Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 07:34 PM

318 posts, read 337,573 times

Advertisements

home prices aren't going up anytime soon, flooded or not.

we will see how the rebuilding progress goes, a lot of new homes were under construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 07:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,971,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I didn't finish part of my statement. I meant urban planners, environmentalists, engineers have at least written articles warning Houston of this. This sprawling out to the hinterlands is not sustainable. Maybe the fact that Houston is over 600 sq miles hurts itself in this regard.
What hurt Houston was proper planning, not the land size of the city limits.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM

403 posts, read 462,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I do believe this will affect the city's reputation. What most people forget is that we didn't have Social Media during Ike, Alicia and Rita the way we do now. This will only hype the city's reputation and the poor response from not only the Governor but also the Houston mayor. Media in all forms can hype or negatively impact anything these days.

I believe housing prices will plummet in Houston, causing some developments in progress to shut down. This happened during LA's Northridge 1994 disaster where people fled the city and housing prices took a nose dive. Rebuilding took a long time and it wasn't until 2002 when the city really bounced back.

Population didn't start exploding until 2003 onward.
''Poor response?'' What of Houstons response was a poor response? If housing prices were to plummet in Houston, it would have happened after Rita, Ike or Alicia and it never did in the past so why would it now?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 PM

363 posts, read 557,372 times
You didn't have the media machine like we do now. So much devastation is being reported and buyers will not want to buy flood homes or in cities that flood easily. To locals this is very common but outsiders looking to invest or move to the area will be turned off. Overtime I think the city can bounce back but like Los Angeles, it will take time to recover.

It's not the quick easy fix locals believe it is nor expect not to hurt their economy. Especially if this turns out to be the longest natural disaster. Don't expect these greedy oil tycoons to share their wealth the way the celebrities do in Hollywood.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
My prayers go out to everyone in Houston and the flooded areas. I wish I can come help but my job won't allow it. I know it isn't much but i donated 200. This just sucks that one of our greatest Cites is going through this. Sending my prayers from Charlotte nc.👼👼👼👼👼

Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
''Poor response?'' What of Houstons response was a poor response?
Either Turner or Abbott should have hired some medicine men to get the rain to stop.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
They said on CNN that Houston has had the most major floods than any other city in the US. Didn't know that

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM

403 posts, read 462,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
You didn't have the media machine like we do now. So much devastation is being reported and buyers will not want to buy flood homes or in cities that flood easily. To locals this is very common but outsiders looking to invest or move to the area will be turned off. Overtime I think the city can bounce back but like Los Angeles, it will take time to recover.

It's not the quick easy fix locals believe it is nor expect not to hurt their economy. Especially if this turns out to be the longest natural disaster. Don't expect these greedy oil tycoons to share their wealth the way the celebrities do in Hollywood.
You didn't need the internet to tell people that Houston flooded back then. People investing their money to buy or rent in Houston have always known they were moving to a flood prone area. Nothing about that will change.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Either Turner or Abbott should have hired some medicine men to get the rain to stop.
Hire Rick Perry,
After his pray-a-thon for rain, Texas had the biggest wildfire ever

Never mind, he'll burn Houston down

Old 08-28-2017, 08:27 PM

55 posts, read 80,540 times
^
To Double L:

You idiot, can't you comprehend that his point was with the media machines, people can visually see it rather than just reading it on the newspaper? The quality of cameras are very high defination these days and the whole world is watching with CNN shoving down the world's throats 24/7 right now.

Like Astoriahoney said, businesses and potential transplants will be turned off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston