Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 AM

447 posts, read 487,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lechero99 View Post
Im moving from an area that is heavily Mormon and it very hard for us to make friends and even harder for my children. Im very apprehensive about moving anywhere that has a large LDS presence.
I can tell you that there are many communities in 77386 zip code, Mormons are small community there.(Harmony development) I know they are in Harmony, because my friend told me that, she's a Mormon and lives there with her son. But you really have all diversity in this zip code. LDS is not large community in Spring, I don't think you should be concern about your family not finding friends:-)
We lived there and we are Jews, lived next to babtist family, our boys are best friends for 14 years:-)
My friend is Mormon and her son is very good friend of my son:-)

All kind of religions and non religions:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:59 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I'm shaking my head over this. !! I mean within a mile of my house there are two Baptist churches. Big ones. They're just a blip on my radar - I never stop to think who in my neighborhood goes to those churches. It honestly doesn't matter.
A lot of people in Houston disagree with you

Greater Church of Lucifer opens doors despite protests in Old Town Spring - Oct. 2015

Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Quote:
I'm moving to 77386 - I noticed 2 LDS churches in the area, are there neighborhoods that are predominantly LDS?

It doesn't say exactly whether he wants LDS in the neighborhood or not. Just that he's moving to a certain area and is wondering about the LDS. I don't think my answer is off.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Im moving from an area that is heavily Mormon and it very hard for us to make friends and even harder for my children. Im very apprehensive about moving anywhere that has a large LDS presence.

Okay so the original poster gives a bit more detail -- I was on the right path.

Well you could check demographics and see if religion is posted for your area. Check the demographics for the schools. I sincerely doubt LDS live right next to their own church. That just doesn't happen. Temples yes, ward buildings no. Most drive a distance to go to church.

You could call the local building and ask if their membership lives in a certain area. Tell them why and I'm sure they'd help you.

May I ad that sometimes it isn't just religion that limits friendships.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:03 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Mormon population in the U.S.: an interactive map

Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM

13 posts, read 17,879 times
Quote:

Well you could check demographics and see if religion is posted for your area. Check the demographics for the schools. I sincerely doubt LDS live right next to their own church. That just doesn't happen. Temples yes, ward buildings no. Most drive a distance to go to church.

You could call the local building and ask if their membership lives in a certain area. Tell them why and I'm sure they'd help you.

The LDS community where i live is very tight nit, the experience we've had is not just our own but every single other non lds family that moves to this area. Until you live in an area life this, 80pct LDS, I don't think you could understand.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:

You are assigned to a ward based on your geography. One meeting house might hold 3 or 4 wards, they will all live near the meeting house, they don't get to choose where to go.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
You are assigned to a ward based on your geography. One meeting house might hold 3 or 4 wards, they will all live near the meeting house, they don't get to choose where to go.
You're kind of beating around the bush here....just for the sake of clarity, are you wanting to surround yourself with LDS, or are you trying to steer clear of the weirdos?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
You're kind of beating around the bush here....just for the sake of clarity, are you wanting to surround yourself with LDS, or are you trying to steer clear of the weirdos?
Sorry, i have a lot of posts on here. Where I live now, it is 70 pct or more LDS. It's very hard for us, my kids have had a horrible time making friends. I just want to move to a community that is not majority LDS, seeing the 2 meeting houses in this area made me wonder how diverse the area is.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 PM

Can I ask where you're moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston