. Does anyone know the typical commute times for it?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:56 PM

814 posts, read 759,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
The husband is not the one that'd be commuting to Greenway Plaza.

haudi, thanks for your suggestions. I do plan to try to experience the commute when there's more certainty. I did ask about the Woodlands express bus in my initial post. Does anyone know the typical commute times for it?
That's like maybe 45 mins without traffic. The problem is Houston has a lot of traffic during daylight hours, and rush hour is like New York City type of traffic. So unless you work an unconventional schedule, it's probably not a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston