Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There won't be in the next couple weeks. Houses that were flooded won't be fixed by then - insurance won't even have paid out by then. Neighborhoods that were flooded will be covered in a thick covering of gooey mud and impassable.
And no one in right mind would try to sell a damaged house before the insurance assessment and $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 16,665 times
Quote:
Meta, I think you're completely misunderstanding his situation.

Houston hasn't just been through a bit of a rainshower. MANY areas, including very nice areas, are underwater.

Homes that are not flooded, and are on the market, will be going for a premium. There will be many people who need housing and few houses on the market to meet that demand.

You are not understanding the enormity of this disaster. If you did come down in a couple weeks, you'd realize this is not the time to be trying to purchase a home, and in fact, not the time to be moving to Houston.

I have family and friends in Houston, and they spent even today trying to get people off roofs, out of second story houses, and into overcrowded shelters while more flooding is happening from the reservoirs being breached this afternoon.
I completely understand the enormity of the situation. I have been following things non stop since Thursday and it is just so tragic...

That said were quite far along in the relocation process before anyone even knew about Harvey. I've already accepted the job offer, resigned from my current job, listed my home, booked a house hunting trip, and made so many other commitments related to this.

Not moving is simply not an option at this point. In fact we have not changed our mind at all about wanting to live in Houston because of this event.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would check to make sure that your future workplace still exists and in business when you come, OP. Some places in Galleria are flooded and need to be closed and rebuild first.
Yes, they are still in business and their office did not flood. I am in contact with my new manager.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysik View Post
That's unfortunately not an option. I have a firm start date with a major corporation and they have already started paying for the relocation. Our current house is already on the market as well. This will be a complicated move and I'm trying to figure out the best way to pull it off.
Maybe a good next step would be for you to call a large real estate firm, maybe on Thursday or Friday, and get a feel for what you're facing.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe a good next step would be for you to call a large real estate firm, maybe on Thursday or Friday, and get a feel for what you're facing.
We already have an agent. My question is just if we fly down next week, will we be able to effectively see houses? Or do we need to reschedule for the following week? We would really like to avoid delaying yet another week if possible because of the timing of all the moving parts of our relocation...

Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
We already have an agent. My question is just if we fly down next week, will we be able to effectively see houses? Or do we need to reschedule for the following week? We would really like to avoid delaying yet another week if possible because of the timing of all the moving parts of our relocation...
This might be a question for your agent since you have one. You'd probably get very current clear information from him/her.

Best wishes.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
This might be a question for your agent since you have one. You'd probably get very current clear information from him/her.

Best wishes.
Our agent is pretty sure next week will be fine.

Given that a disaster of this magnitude has never hit Houston before I thought it would be a good idea to get some second opinions.

As you can see above there's a lot of disagreement... Which has me worried.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 PM

I wish you well. This is certainly uncharted territory.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 PM

45 posts, read 51,571 times
Quote:
Our agent is pretty sure next week will be fine.

Given that a disaster of this magnitude has never hit Houston before I thought it would be a good idea to get some second opinions.

As you can see above there's a lot of disagreement... Which has me worried.
We are in the same situation as you and will be looking for housing as soon as we can. Good luck with things!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
No you will not be able to see many houses. Most will be damaged and will be coming off the market.

If I was you I'd take my house off the market and leave my family where you live. Even getting a Motel room will be nearly impossible with all the out of town workers in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston