Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I live in a quite safe area in Harris County and so far I never felt unsafe here. However I see increased activity of flyers distributors.

They leave their flyers at my front door pretty much every day when I am away at work. I am not sure if this is normal. In fact I feel quite disturbed. I don't want any unauthorized people entering my front yard and scanning my entrance.

How to get rid of those frontyard trespassers?
'No trespassing' signs are not allowed here by HOA.
Purple marks on the trees are not allowed as well.
Chainlink fences are not allowed too, of course. I can place only small 'no soliciting' sign on my front door, but that's not efficient measure anyway.

The goal is to prevent them from entering my driveway.
I am pretty sure, No1 advise here would be the cameras.
But what else could help? Are there any efficient outdoor motion alarms designed specifically for the frontyards?

Also what about the local legislation? How to push a law against residential flyers distribution and soliciting?

What do you personally think about frontyard trespassers and flyer distributors? Does anyone enjoy this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I've always found these to be highly effective at keeping people out.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Any other suggestions?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Get Ring door bell. When there is activity at your door (motion) you get an alert on your phone and you can then shout and scream at them that you don't want any flyers. Also put signs out saying no solicitation in English and Spanish. Or install remote activated tesla coils in your front door

Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Can you install a gate across your driveway? Seems a little extreme just to avoid flyers, but if you really do want to prevent all people from ever entering your yard, it's a thought.

I've also thought about putting one of those "under surveillance" signs out in front, even though I don't have camera yet. You could do the sign the camera. Although I guess your HOA wouldn't allow those signs either?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:06 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Pitbull on a chain. Guaranteed to work...HOA may not like that either though....

Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 PM

676 posts, read 931,671 times
This solution tends to work pretty well. https://youtu.be/4Wlov5b8r34

Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Can you install a gate across your driveway? Seems a little extreme just to avoid flyers, but if you really do want to prevent all people from ever entering your yard, it's a thought.

I've also thought about putting one of those "under surveillance" signs out in front, even though I don't have camera yet. You could do the sign the camera. Although I guess your HOA wouldn't allow those signs either?
I would love to have this kind of gate, but every frontyard in this subdivision is open and HOA does not allow things like that.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Get Ring door bell. When there is activity at your door (motion) you get an alert on your phone and you can then shout and scream at them that you don't want any flyers. Also put signs out saying no solicitation in English and Spanish. Or install remote activated tesla coils in your front door
Not bad. But I would prefer to have some automatic alarm that can scare hell out of them without distracting me from work with phone alerts.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Pitbull on a chain. Guaranteed to work...HOA may not like that either though....
I am pretty sure it will work. But it requires more maintenance than anything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston