Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times

Advertisements

OP never came back to this thread. Clearly a troll or a shill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I would think River Oaks flooded.President Bush and Barbara's area.
As others have pointed out, The Bush's live near Tanglewood, not River Oaks.

But, here's a pic of an entrance to River Oaks, off Shepherd. Yikes!! Even the rich flood. Lord have mercy!

Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about the wealthy neighborhoods and flooding in Houston-richpeeps.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The wealthier people have the resources to get out of town, or they have another home elsewhere to the point where they can leave a week or two before anything even happens.

I think you are being totally unrealistic.
Excellent point.

I'm from Dallas but went to college with quite a few people from the Houston area (many of whom have fairly lucrative careers). The Houston people that returned home all left the area ahead of the storm and either went to Austin or DFW to visit friends. The Houston folks that currently live in the DFW area convinced their family members to drive north and stay with them.

Most of the well-to-do crowd doesn't return until the flood waters have gone down. Poor, working class and middle class folks are more likely to stay.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Well then, I'm going to have to tell those folks I know who, with their families, were flooded out of their homes in the Hunters Creek and Piney Point area that they somehow missed this insider's memo. Or maybe they must not be truly wealthy.

And of those likely to have stayed and similarly suffered, where do the lower-upper, middle-upper, upper-upper middle class fit??? Seems they also missed this memo.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I would think River Oaks flooded.President Bush and Barbara's area.
Sad part is flood insurance or lack of.
Nobody buys flood insurance in 500 year flood plain.
ALL Houston folks crushed by this.
But yet the hate continues to rise.
I left Houston before Hurricane in 1980(?) Took 14 hours to get to Tyler. Normal less than four.
I bought flood insurance, and I am not even located in the 500 year flood plain. When you are a low flood risk, the price is negligible. I believe mine was $250 for the $250,000 coverage.

I Didn't need the flood insurance (I didnt flood), but its peace of mind to have it.

Also to the OP, navigate the link below towards Piney Point and river oaks...just follow the bayou. There is one house there where the water is 4-5' inside a house that is well over 10,000 square feet and on the tax roll for over $6,000,000. Famous attorney owns it. Storms like Harvey are equal opportunity flooders. Unlike the media, and the politicians, storms are unbiased.

While its true, more wealthy areas flood less - its not because they are Expensive that they flood less - they become expensive areas because they do not flood.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/harvey/index.html

Old 09-01-2017, 10:05 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
OP never came back to this thread. Clearly a troll or a shill.

As others have pointed out, The Bush's live near Tanglewood, not River Oaks.

But, here's a pic of an entrance to River Oaks, off Shepherd. Yikes!! Even the rich flood. Lord have mercy!
Wow. Kirby River. Here's a picture of it when its dry. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7597...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM

872 posts, read 999,561 times
I've read stories from local news sources that show the flooding in ALL parts of Houston. Even the spots that are OK, which the media doesn't seem to hit. The big stations and the world news makes anyone outside of the area think that ALL of Houston is just completely underwater, just like New Orleans. When in reality, there are some dry spots and areas that were not affected like you see on TV.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:09 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
There is an inordinate amount of flooding in poor areas, largely because of the lack of modern drainage systems in those areas. Also, poor areas tend to have greater density of people and structures, which means less places for the water to drain.
This is just not correct information. You tend to frequently put out loads of crap intended to pit rich/poor, white vs other.... Its old and tired.

The poor areas flood and do not drain because they are flood hazards...located in floodways, in areas of very low elevation and in areas that were developed long before drainage in Houston was ever an issue. These areas, especially those within the loop remain poor, not because of the people or lack of infrastructure spending, but because these areas will flood. People with money build their homes where they are less likely to flood, not more likely to flood.

Flooding is not political in Houston. There are swaths of Memorial with $1M+ homes that have now flooded 3 times in 3 years. They never use to flood, and now they do. I guess its because these people are poor and nobody cares about them.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:50 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
This is just not correct information. You tend to frequently put out loads of crap intended to pit rich/poor, white vs other.... Its old and tired.
He puts out typical ignorant crap .... not knowing that it doesn't apply in Houston

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane505 View Post
I never and still don't see sky cam news hovering over James Harden's neighborhood or Oil executives' neighborhoods being flooded. Are they living on artificial hills? Do these neighborhoods pay an exorbitant amount of taxes to where the city of Houston has built an advanced flood prevention system in these neighborhoods? Earthquakes affect the rich and poor in California. Are the wealthy protected from floods in Houston? Educate me.
Here's a drone video of Bellaire
Based on HAR.com, the houses there are worth 200k to 2 million.
*** House for sale in Bellaire ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfJiaLMAuI

Old 09-01-2017, 12:34 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Cinco ranch is under voluntary evacuation since yesterday, it may become mandatory soon.
FWIW, Fox opened one of their shows this morning with a scene of Cinco Ranch. I remember it because of the name. Sadly, it was flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston