Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Could it possibly be global warming---that isn't really happening! And as a nation we aren't willing to do much about that either. I think you'd be better get off the Gulf Coast while it's still feasible.
Sure, because Hurricanes have never hit Texas before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Could it possibly be global warming---that isn't really happening! And as a nation we aren't willing to do much about that either. I think you'd be better get off the Gulf Coast while it's still feasible.
Was this caused by global warming too?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900...ston_hurricane

Old 08-27-2017, 08:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
The good news is that I have been watching the details. Some meteorologists have noted that some dry air is wrapping around the storm and moving dry air into the area.

So I have been studying the radar and from the weather stations reporting that are along the coast, the winds are coming more out of the west now, instead of coming up from the gulf. So it is not raining all the way to through Freeport along the coast... and it seems to be pushing more inland.

So hopefully it will keep pushing it's way up into Meyerland and into the rest of the city.

The 45 corridor to Galveston is going to get some hard rain again, but there is very little rain on the back side of it. It's not raining in Manvel and Angleton right now. Hopefully the dry will push through quickly.

I hope I am reading this correctly.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From your lips to Gaia's ears.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The good news is that I have been watching the details. Some meteorologists have noted that some dry air is wrapping around the storm and moving dry air into the area.

So I have been studying the radar and from the weather stations reporting that are along the coast, the winds are coming more out of the west now, instead of coming up from the gulf. So it is not raining all the way to through Freeport along the coast... and it seems to be pushing more inland.

So hopefully it will keep pushing it's way up into Meyerland and into the rest of the city.

The 45 corridor to Galveston is going to get some hard rain again, but there is very little rain on the back side of it. It's not raining in Manvel and Angleton right now. Hopefully the dry will push through quickly.

The problem is once Harvey hits the Gulf it will draw deep Gulf moisture back in.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The problem is once Harvey hits the Gulf it will draw deep Gulf moisture back in.
I'm just looking what is occurring now and what I see as a positive with an increasing area along the coast getting virtually no rain.

IF it gets back to the coast, then we will deal with it.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
What should we expect after the releasing of the dams?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
What should we expect after the releasing of the dams?
Controlled release of Barker & Addicks Reservoirs to impact thousands | khou.com

TLDR (or watch in this case): the water being released has the potential to raise the water level of Buffalo Bayou even more, however this depends solely on how much rain falls and whether or not the Bayou has a chance to recede a little before and during the release. The office of emergency management representative stresses that compared to what is already there, this is not a huge amount of water.

To the NW of the reservoirs, they expect thousands of more homes to flood. However this is NOT due to the controlled release. This is simply because so much water is flowing in from the watersheds faster than the release could ever get rid of it. So that flooding really has nothing to do with the release and if anything the release is a (futile) attempt to mitigate it.

It was pretty clear in the video/article that the media didn't quite understand the message :/ The title of the article alone is misleading

Old 08-27-2017, 09:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Jeff - The guy explaining what's going on - He said Addicks will be releasing a steady flow first. The release will be less than what's being dumped in. So there will be flooding from the reservoir into low lying neighborhoods and then flooding along the Buffalo Bayou -- Where the release flows out and dumps in the ship channel. He did say the Buffalo Bayou is full.

There is a map out there for those to check.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/w...ker-reservoirs

Old 08-27-2017, 09:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Controlled release of Barker & Addicks Reservoirs to impact thousands | khou.com

TLDR (or watch in this case): the water being released has the potential to raise the water level of Buffalo Bayou even more, however this depends solely on how much rain falls and whether or not the Bayou has a chance to recede a little before and during the release. The office of emergency management representative stresses that compared to what is already there, this is not a huge amount of water.

To the NW of the reservoirs, they expect thousands of more homes to flood. However this is NOT due to the controlled release. This is simply because so much water is flowing in from the watersheds faster than the release could ever get rid of it. So that flooding really has nothing to do with the release and if anything the release is a (futile) attempt to mitigate it.

It was pretty clear in the video/article that the media didn't quite understand the message :/ The title of the article alone is misleading
Thanks! Will places in the Energy Corridor flood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston