Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,470 times

Advertisements

We were evacuated from our neighbor's home on Sunday when water was getting into our homes very quickly. In the heat of the moment we only remember to grab belongings for the kids. One of the important things that i was not able to take was my prescription drug that i take every morning (Synthroid). Kroger was the only store open today and we tried to get the pharmacist to fill the medication but he said he absolutely can't do it without a prescription.

I must take this med every morning and going without it for couple days now i feel like my body is falling apart. Just not feeling like myself at the moment. Dont know how long i can go without taking this med any longer. I need to feel well to care for my two young kids as we are currently displaced from our home.

Any ideas as to how i could get the med, even just a couple of pills to get me through. So irrational when rx is needed when we are in a middle of a natural disaster and doctor's office is closed.
i can understand they would not do it if it was an addictive painkiller or something but a med like Synthroid?
Not blaming the pharmacist but just frustrated with the whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
The pharmacy where you usually fill your Rx should have it on file, and it should be accessible from any other drugstore in that chain, assuming it is a chain store. In a pinch, pharmacists usually will provide a few days' worth of non-addictive prescription medicine. You are right, the Kroger pharmacist you encountered was unreasonable, given the circumstances. Was he or she the head of that department, I wonder, or someone who just enjoyed throwing his or her weight around?

If you are in an emergency shelter at present, tell those in charge about your situation. Can you call your own doctor or a whoever's working at the local shelter or emergency clinic, and have a duplicate prescription phoned into Kroger's?

Good luck getting your meds replaced. I am sure you are not alone in this situation, and the emergency shelter authorities should be able to assist you or at least point you in the right direction.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
I forgot my thyroid meds when on vacation once. It was not a disaster situation, just a vacation. But the CVS pharmacy gave me a week of emergency meds. They called my insurance company and got it approved. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 AM

61,759 posts, read 87,217,162 times
This ^^^^. And it works.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:35 AM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
I also agree, I forgot to pack enough eye drops, when visiting family in New York. So I went to the local cvs & they got in touch with the cvs back home in California & I got my eye drops. I also agree that if you ask for medical help, I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 963,080 times
If you got it from Walgreens or CVS or any type of chain there should not be a problem. I am pretty sure where they have set up shelters they have a medical person there- Red Cross. Seek out Red Cross. I take Synthroid as well and you cannot go without. Find the Red Cross....Where are you located? I will look to see what I can find on the computer for you...would be happy to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: