Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 17,425 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family is considering relocating to the The Woodlands and we want to know what its like living there. We're in our late thirties with three children.

Can you please help? Some of our questions include:

1. Which are the best schools?

2. What are the key differences between the different villages?

3. Which areas are more prone to crime? Is it is necessary to live in a gated community?

4. Does the area offer a great mix of activities? We don't want to end up in a dead zone

5. How is the housing market currently performing?

Sorry for asking so many questions. We just really want to know about the area from its residents.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM

84 posts, read 120,477 times
1. I don't have kids so I would not know with experience but what I hear from people is that all schools in TW are good. Those that are in Conroe ISD are usually better. But again, this is not something I know from experience.

2. Villages are organized very similarly, with a village center shopping area, residential areas around it and trails covering everywhere. Each village is built in succession, so there are old villages like Grogan's Mill or Panther Creek where you won't be able to find new houses. The trees, parks are more mature here in older villages. Sterling Ridge and Creekside Park are the newest villages and you can actually find new built houses to buy. Used houses are also 10 years old max in Creekside Park for instance. Locationwise, older villages are much closer to I-45, the mall and the Market Street where most things happen. Newer the village, further from the Town Center. I also observe newer villages attracting younger families more than the others. More established villages seem to have more long-time residents.

3. I think safety rating is pretty much the same everywhere. It is very safe compared to most parts of Houston and I would not worry about trying to find a gated community. Very few people do that in TW.

4. Yes, but it depends on what you like. If you are looking for outdoor sports- biking, jogging etc., it may be the best area for the Houston Metro. Lots of trails, parks, lakes etc. Cynthia Woods Pavillion hosts many events- sometimes very major artists- and is very attractive for performance arts. A good number of high quality restaurants, bars and shopping in the Town Center area mainly. However, if you are after a very vivid nightlife (bar-hopping), it is not your best option. I think it is more towards families, not so much for out-going singles. It is definitely not a dead zone.

5. The prices went very high a few years ago as Exxon was moving in the area. Lately, after the downturn in the O&G, it is not moving up but I don't see a much of a drop neither. Although you would still need to pay a premium to live in TW, it may be a really good time to buy now.

Hope these help!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 PM

84 posts, read 111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwitter01 View Post
Hello,

Our family is considering relocating to the The Woodlands and we want to know what its like living there. We're in our late thirties with three children.

3. Which areas are more prone to crime? Is it is necessary to live in a gated community?

4. Does the area offer a great mix of activities? We don't want to end up in a dead zone

Sorry for asking so many questions. We just really want to know about the area from its residents.

Thank you!
1) Buckalew, Deretchin, Tough, Galatas, and Bush were at the top (in that order) when schools were ranked this year- all in Conroe ISD.
2) Creekside is newest, and in Harris county (Tomball schools and higher taxes). Sterling Ridge is next newest. Grogan's Mill is oldest. All are fairly well treed, aside from Creekside, where they clear cut before building (other villages they only cleared for streets and houses.) All have a village center with grocery and other shops, in addition to Town Center where the mall and Market Street are located.
3) No, The Woodlands is one of the safest areas of the Houston metro. For example- I'm on the Sterling Ridge Village Board and we're having a "crime spree" of people leaving their cars unlocked and things going missing, otherwise, crime is fairly rare.
4) Yes, lots of outdoor activities and each village has a big village wide event, and there are also township wide free events. The Pavillion has concerts all year round, including symphony. Lots of kid friendly activities.
5) Slower than previously- things are sitting on the market longer, esp. in middle 300k to 800k.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 AM

101 posts, read 139,805 times
I would suspect prices may pull up with XTO folks from Ft Worth moving to the Exxon campus starting in 2018. I would buy before then so I wouldn't pay premium like back in 2012 when Exxon campus moved to town.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I think the opening of the Grand Parkway would have a bigger impact that the XTO people

The Grand Parkway has made The Woodlands much more appealing.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magni View Post
1. I don't have kids so I would not know with experience but what I hear from people is that all schools in TW are good. Those that are in Conroe ISD are usually better. But again, this is not something I know from experience.

2. Villages are organized very similarly, with a village center shopping area, residential areas around it and trails covering everywhere. Each village is built in succession, so there are old villages like Grogan's Mill or Panther Creek where you won't be able to find new houses. The trees, parks are more mature here in older villages. Sterling Ridge and Creekside Park are the newest villages and you can actually find new built houses to buy. Used houses are also 10 years old max in Creekside Park for instance. Locationwise, older villages are much closer to I-45, the mall and the Market Street where most things happen. Newer the village, further from the Town Center. I also observe newer villages attracting younger families more than the others. More established villages seem to have more long-time residents.

3. I think safety rating is pretty much the same everywhere. It is very safe compared to most parts of Houston and I would not worry about trying to find a gated community. Very few people do that in TW.

4. Yes, but it depends on what you like. If you are looking for outdoor sports- biking, jogging etc., it may be the best area for the Houston Metro. Lots of trails, parks, lakes etc. Cynthia Woods Pavillion hosts many events- sometimes very major artists- and is very attractive for performance arts. A good number of high quality restaurants, bars and shopping in the Town Center area mainly. However, if you are after a very vivid nightlife (bar-hopping), it is not your best option. I think it is more towards families, not so much for out-going singles. It is definitely not a dead zone.

5. The prices went very high a few years ago as Exxon was moving in the area. Lately, after the downturn in the O&G, it is not moving up but I don't see a much of a drop neither. Although you would still need to pay a premium to live in TW, it may be a really good time to buy now.

Hope these help!
Very helpful -thank you! Our bar hopping days are firmly behind us so I think we'll be just fine

Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:34 AM

341 posts, read 802,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwitter01 View Post

Thank you!
1. John Cooper Private School, TWHS, College Park

2. Grogan's Mill (oldest) easier access to Houston. It takes me 30-40 minutes to UH main campus (toll). Cochran's Crossing (best village imo), Creekside (newest), Panther Creek (best place is north of Woodrush), Alden Bridge (newer housing, open access to Mangolia- too much traffic now), Sterling Ridge (too far inside Woodlands) and Harper's Landing (avoid because railroad track).

3. Crime is mostly around mall area, apartments, or juvenile misconduct. I live in an area where I do not see patrol officers only on main street like Millbend, Woodlands Parkway, Grogan's Mill Road. I ride around the trail almost everyday (not exaggerating) since '07 from village to village, I never felt threatened by anyone, or seen offensive characters. I only worry about people riding into me, or dogs barking (not really since I have headphones). Crime does occur if you let you guards down, but having a dog and nosy neighbors, I feel safe since Ronald Reagan first became president.

4. The Woodlands has their own activity book. If you have kids, it is a place where you want them if you disregard the perception of snobbiness.

5. The housing market has weakened this year because I see more for sale signs on houses than before which is one of the reason I ride around to see houses. And houses that are on the market that can't be sold. I think a couple high rollers in the area had to slash their house a few times this year.

I came here to let people know that characteristic of people in The Woodlands. Yesterday, I rode my bike when I saw a pedestrian accident with the car guy at fault. The guy was crossing the street with pedestrian markers on the road and stop signs on the road. For some odd reason, he was hit from behind, I believe I saw the car didn't let him go completely before running him over at very slow speed. The car that hit him stopped and check on the guy as well as every car (4) in the intersection. Within seconds of the accident, all of the occupants in cars got out and check on the man. I saw he was being helped by so many and he didn't need assistance since he stood up and smiling, I went on my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston