Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Venturing over from the NYC forum

I hope everyone is doing okay, I have relatives in the houston area and it looks really bad. Good luck.
Take Sandy and multiple by 10. That is what Houston is experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The reason why Houston is affordable is because it doesn't have any infrastructure to deal with events like this because Texas is a low taxes, low services state. In essence, you get what you pay for.

After this, people will do one of these things:
* rebuild and repeat this cycle
* sell their house and buy in a higher less flood prone area
* elevate their current house above Harvey flood line
* decide they've had it with the Houston climate and settle somewhere else

These decisions happened to New Orleans after Katrina and it caused places like Marigny to skyrocket in value while places like Gentilly declined in value whereas it was opposite before the storm. It also caused many people to leave New Orleans.

There will be a reckoning in Houston.
I don't think Bellaire and Meyerland will get cheaper. They already came through series of floodings and hurricanes. I would not like living in a flood zone, but those areas are still highly attractive despite these issues.

My street is not even close to flooding. I had maybe half inch of water in my backyard, but now it's gone. I did some search of flood zones before buying this house. And this area is a lot more affordable than Bellaire or Meyerland.

45,581 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's typical flooding for Houston for this type of storm. I witnessed it with Alicia, Ike and Allison.
It was typical when Alicia hit in 1983, when Allison hit in 2001, when Ike hit in 2008.
Definitely not the same as Ike.

Ike was wind and storm surge and some flooding. This is just flooding. Definitely more like Allison (which I was not here for).

If you are comparing Harvey to only three named storms over the past three decades - then it's not typical.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:12 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
One thing I love about Houston ....

We have a city full of amazing people willing to help other
As diverse as we are, we become one when it comes to helping our neighbors

I would gladly go and help people but I drive a small car and have three small kids at home

Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 532,683 times
Quote:
Do try to keep up with what's being posted.
I've seen that already. My concern is with your posting.

Calling this typical flooding like from other hurricanes is just wrong. From FEMA to every news agency - this is unprecedented flooding and may be the worst disaster of any type in Texas history.

It is not typical at all. It is unusual.

You are wrong. End of story.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 9,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Take Sandy and multiple by 10. That is what Houston is experiencing.
And with sandy all the subways were flooded and my school closed for a week (was a HS freshman at the time.) Plus the two blocks below and above me lost power. It was terrible.

Social media is making this even more depressing, I'm seeing all sorts of snaps of people's houses flooding and rescue missions from the national guard.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Definitely not the same as Ike.

Ike was wind and storm surge and some flooding. This is just flooding. Definitely more like Allison (which I was not here for).

If you are comparing Harvey to only three named storms over the past three decades - then it's not typical.
Did I say it was exactly the SAME as Ike? No.

I said that Houston can expect flooding when Hurricanes and Tropical storm hit it. That has been the typical pattern observed in Houston over the past 3 decades.

Go back and read where I said no storm is typical. The flooding is typical. Please keep it strait.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
I've seen that already. My concern is with your posting.

Calling this typical flooding like from other hurricanes is just wrong. From FEMA to every news agency - this is unprecedented flooding and may be the worst disaster of any type in Texas history.

You are wrong. End of story.
LOL you clearly don't get what I am posting.

It typically floods in Houston when Hurricanes with a lot of rain or Tropical storms producing a lot of rain hit Houston. Heavy widespread flooding has been the typical theme for Houston with these types of storms. Heck it typically floods in Houston anytime there is heavy rain regardless if it's a hurricane or tropical depression. Houston has poor flood control...it's been that way for a long as I can remember. When purchasing a house in Houston it's good to know if you are purchasing in a flood prone area.

The data does not lie.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM

382 posts, read 867,709 times
Well, more help is coming, I'm in Virginia and I just passed 2 large convoys of support heading Texas' way. One was a LARGE convoy of urban search and rescue trucks from Pennsylvania and the other was NYPD officers. There is also a local, private ambulance company that helped in Katrina that's on it's way too.

Good luck to you all down there.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:26 PM

130 posts, read 532,683 times
Quote:
LOL you clearly don't get what I am posting.
You said - and these are your words now:

"I said the widespread flooding we see in Houston right now is typical when storms of this magnitude hit Houston. We saw it with Alicia, Ike and Allison...we are now seeing a repeat of this typical flooding with Harvey."

Again, no it is not.

The widespread flooding we are seeing with Harvey is not typical of storms of Harvey's magnitude when they hit Houston.

It is unprecedented and is probably going to get much worse.

Last edited by campers; 08-27-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston