Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times

Advertisements

Our school district has eclipse glasses for all of the kids to use and I hadn't thought anything about it until I read a rather lengthy post by an Optometrist on my local neighborhood sight last night. She was very concerned about the eclipse and strongly discouraged parents from allowing their children to participate. In her professional opinion, there is no safe amount of time to view the sun without protection even at a 70% eclipse, and there is no way that so many young children together can be adequately supervised to make sure they're viewing in a safe manner.

Definitely gave me pause about whether or not I will allow my kids to participate. I don't want them left out of this learning opportunity, but I'm also not sure I trust my 6 year old to use the glasses properly when her teacher has 22 other kids to watch as well. If school was still out and they were home with me, I'd have no concerns about it.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-19-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
No, it's equally the same harm but people don't tend to stare at the usual sun for long period of time. A glance or two won't hurt the eyes but staring at the sun for longer period will definetely be harmful. A solar eclipse is not a daily event; thus, people tend to stare at it for much longer than just a glance or two.
That's what I thought. So why are people asking about avoiding driving during the eclipse?? Unless they are vampires and never go out in the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Our school district has eclipse glasses for all of the kids to use and I hadn't thought anything about it until I read a rather lengthy post by an Optometrist on my local neighborhood sight last night. She was very concerned about the eclipse and strongly discouraged parents from allowing their children to participate. In her professional opinion, there is no safe amount of time to view the sun without protection even at a 70% eclipse, and there is no way that so many young children together can be adequately supervised to make sure they're viewing in a safe manner.

Definitely gave me pause about whether or not I will allow my kids to participate. I don't want them left out of this learning opportunity, but I'm also not sure I trust my 6 year old to use the glasses properly when her teacher has 22 other kids to watch as well. If school was still out and they were home with me, I'd have no concerns about it.
Our school isn't letting the kids go outside during. They are letting them live-stream it in their classrooms and rescheduling recesses to occur before or after, because of the same concerns you have. My son is also 6, and I agree that I would be worried about him understanding the importance of not looking at the sun, even for a quick glance. And especially at a time like recess, there is no way for a teacher to monitor them all that closely.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:43 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

How can you were glasses wrong? You just put them on your face and that's it. Even a 6 year old can handle that.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Why can't they have these things at night so everyone doesn't have to go out and buy glasses? SAD!!

Old 08-19-2017, 11:23 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
That's what I thought. So why are people asking about avoiding driving during the eclipse?? Unless they are vampires and never go out in the sun?
It's pretty much for the same reason. People would stare (and not just a glance) at the eclipse rather than watch where they're driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Why can't they have these things at night so everyone doesn't have to go out and buy glasses? SAD!!
Ah... but there is! It's called a Lunar Eclipse . In the case of a Lunar Eclipse, the position of the sun and moon is in reverse order.

Last edited by NTT; 08-19-2017 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
According to Texas Monthly, some chick did ask for it to be rescheduled since it is the first day of school for most.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:14 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
According to Texas Monthly, some chick did ask for it to be rescheduled since it is the first day of school for most.
I think Superman may be able to honor her request

Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
How can people look at the sun long enough to damage their eyes? I can barley glance in the direction of the sun for a fraction of a second before my eyes instinctually close!!

Old 08-21-2017, 03:04 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
At work, the shop manager let me borrow a "welding glass"
I took a picture very similar to this one

Spoiler

I sent it to channel 2, so don't be surprised if you see me on TV tonight
you can see the eclipse but you also see my reflection on the glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston