Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,722,164 times

Advertisements

What percentage of Metro Houston is flooded?

What percentage of Metro Houston is not passable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, it's too late for that. Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Now to others who might care:

Regarding my friend in Katy: I was so sick with worry last night I couldn't get to sleep till nearly 4 am. She was starting to panic because the water was lapping at her front door and no one could get in and get her. But the water has receded from her front porch (still in her yard and her neighborhood is still flooded). Which is good because she was trying to leave for hours yesterday and no one could reach her. She is alive and well this morning but she's stressed to the max. I hope the water continues to recede.
I hope your friend stays lucky but...

The water receded because the rain slowed or stopped for while yesterday but it is coming back and likely to be worse....just like my friend inside the loop just north of Braes Bayou saw water in her street receded somewhat yesterday...but there were boats going up and down her street last night and she now has a SECOND car stalled in the street trying to drive through 3 ft of water...

Other areas are going to get outflow from couple of reservoirs today in addition to rain (6ft into Buffalo Bayou!)
PLUS water will be moving south via natural creek system from rain that has fallen in places like College Station and NW of Houston as the rain bands from Harvey have moved east/ne and dispersed in speed...

As a natural cynic, I am curious as to how long the media can/will continue to feature this story vs other news.
The Gulf impact zone has already fallen outside the focus since the immediate danger is over.
And while those of us who have friends and family in the Houston danger zone are invested in the story,
the mass of viewers are dispersed across the US...and face it...flooded streets pretty much all look the same in a town you don't know--especially in a town you don't know...
The rescue stories sound so much alike because they are...it IS mind-numbing to see that much devastation

We were listening to the radio in car yesterday (so couldn't see video feed) to CNN or MSNBC. There was a reporter on CG's boat who helped rescue woman with her father and mother...mother apparently had Alzheimer's and reporter to his credit stopped the story feed as they dealt with getting her out of attic of home and into boat...but you could tell that the news-desk-anchor was not going to let that story get away because of the "human interest factor" that made it just that much different from other rescues...

NYTimes had video that compared flooded areas now w/those same areas in times past...
It looks like CGI effects in a disaster movie...to have water THAT high just boggles the mind...

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What percentage of Metro Houston is flooded?

What percentage of Metro Houston is not passable?
All I can tell you is that as of about midnight last night, there were more roads closed than roads open in Houston.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM

7,212 posts, read 6,979,991 times
This is from our cousin. She lives near Cypress Creek. Water starting coming in their home last night. They moved stuff upstairs and that's where they are now.

Last edited by kab0906; 06-29-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,850,314 times
so very sorry to see and hear what's happening to the people of SE Texas, thoughts and prayers are with you.

the Mpls paper noted these comparisons this morning...

The 9 trillion gallons of water that have fallen as of Sunday
*would fill the entire Great Salt Lake, twice.
*would take nine days straight for the Mississippi River to drain into Houston to equal the water there.
*would cover the entire lower 48 states with .17" of rain.

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-28-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM

339 posts, read 797,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We did that once for Rita and it was a logistical nightmare.

Anyone who experienced the Rita evacuation would agree that if we had did that with Harvey, it would have been a thousand times worse with people stranded on the roadways.

Maybe we can be smarter about how we evacuate and do it in stages... but just to have a mass evacuation... I shudder to think of how bad that could have been.
Rita evacuation was unprecdented now it has been modified where contra-flows will start immediately if there was an evacuation call. TXDot has already plans installed for that to happen. I witnessed Rita's nightmare from afar (at home), but when the contra-flow (before Rita struck) the traffic was unbelivably smooth. They did to stages of evacuation if I remember correctly, the Galveston, or the coast was first than Clear Lake. The problem back then was that Rita order to evacuate was too late. To compound the problem is that people are running out of gas which caused more delay and gas stations were out-of gas. Most importantly, a lot of Houstonians never experienced a Hurricane Cat. 5 and I've been in Houston since Hurricane Alicia

The Sawdust/Rayford entrance, the 45 service road to 45 North, or Hardy Toll Road closed, blocked off by police at 9am.

As of 9am, these Rayford/Sawdust business-

Closed:
----------
Chick Fil A
Walmart
Starbucks
HEB (opening at a later time)
Taco Bell
Whataburger
McDonald
Walgreens
CVS

Opened:
Sundale Donut
Shell Gas Station (HEB side)
Hodge Basket Grocery Store (I-Fly)

Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 AM

18,039 posts, read 25,057,949 times

Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,187,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, it's too late for that. Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Now to others who might care:

Regarding my friend in Katy: I was so sick with worry last night I couldn't get to sleep till nearly 4 am. She was starting to panic because the water was lapping at her front door and no one could get in and get her. But the water has receded from her front porch (still in her yard and her neighborhood is still flooded). Which is good because she was trying to leave for hours yesterday and no one could reach her. She is alive and well this morning but she's stressed to the max. I hope the water continues to recede.
Glad your friend is OK, Kathryn! Katy was getting clobbered with rain last evening; sounds like it slacked off enough for some water to recede. I can't imagine how stressed she is. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,920 times
Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Houston. I have family and friends in Pearland, Stafford, Missouri City, Spring Branch, etc, and I've been checking in to see if they're okay quite frequently.

Also, my hat off to the people of Texas and Louisiana coming through with their boats to help in their rescue efforts. Uniting and coming together in their time of need. That's what it's all about in these times.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:42 AM

712 posts, read 831,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
And we still have to deal with the water from Houston's NW side that will flow down in the next few days while it's still raining
It could get really ugly
That, and they're 'spiking' the water further upstream before sending it on down . . . Heavy rain cause wastewater overflows in College Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston