Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times

Advertisements

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harv...sands-flooding

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harv...s-away-houston

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harv...p-rain-rescues

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harv...es-pain-harvey

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...rvey-get-worse

So let me start by saying in general, I think that the people in North Texas have been tremendous in the face of this hurricane. Taking in so many evacuees and opening their homes and wallets to support us has not been lost on me. Thank you to North Texans (and everyone else) that have helped with the storm relief effort - it's definitely appreciated.

With that said, I've been dismayed about the hit pieces that the DMN has been coming out with over the last 10 days or so. My opinion is that a good proportion of the coverage coming from this paper is of the "kick us while we're down" variety. There is never an opportunity missed to mention how people could have a fresh start in North Texas, or how corporations should think about moving non-energy essential corporations inland, or how the hotel market is apparently the worst in the U.S. (as if that matters to the fact that it will face pain due to this hurricane).

My perspective is that the paper is (as always, as readers of the DMN know) being a tremendous booster for the region at the expense of Houston. This isn't new, and it's part of their function. I think nothing of it in normal times - it's competition and there's nothing wrong with that. But right now, all of this seemingly inspired speculation of our impending decline in business competitiveness that will benefit them specifically comes across to me as classless and petty. The Statesman (which I also read regularly) has done none of this. I don't read the SA newspaper much as unlike the other cities, I have never lived there, but I haven't seen much of this from them either. I wonder if the powers that be at the DMN think its really a good look to keep beating this horse.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I don't see it as hit pieces
Instead, I think the Houston media doesn't talk enough about what the first two articles talk about

I love the positivity that the Houston media has had during Harvey
but we also need to find out how to prepare the city better and not just ignore it because "We don't want to be negative"

If we can reduce the number of people affected in 1/2, we can do a better job helping people next time.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't see it as hit pieces
Instead, I think the Houston media doesn't talk enough about what the first two articles talk about

I love the positivity that the Houston media has had during Harvey
but we also need to find out how to prepare the city better and not just ignore it because "We don't want to be negative"

If we can reduce the number of people affected in 1/2, we can do a better job helping people next time.

It's hard to call any one of these articles "Hit pieces" however I do wonder how many articles were posted in the DMN concerning Corpus Christi's struggles to cope with the effects of a Category 4 hurricane that hit just north of them, or with Beaumont/Port Arthurs tribulations, or what will be happening in Florida ? Maybe they have IDK..

With that said we do live in a competitive world and its hard to imagine this will not be a point of contention they use when they court businesses they know are considering a possible move to Houston or Southeast Texas. We need to keep this in mind when we look to the future path of Greater Houston.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:49 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,019,893 times
I subscribe to the DMN because frankly I think it is a better newspaper than the Chronicle (the Sports section is not even close), and yes there is a definite anti-Houston bias from that newspaper. In general they will paint Houston in the worst possible light. Sometimes I see horrific stories about Houston that I wasn't even aware of... and I live in Houston and also subscribe to the Chronicle.

I didn't go through all of the articles you posted but there was a recent article that mentioned the "sewage" problem we have in Houston when it floods, which apparently is well known and hasn't been addressed... who knew? Such exaggeration...

The coverage from DMN started out well but has since taken a negative turn. The Chronicle coverage has focused on the human side of the story and what the citizens have had to deal with. I actually think the Houston news media over-did it with all the coverage showing people being rescued... I think it would have been more useful to show some coverage on what those of us that did not flood could have been doing to help out the city. Just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I actually think the Houston news media over-did it with all the coverage showing people being rescued... I think it would have been more useful to show some coverage on what those of us that did not flood could have been doing to help out the city. Just my opinion.
I'm just glad that Houston news media didn't do the typical BS of finding an idiot that stole something and talk about "All the looting going on" for hours.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:38 PM

268 posts, read 239,563 times
The chron is just a cheerleader for the mayor. The Dallas pieces have no qualms about printing reality based journalism which the chron doesn't like to do unless it's the most recent foot in mouth comment by Trump.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
The chron is just a cheerleader for the mayor. The Dallas pieces have no qualms about printing reality based journalism which the chron doesn't like to do unless it's the most recent foot in mouth comment by Trump.
You are talking about the paper that had a section in their online page called
"Rick Perry 2012 Campaign for president"
Rick Perry 2012 Campaign for President

And you are going to tell me that the Houston Chronicle is liberal?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 PM

268 posts, read 239,563 times
Um, Dopo, those articles aren't painting Rick Perry in a very flattering light. Perry is an idiot though so that isn't really an indicator of whether the paper is liberal or conservative, though I think un-biased observations would suggest the chron tilts left. However, more to my point, the chron seems to favor this particular mayor over other democrats even. Chris Bell and Adrian Garcia got tough coverage and this mayor got a pass on the scandal that sank him last time. The chron doesn't even ask basic questions about who he is. For example, who is his life partner? Don't we deserve to know when he is handing out hundreds of millions in contracts? This isn't 1980 where being gay is a disqualifier. Our last mayor was openly gay but we know who her partner is so we can spot conflicts (spoiler alert: there are)

Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I subscribe to the DMN because frankly I think it is a better newspaper than the Chronicle (the Sports section is not even close)
That's an understatment lol

Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
The chron doesn't even ask basic questions about who he is. For example, who is his life partner? ...... This isn't 1980 where being gay is a disqualifier. Our last mayor was openly gay but we know who her partner is so we can spot conflicts (spoiler alert: there are)
Amazing
I bet you see no issue with all the President's conflict of interest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston