Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 AM

675 posts, read 920,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
You might be able to go westheimer to beltway 8 FEEDER roads since they are high up. I hear people taking the feeders south of the beltway. Take feeder all the way to Clay and go from there.
The feeders are still shut down at the bayou also. Have to go all the way to 610 or 99 to cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 PM

116 posts, read 168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
Just curious. Regarding homes effected due to the reservoir release and to those who don't have flood insurance, can homes have any compensation or legal suit against the city since these homes would not have flooded if the release of the reservoir did not happen or lack of disclosure of the effects of reservoir release?
This is the second time I heard someone say that they want to sue the city. So to put it into perspective, in case you weren't glued to the 24/7 local news the entire duration of the storm as I was. I actually heard the gentlemen explain several times over a series of press meetings why they had to release the water from the dams, when they did and put out a bulletin to folks in your area to evacuate.

Point 1: All of the upstream streams, creeks, and bayous were backing up because they could not flow into the dams, so homes upstream of Barker and Addicks were flooding

Point 2: Homes directly west of Addicks and Barker were taking in a considerable amount of water, such as Cinco Ranch and Kelliwood, among other communities. And there was an uncontrolled release of water over the northern part of the Addicks dam. So, homes that should've remained dry if the reservoirs weren't full and spilling out/backing out were flooded.

Point 3: MOST IMPORTANT POINT, if water was not released from the dams the dams would have burst, which would have resulted in many many more homes and businesses being flooded and possibly additional losses of lives.

Point 4: Cypress Creek was over its banks and flowing south into the Addicks watershed, further compounding the amount of water entering into Addicks and the Buffalo Bayou.

I am sorry that anyone's homes flooded, but suing the city is not going to solve the fact that an inordinate amount of rain fell from a stalled Hurricane/Tropical Storm over a series of days. And also, anyone living south of those dams and within 2+ miles of the Buffalo Bayou should be aware of all of the streams, creeks & bayous that flow into the Buffalo Bayou to head into the bay. Thus, if FEMA doesn't state your home is in a flood zone, the nature of the geology and geography of that part of Houston and the fact that Houston floods constantly, should make you consider that your home could flood one day. If the city had not built those dams in the 1930s the flooding would've been far worst and more wide spread in your area.

So, the question is whose homes should flood, all of the folks upstream of the dams whose creeks, bayous, lakes, and detention ponds were backed up and overflowing or the small communites near the Buffalo Bayou downstream of the dams? It's a tough decision to make and in the end people will suffer.

Folks need to consider these things when they vote for the US/state senators, US/State representatives, and governor, because they directly impact flood control, infrastructure, and development regulations.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,703,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Hey, all.

I know there are many threads on Harvey and flooding, but I want to have a thread specifically on this area. I live near Barker off Briar Forest and Eldridge, and I'm very nervous that this area will get flooded. I know most of the flooding of these reservoirs will take place on their western boundaries. What about flooding on the east side of these reservoirs?
Does anyone know what the intersection of Barker Cypress and Kingsland is like? I've been away from home for over a week and am anxious to get back!! The map shows that it is in the overflow area of Barker Reservoir. Has that flow subsided yet?

Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,270 times
Default 7000 block of Woodway near Stoney Vrook.

I'm sorry, but I need to ask if the 7000 block of Woodway (Woodway Townhomes) near the intersection with Stoney Brook Drive, across the street from Briarbend Park is in the affected area, I live out of state and have a relative there I can't reach. Thank you.

Last edited by lotzaspotz; 09-03-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 12:22 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,803,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Does anyone know what the intersection of Barker Cypress and Kingsland is like? I've been away from home for over a week and am anxious to get back!! The map shows that it is in the overflow area of Barker Reservoir. Has that flow subsided yet?
Google Maps Satellite view shows the flooding as of 8/30 if you zoom close in.. the neighborhood off of cypress chase and barker cypress appears fine, but the apartments or larger lots with more estate like homes directly along kingsland didn't fare well. The homes south of kingsland appear flooded a lot worse than the ones on the northern side of the street, but both are bad. I am really sorry for your loss if you're among those affected. So many houses were flooded in Houston this storm, I've never seen so many parts of town hit from the same storm. This is going to have a lasting and dramatic effect on Houston real estate.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:29 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 631,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Google Maps Satellite view shows the flooding as of 8/30 if you zoom close in.. the neighborhood off of cypress chase and barker cypress appears fine, but the apartments or larger lots with more estate like homes directly along kingsland didn't fare well. The homes south of kingsland appear flooded a lot worse than the ones on the northern side of the street, but both are bad. I am really sorry for your loss if you're among those affected. So many houses were flooded in Houston this storm, I've never seen so many parts of town hit from the same storm. This is going to have a lasting and dramatic effect on Houston real estate.
Most of kingsland boulevard stay dry only from barker to barker-cypress that are flooded.

Last edited by ptt; 09-04-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzaspotz View Post
I'm sorry, but I need to ask if the 7000 block of Woodway (Woodway Townhomes) near the intersection with Stoney Brook Drive, across the street from Briarbend Park is in the affected area, I live out of state and have a relative there I can't reach. Thank you.
Not entirely sure where you're describing, but certainly some of the areas near the park you mentioned were definitely flooded according to google maps. Woodway itself flooded and the apartments whetebstoney beook drive dead ends seemed to have its northern complexes flooded somewhat.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Most of kingsland boulevard are dry only from barker to barker-cypress that are flooded.
Right, but unfortunately that's the area they were asking about.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 AM

116 posts, read 168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Army Corps of Engineers own the land where the Addicks and Barker Reservior reside? I am wondering how developers were even able to get permission to build there in the first place since some of the residential subdivisions affected by flooding were located in the reservoir itself (at least since the articles I posted this referenced it)? Anyways I do think Harris County needs to implement more strict regulations/building codes in addition to improving flood control measures similar to what currently exists in South Florida or New Orleans to ensure something like this does not happen again since the city/county was already severely affected by flooding last year..
According to the article, Harris county/Houston did enact stricter laws and regulations and was sued by developers and individuals and the laws were rolled back. Also, Houstonians refuse to vote zoning into place and increased taxes to retrofit communities. So, if people and business thwart everything local government is doing to fix flooding problems and developers keep building in flood plains and Harris county keeps eroding green spaces, the city and county will eventually be a lake, because flooding will continue.

Folks -- regulations and laws protect people, if you keep eroding or blocking them, you get Hurricane Harvey type of flooding every year. I have been in Cypress & owned my home for 3 years. Every year a major flood is around me. This isn't one off stuff, it is bad or no city planning and even worse county planning.

Up in the north east of the country, when we say its a 100 year flood it really happens once every 100 years.
That is not true in Houston MSA. Urban sprawl is ridiculous here.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 AM

23,717 posts, read 14,826,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhevoice View Post
This is the second time I heard someone say that they want to sue the city. So to put it into perspective, in case you weren't glued to the 24/7 local news the entire duration of the storm as I was. I actually heard the gentlemen explain several times over a series of press meetings why they had to release the water from the dams, when they did and put out a bulletin to folks in your area to evacuate.

Point 1: All of the upstream streams, creeks, and bayous were backing up because they could not flow into the dams, so homes upstream of Barker and Addicks were flooding

Point 2: Homes directly west of Addicks and Barker were taking in a considerable amount of water, such as Cinco Ranch and Kelliwood, among other communities. And there was an uncontrolled release of water over the northern part of the Addicks dam. So, homes that should've remained dry if the reservoirs weren't full and spilling out/backing out were flooded.

Point 3: MOST IMPORTANT POINT, if water was not released from the dams the dams would have burst, which would have resulted in many many more homes and businesses being flooded and possibly additional losses of lives.

Point 4: Cypress Creek was over its banks and flowing south into the Addicks watershed, further compounding the amount of water entering into Addicks and the Buffalo Bayou.

I am sorry that anyone's homes flooded, but suing the city is not going to solve the fact that an inordinate amount of rain fell from a stalled Hurricane/Tropical Storm over a series of days. And also, anyone living south of those dams and within 2+ miles of the Buffalo Bayou should be aware of all of the streams, creeks & bayous that flow into the Buffalo Bayou to head into the bay. Thus, if FEMA doesn't state your home is in a flood zone, the nature of the geology and geography of that part of Houston and the fact that Houston floods constantly, should make you consider that your home could flood one day. If the city had not built those dams in the 1930s the flooding would've been far worst and more wide spread in your area.

So, the question is whose homes should flood, all of the folks upstream of the dams whose creeks, bayous, lakes, and detention ponds were backed up and overflowing or the small communites near the Buffalo Bayou downstream of the dams? It's a tough decision to make and in the end people will suffer.

Folks need to consider these things when they vote for the US/state senators, US/State representatives, and governor, because they directly impact flood control, infrastructure, and development regulations.
Harris county flood control and the Corps of Engineers are the deciders. And the CoH if an area is in the ETJ.
There was a time when civil engineers who could not find a decent job went to work for the Corps, the county or the CoH. The decisions made back in the 80s helped create current flooding problems on Cypress Creek. And the current head of Harris county Flood control informs us that subsidence does not affect flooding. Hmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston