Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:20 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,190 times

Advertisements

The small Toyota Tacoma is a fantastic option...bulletproof motor, easy to put a lift kit on, and hold its value as well as a Jeep.

The V6 can tow a small boat no problem, and they get half decent gas mileage.

The problem with your idea is you will need a lift and a snorkel on anything you decide upon, and if you put a lift large enough to go through high water, you won't be able to park it in 99.99% of garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Boats tend to do better in high water than any vehicle. Maybe a survival watercraft would do the job.
If you live not in a flood zone, first you need to tow this boat somehow.
On a boat you won't be able to go far anyway. If you need to evacuate for example on a 2nd day of the hurricane from relatively dry area that is about to get flooded next day (reservoir release situation), you need this survival vehicle.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
The small Toyota Tacoma is a fantastic option...bulletproof motor, easy to put a lift kit on, and hold its value as well as a Jeep.

The V6 can tow a small boat no problem, and they get half decent gas mileage.

The problem with your idea is you will need a lift and a snorkel on anything you decide upon, and if you put a lift large enough to go through high water, you won't be able to park it in 99.99% of garages.
I like Toyota Tacoma option. It could be useful for other things. How deep it can go without any lift kit? Maybe still better than Subaru Forester?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM

204 posts, read 201,684 times
I love Tacos! I've had 2 of them. If you go with the TRD PreRunner or 4X4 version, they are already much taller than a standard Taco. I can't say how deep they can go. I had a PreRunner and drove it through some water that seemed like it was splashing over the hood, but not that deep. I was probably close to the doors. My next Taco was a TRD 4X4. I took it off road, but not through any deep water.

Be forewarned, trucks are addictive. I used to always drive cars, and never wanted a truck...then I bought my first one. It was a small, used GMC. I've owned 5 trucks since, but I haul motorcycles, have a motorcycle trailer, and a camper. I love them because they are so useful.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Still say this is the true Ideal Houston car. Armor plated beast that is bomb proof.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
i had a diesel Mitsubishi Montero years ago overseas. It would motor through 3 feet of water with no problems, and that was without a snorkel. Diesels have high enough exhaust pressure to not have issues with the exhaust pipe being under water

Old 09-09-2017, 05:31 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Well if it's just going to be something used only for survival emergencies (which isn't that frequent). Why not just buy a small rowboat or John boat. At least you could have a little fun with it while you await the next emergency.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,741 times
I can't see the point, unless you plan to use it to go and help others escape during another emergency. If it's just for your own personal use to get out of town, you're better off taking that extra day of vacation and leaving town quicker.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 AM

65 posts, read 224,265 times
Not cheap, but might be a good investment - depending on your circumstances. I wonder how practical it would be for some entity to work on this technology again - maybe for fleet sales to flood prone municipalities? I rode in one back in the '60s, at Santa's Village in East Dundee, Il. Pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxnqbP5Rqhk

Old 09-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I can't see the point, unless you plan to use it to go and help others escape during another emergency. If it's just for your own personal use to get out of town, you're better off taking that extra day of vacation and leaving town quicker.
There could be several realistic scenarios why you need a survival vehicle during hurricane. And yes, it could be used for helping other people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston