Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times

Advertisements

Its too bad you have to buy now. Its difficult enough to move to a new city (I have done it twice). You don't know Houston, only what others tell you. To make a commitment to a home in the aftermath of a major flood is daunting. Again, if you could get corporate housing to give you some breathing room, that will allow you not to be rushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 PM

45 posts, read 51,584 times
It's definitely not an ideal situation but we will make due. I am lucky that we have a few friends Who moved before us to give us some advice on the situation.As far as pricing, we have noticed some properties increase 5-10k but some have been reduced. I've heard a lot of back and fourth about what to expect with pricing. I guess it will ultimately depend on the demand for homes. Some seem to think that people won't be in the position to buy a new home and people thinking about moving to the area will be put off so the price of homes will remain the same or even decrease. Others think demand will be high and inventory will be low so the prices will skyrocket. I'm obviously no expert, just repeating what we've been told recently. I guess we will see first hand next week.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:15 PM

219 posts, read 226,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsr014 View Post
It's definitely not an ideal situation but we will make due. I am lucky that we have a few friends Who moved before us to give us some advice on the situation.As far as pricing, we have noticed some properties increase 5-10k but some have been reduced. I've heard a lot of back and fourth about what to expect with pricing. I guess it will ultimately depend on the demand for homes. Some seem to think that people won't be in the position to buy a new home and people thinking about moving to the area will be put off so the price of homes will remain the same or even decrease. Others think demand will be high and inventory will be low so the prices will skyrocket. I'm obviously no expert, just repeating what we've been told recently. I guess we will see first hand next week.
Would be interesting to hear which locations fell in price and which one went up. Your early pricing research coupled with our knowledge of the city could reveal some interesting early patterns.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM

45 posts, read 51,584 times
There isn't a clear pattern yet. I think right now it's a gut reaction from the home owners. Some feel their property is worth more since it stayed dry and some are freaking out that no one will move to Houston so are trying to be more competitive. I will update if I see some sort of pattern forming and with our personal experience this coming week.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Have you narrowed down your search?

Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
If it was just 1/4 inch of water on a 1st floor it still counts.
And not all 6.6 million people live in houses. There are tons of apartments.
I am talking about the detached houses.
There are about 500,000 detached houses in Houston.
100,000 houses flooded to some extent that's not unrealistic.
But let's see the official results in a couple of months.
Pretty close to predicted for Houston -

Harvey destroyed more than 15,500 homes in Texas | abc13.com

Quote:
Texas officials say more than 15,500 homes were destroyed during Hurricane Harvey.

According to the latest numbers by DPS, 273,276 homes were damaged during the storm. Another 15,528 were destroyed.

Devastating flooding in Harris County led to the destruction of 835 homes. The total number of homes damaged now stands at 113,136.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I think it's the perfect time to buy. You'll easily know what flooded and what didn't. In a couple of years after the flippers buy and sell, you will have a harder time finding the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston