Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the city of Houston force large developments to have retention/detention ponds?
Hell yes! We need to plan better for future flooding. 20 100.00%
No, this was a one time event, don't change anything. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Here in Austin, almost every large development, even say a Walmart has a very large retention/detention pond beside it so when there is heavy flooding, the parking lot drains and fills that basin.

I don't think I've ever seen that in Houston. Do you think Houston should impose a law so that all large businesses should have retention/detention ponds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Here in Austin, almost every large development, even say a Walmart has a very large retention/detention pond beside it so when there is heavy flooding, the parking lot drains and fills that basin.

I don't think I've ever seen that in Houston. Do you think Houston should impose a law so that all large businesses should have retention/detention ponds?
They're all over the place in my part of town....

Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:

You continue to create ridiculous and accusatory threads.

YES, retention & drainage planning is part of every commercial development, and residential community development. It's code. And if one is observant, you see them everywhere.

If one is not observant, well then there is nothing I can do.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:17 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:

Every new construction I've seen in Houston has a big retention pond,
What's your plan for places that don't have one?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every new construction I've seen in Houston has a big retention pond,
What's your plan for places that don't have one?
That's what I'm talking about. They need to force existing places to put them in as well...

Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
And your poll is a fail also. It's like the question "Do you still beat your spouse?". There is no way to answer it properly.

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. They need to force existing places to put them in as well...
Sure, no problem. A landlocked 4 acre industrial warehouse on the east side, built in the 1950s, no problem to add detention. Just tell me how they do it.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Poll needs a third option: restrict cbach from the Houston forum

These posts are getting ridiculous

Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
This is going to shock you .... you need empty land to build a retention pond

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:

You do realize that 50 inches of rain will easily overflow that basin right?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And your poll is a fail also. It's like the question "Do you still beat your spouse?". There is no way to answer it properly.

Sure, no problem. A landlocked 4 acre industrial warehouse on the east side, built in the 1950s, no problem to add detention. Just tell me how they do it.
Dig out the parking lot, make a parking garage on top of the parking lot.

Dig out under the warehouse, have the warehouse still at grade but there is basically a retention pond under it.

They've done it in Austin.

Look at this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4001...7i13312!8i6656

This Office Depot is actually built on top of the retention basin.

4 acres would be a nice big retention basin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston