Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times

Advertisements

Looks Like High Density Was Best For Houston All Along-untitled.png

All too many articles like the one below:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhou...40#.cpRVlY3AJy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
The inner loop is actually designed for it. It has the bones to support it. I do see that above ground parking garages make the most sense though if you since have cars.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The inner loop is actually designed for it. It has the bones to support it. I do see that above ground parking garages make the most sense though if you since have cars.
This is so true. Almost every new development within the loop. Even just outside of it to the west are high density developments. Mixed used high rises and townhouses

Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 PM

I heard that the city has regulations that hold developments back from really using the street-front. As in, a development wants to come in with street-level retail, but the city codes don't permit it unless a parking lot and lawn is included.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:08 PM

268 posts, read 239,563 times
I would gladly trade my ranch house for a condo of the same square footage and a big patio to grill plus a park and outdoor space for the kiddo. Instead they will make this only affordable for single people with no family or they will try to jam a family of 5 into 900 square feet. Or they will add exorbitant condo fees. No thanks.

I'm not opposed to living in a tower. I just don't want THEIR idea of living in a tower. They had a tower proposed for east of downtown that was going to.have micro square footage like 400 square feet for a 300k plus unit. That's totally absurd. I think only investors from NY or Asia were willing to plop down the deposits so the project died.

The only condos built during the oil boom were for multi million dollar units. So, yeah, this is not going to happen soon.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:10 PM

268 posts, read 239,563 times
Oh yeah, and all these towers will be zoned to bad schools. That's the other reason people sprawl, to get away from bad schools without paying 15 to 25 grand per kid in private school fees.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
Didn't New York flood too with Sandy?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Didn't New York flood too with Sandy?
Yes, but with the higher density, there was less (relative) devastation from the floods. The death toll from Harvey in Houston is nearly as high as Sandy's in NYC, despite NYC being the far more populated city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
I would gladly trade my ranch house for a condo of the same square footage and a big patio to grill plus a park and outdoor space for the kiddo. Instead they will make this only affordable for single people with no family or they will try to jam a family of 5 into 900 square feet. Or they will add exorbitant condo fees. No thanks.

I'm not opposed to living in a tower. I just don't want THEIR idea of living in a tower. They had a tower proposed for east of downtown that was going to.have micro square footage like 400 square feet for a 300k plus unit. That's totally absurd. I think only investors from NY or Asia were willing to plop down the deposits so the project died.

The only condos built during the oil boom were for multi million dollar units. So, yeah, this is not going to happen soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
Oh yeah, and all these towers will be zoned to bad schools. That's the other reason people sprawl, to get away from bad schools without paying 15 to 25 grand per kid in private school fees.
Ironically, designs like the proposed Ivy Lofts (if that was the development you were referring to) may actually start to become more and more likely post-Harvey: that storm made it clear that many areas of land may not be worth building on.

Last edited by Texyn; 09-09-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Sandy wasn't Harvey. New York isn't Houston. High-density may work for some, but it's hell-on-earth for many others. Many of those positioned to benefit from Agenda 21 are pushing this type of pro-density development propaganda following Hurricane Harvey.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Sandy wasn't Harvey. New York isn't Houston. High-density may work for some, but it's hell-on-earth for many others. Many of those positioned to benefit from Agenda 21 are pushing this type of pro-density development propaganda following Hurricane Harvey.
It matters what's best for the city, regardless of what people prefer. If people want to live in Houston, given the storms it can get, then sacrifices are going to have to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston