Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

<SUSPEND DISBELIEF>

Ha! This may sound crazy, but what if Houston could sell the water that is in the reservoirs instead of letting it all go to the Gulf? What if Houston could team up with the pipeline companies and pump the waters from the reservoirs to distant locations that could use the water for recreation?

I work for an oil company, and I know there are massive pipeline systems that go to all parts of West Texas and other locations across the country. The systems are meant to pump crude, or other petroleum liquids, but they could technically be able to pump water just as easily.

Now, I'm not an engineer of course, I know the systems are not compatible, but they would have to be customized perhaps. I also know that the oil companies have systems in place already to separate oil from water, so we know the oil can be removed, or most of it. A lot of oil would evaporate on its own, oil being a 'natural' product. People could not drink it of course, not before being cleaned up mechanically, and/or chemically.

There was so much water that fell on Houston during Harvey, enough to match Lake Michigan, think about that. If you've ever seen it, it is like being in an ocean.

I'm getting off subject, I'm sure engineers could figure out a way to make it work, but its nice to dream about it I guess. Being from El Paso, I'd vote to send it to that area, create a new recreation area, or even fill up some of the old dry beds, and make a buck in the process... sure beats having to increase taxes by almost 10%!

</RESUME DISBELIEF>

I'd call it a stupid idea myself, but there are many things that exist today which many thought was stupid initially. For example, it was thought that a human could not go more than 30 miles an hour when trains first appeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 11:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
It would be nice if Houston built more reservoirs and ended the use of aquifer water. Some of the flooding is probably due to soil subsidence from draining the aquifers below the city. As the population grows, reservoir construction needs to keep up to meet Houston's water needs.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
I believe that's called a "dam"

Only thing that comes to mind with this is what Phoenix has
https://www.cap-az.com/

Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
This makes me think about one time some suggested water from the Great Lakes could be sent to the dry and thirsty west. Michigan was not amused. Haha

Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,101 times
We could also make a human chain of CD posters and hand it bucket by bucket to California.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM

509 posts, read 734,567 times
I have joked about that before. However, water is not as valuable as oil or natural gas, and the supply we could pump would be intermittent. Therefore, I'm guessing that there would never be a sufficient return on investment to warrant a pipeline out somewhere like Midland/Odessa where they would probably want the water.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Or we can save it, until we have a drought, and then flood the city

Old 09-14-2017, 06:58 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
If you do the math, the 14,000 cfs that was the peak release from Addicks and Barker dams is 215 million barrels per day. That's 100 times more than the capacity of the trans Alaska Pipeline. Then consider that the peak release from Lake Conroe was 80,000 cfs, and the peak inflow to Lake Houston was 400,000 cfs. Those are huge quantities.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
I have joked about that before. However, water is not as valuable as oil or natural gas, and the supply we could pump would be intermittent. Therefore, I'm guessing that there would never be a sufficient return on investment to warrant a pipeline out somewhere like Midland/Odessa where they would probably want the water.
You might want to rethink that statement. As time continues, water will become more and more valuable.

https://www.wateronline.com/doc/suez...uable-oil-0001

http://citywire.co.uk/money/monday-p...n-oil/a1001955

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
This makes me think about one time some suggested water from the Great Lakes could be sent to the dry and thirsty west. Michigan was not amused. Haha
But Houston would be amused. Anything to get rid of this water!

Building more reservoirs would be perfect for drought periods (like earlier in the decade) and a pipeline out West would be perfect for flood periods (like right now)!

Michigan doesn't want to subsidize population growth in Arizona since most transplants are Great Lakes/Midwesterners and their population is declining or stagnant. Texas is growing about the same rate as Arizona, California, and Florida so that disturbing subsidy is not traumatic to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston