Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

As far as Texas cities, I give the advantage to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsk112 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

I saw the discussion in the Hacker News as well, but nobody seems to give Houston any chance.

Austin forum also has a discussion about it.

Is it possible? What could Houston offer? Or do Houstonians even want the Amazon Headquarters here?
Houston already has way too many people!!! Why do we need more? Let Austin have Amazon. It's already ruined beyond belief.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Hmm...I thought they have been already building that HQ near Bridgeland on Hwy99.
That's just a distribution center I think.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 AM

346 posts, read 456,044 times
Although I'd love Houston to get it, I think Harvey put a damper on that and I hope they go to a city that could use a big boost to their economy so that they can revitalize more. Baltimore and Detroit come to mind. Houston will be fine either way, so give it to a city that really needs it.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I don't think Houston would be in the works now. If anything Austin or Dallas have a better shot in Texas at landing the next HQ.

All that said, I think they will choose a city on the EastCoast to balance out as their HQ is on the WestCoast. Charleston, Savannah & New Jersey would be high on the list I imagine.

I also know Los Angeles is extremely thirsty for the new HQ but there is no way Amazon would go there since they already have a Seattle/WestCoast HQ.
I don't know of any major corporation that would place a HQ office in California due to the high tax burden, not only on the corporation, but the employees. Plus, depending on where they could put it, the high cost of housing would keep people away.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Default Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Unfortunately I think because Houston so easily floods, we won't be a good choice.
When they mention Houston, they don't necessarily mean Houston proper; and even so, the entire city was not under water. The west coast has earthquakes, that has not stopped them evidently. I'm sure whatever city is chosen, the local and state building codes address environmental issues, or the architects would too.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 AM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As far as Texas cities, I give the advantage to Houston.
I would agree that Houston would have an advantage. When you think about their business model, what comes to mind is logistics, and Houston has that covered. It has major airports with direct international flights, a massive rail system, and what many may not know is that the Houston Port Authority is the busiest port in the nation and receives the most imports as a result. It is also central relatively speaking.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Although I'd love Houston to get it, I think Harvey put a damper on that and I hope they go to a city that could use a big boost to their economy so that they can revitalize more. Baltimore and Detroit come to mind. Houston will be fine either way, so give it to a city that really needs it.
Put a damper...no kidding. Terrible (sad) timing for Houston. Not a chance. The mayor definitely has other priorities due to Harvey.

I can see Boston getting it because of available public transport. And MIT is in the area so there is IT recruiting nearby. Not even Dallas would qualify with their "rail/subway" criteria. The kind of Rail that Dallas and Houston have doesn't compare to what east coast cities have available.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
If a Texas city gets it, it would probably be dallas based on their criteria.

I'd love for Houston to get it. We desperately need a large influx of non-energy jobs.

That said, my money would be on a place like Atlanta or Chicago.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't know of any major corporation that would place a HQ office in California due to the high tax burden, not only on the corporation, but the employees. Plus, depending on where they could put it, the high cost of housing would keep people away.
Amazon and Google both come to mind. And Chevron, Wells Fargo, Disney, Cisco, Facebook, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston