U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 26,602 times

Advertisements

I am amazed by the wealth of knowledge on this forum! We are the following:

married family with 3 kids very active in sports/music/schooling
both adults into health and fitness and sharing active/outdoor living with 3 kids
completing doctorate degrees in PT and have potential employer with skilled nursing/assisted living sites in the Houston market but also in the San Antonio belt
Got to stop through Austin on our way back to FL last summer and liked the marketing and what area has to offer BUT not going to town/sporting events on weekend types
will need top schools and quick commute access to our home to wrap up our busy nights with kids
live in a planned community now in FL and love what thye have to offer re: safety, sports, clubs, friendly like minded neighbors
somewhat concerned on weather since if too hot can't enjoy the weekends and outdoors
probably biased but is there a "bad" houston influence in the woodlands

I would really appreciate some guidance on many of my questions and concerns you may not I did not ask a whole lo on San Antonio and Austin but your feedback is welcome!

Thanks to all for your hard work on these forums!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,882,682 times
[quote=marsardpt;3107682] but is there a "bad" houston influence in the woodlands
quote]

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Default "bad" as in anything bad about any of the places

told you I might be biased so just wrote in "bad" as in crime, traffic, vandalism etc etc. I also wrote my main concern is for my kids so I wanted feedback on safety etc. I am also suffering from this flu and running a fever so I may not have been thinkin straight so I apologize if I offended

Old 03-11-2008, 04:23 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,882,682 times
Well, its not the city so you don't have murders everyday. So seldomly do "bad crimes" occur up there due to the city being near by. They poison their spouses and their kids blow up luxury cars all on there own, without Houston's influence. (Jokingly telling you these things have happened up there). No place is immune to "bad."

Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Default THANKS - comment noted

After posting my questions I found that my employer has places in tomball, conroe and huntsville. Are there Woodlands-type places in these areas? What is best community in Woodlands to have quick access to these cities?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM

136 posts, read 857,016 times
You'll want to look in the back end of the Woodlands where the newer areas are. There is quick access to the areas you mentioned going out the back way. You will be going that way and everyone else will be going the opposite direction to the I45. I would never move to the back of the Woodlands if my commute included the I45. Potentially half your commute could be IN the Woodlands if that was the case.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM

179 posts, read 818,157 times
Tomball is 15 min from The Woodlands.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM

684 posts, read 2,001,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, its not the city so you don't have murders everyday. So seldomly do "bad crimes" occur up there due to the city being near by. They poison their spouses and their kids blow up luxury cars all on there own, without Houston's influence. (Jokingly telling you these things have happened up there). No place is immune to "bad."
LOL EA--We live in Sonoma County, about 40 miles No of San Francisco and Oakland, depending on the highway you take. As most of you know, Oakland does not have the *best* of reputations....a few years ago, could not help but come up with the conclusion...If the Oakland Raiders lose, they set their stuff on fire, if the Oakland Raiders win, well, they set their stuff on fire...
Go Raiders!.
I even read today on chron.com, that one neighborhood doctor, who discovered another doctor coming from his estranged wife's home in Bentwater, short story shot the *friend* in Bentwater, and consequently
himself in The Woodlands....
like EA says, no place is immune..stuff happens...just more of it in Oakland

Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM

64 posts, read 202,030 times
The Woodlands is lovely in terms of family envrionment, community activities, lots of arts and culture if you look for it and plenty of sports and sporting activities.
There are homes in just about every price range.
While the people are kind and friendly, it can be very isolating if you have just moved here and don't have the opportunity to get out and get involved.
Like anywhere, life is what you make it but lots of people move the The Woodlands and never leave - they just upgrade and downsize in the same area but different neighborhoods.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston