Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:09 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
So minor that you felt the need to comment on it.
Yeah because I cant believe that trivial thing was your only takeaway from an article about those affected by flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:59 AM

292 posts, read 244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Usually no mountains means no fault line

Not completely true, Dopo...guess sometimes Mother Earth, Gaia designs the planet as she wishes?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:11 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,311 times
Well, if you walk on a piece of property you are interested in and see displacement of sidewalks, foundations, etc, get out your maps and contact a geologist. My husband is a PhD geologist, and believe me, when we were in college (we went to the same undergrad), one of our professors told us things to look out for when buying a house. We listened.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:15 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Usually no mountains means no fault line
Not true in the least. There are fault lines all over Texas, especially along the coast. Some of them are buried and have no surface expression, but they are there. Here's a map of the Edwards Acquifer with faults Faults and Caves

Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 AM

292 posts, read 244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Well, if you walk on a piece of property you are interested in and see displacement of sidewalks, foundations, etc, get out your maps and contact a geologist. My husband is a PhD geologist, and believe me, when we were in college (we went to the same undergrad), one of our professors told us things to look out for when buying a house. We listened.
Good advice...now, since you have a highly educated pro at home, ask them this:

Could any of the shifting surface ground/ terrain here in Houston, the so-called "Gumbo"( as a slang local term) be contributing to the stress and strain placed on Barker and Addicks dams?

We are all aware of the strain placed on the dams due to over- development and lack of zoning and some common sense restrictions due to the area being not terribly above sea- level. Also the fact that they are 70 yrs old, outdated due to the exponential growth of building and infrastructure to support a massive population growth. And the 75 million allotted to Addicks may not be enough to address the underlying problems

Notice I said "problems", as there are many, but if you do not address "all" of the problems, well, then the potential weaknesses will show themselves once again...during the next severe storm

Of course, this is a very simple elementary question...so don't abuse the sender I am in medicine, not geology or any such earth science of the sort.

We all deal with the shifting terrain in the Houston area, henceforth the need for quite a bit of foundation work in the area...so this should not be a "taboo" subject.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:53 AM

116 posts, read 170,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane505 View Post
Well I wasn't talking about wealthy people evacuating. I was talking about their homes. I just don't see post flood videos after Katrina or now of people from the wealthier neighborhoods with million dollar homes being interviewed. I guess the interview would anger common folk so that is why they don't do it. Imagine a post flood interview at James Harden's home. "Yeah I evacuated 3 days before to Malibu before the hurricane hit. As you can see my garage was flooded. Now I have to buy a new Bentley."

It's always people from the middle class and lower neighborhoods that get interviewed about how the flood affected their lives. It makes ignorant people like me who don't live there believe that floods mainly affects the common folk. Media needs to be fair. ESPN should be interviewing Houston, New Orleans, and Miami professional athletes and team owners on how it affected their lives every time they get a devastating hurricane to make them realize how fortunate they are and maybe will guilt them into donating to disaster charity to the citizens of their city who pay their enormous salary through game attendance and tv viewership.

Kanye West said George Bush doesn't care about black people during Katrina. No Kanye it's not about race. It's about have and have nots.
They showed wealthy communities flooded too. One of the guys working at a relief shelter, forgot if he was a basketball or football star, said that his home flooded and he lost lots of stuff, but he was volunteering. If you are rich or wealthy, you hurt but it's easier to rebuild.

I didn't see as many videos or reports of the poorer and working class communities in east Houston or East of Houston, I presume they flooded too. It was chaos and reporters reported on areas they could get to. I am now seeing reports of people trapped in blue collar neighborhoods for 2 days with no rescue, waited for the water to recede. Not sure why their areas weren't covered during the storm or why the national guard wasn't sent there to double check. Hopefully it will come out in the ensuing days.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bessie Elle View Post
I was just wondering if td Jake's has opened his church to evacuated residents they have a lot to say about Osteen mega church but nothing about the rest no mention at all about beyonce pastor useing the largest room at his church for distribution what's up wit that and the other mega churches
Why would he make his church a shelter in Dallas? Do you know how far away Dallas is from Houston and the gulf communities? Personally I would rather be in shelter that had showers, so the stadium where the cowboys play would make a better shelter than a church full of pews

Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
This OP, Shane, smells of a shill, not a troll.... a paid shill.

In the current year, typically paid to post controversial and diversive posts to cause discordant discussions, which in turn can cause fighting among the different groups posting on the forum.

Several NGO's pay for and back this discourse...do not fall for it.

Houstonians, as well as the rest of Texas and our neighbors to the east, Louisiana( the Cajun Navy) and other southern states who have driven in their flat bottomed boats, and large profile vehicles, we salute those people who have generously come to Houston and have helped their fellow human beings...often at great cost to themselves and their families.

And we can not forgot all first line aid workers, police, military, firefighters, medical staff...everyone has pulled together "regardless of race, creed, religion, or culture".

Must really "**** off" the haters and paid shills, looking for something to cause discourse and chaos about. Look elsewhere.

Posters have answered the OP's question flooding...it is everywhere in Houston...and the beach front homes are some of the most expensive in the greater Houston metroplex. Why? Any oceanfront property is costly, as it is a limited resource.

BTW, the Bush's are in Tanglewood, not River Oaks. The bayou close to their town home flooded, and the closest major intersection was just cleared early today. I have no idea if they were, or are in Houston currently...
The Bush's were at their summer home in Maine at the time of the flooding.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Puck View Post
Lol, same with me. We live in Silver Ranch and the place never flooded. My boss on the other hand lives in a multi-million dollar home in Kelliwood and unfortunately he had to evacuate.
Kelliwood is a beautiful area. I have always admired it, but was nervous about it because it was so close to George Bush park. I'm not too surprised they flooded, however I am surprised Cinco Ranch flooded.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Fault lines?

Meyerland first flooded in 1976. That was 41 years ago.
There are tons of fault lines in the Houston MSA. Because the soil is clay and not like the soil out west it doesn't cause widespread problems. But homes & businesses built on the faults will have problems.

That is the one question I forgot to ask when I purchased my home. I forgot to review the fault lines before choosing a community.

Yup Houston has its geological & geographical pecularities. All places do, we (gov't & citizens alike) need to be environmentally prudent when developing. But to developers and oil & gas, and some other industries environment is a dirty word and is always shut down. Sadly, if Houston is to persist for another 50+ years balance needs to occur, otherwise FEMA might say large swathes of the area is to expensive to rebuild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston