Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Spring and cypress boutta get a ho lot mo ghetto, fam
Haha, I doubt that but perhaps portions of them will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I could remember the TV reporter said that "at least Houston drains" compared to New Orleans (Katrina or the pumps not working a couple weeks before Harvey).

Most people equate Houston and New Orleans drainage problems, but being significantly above sea level helps. The Northshore suburbs of NOLA are pretty much the same elevation as Galveston, but that's considered high by NOLA standards.
We are worse, because we don't have any pumps to get the water out
At least New Orleans has pumps
We rely on gravity and our "great" drainage system

Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My cousin lives in Houston and she is fed up with the flooding every time it rains. This hurricane clinched it for her. She and most of her neighbors are moving as soon as feasible.
She must have flooded? I live on the coastal side of harris county and wouldn't dream of moving. Love it there. I was spared from flooding this time. I was prepared though, it got close. I flooded many years ago in a different home. Just to the tops of baseboard but that was high enough.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
With all those people stuck inside with each other during the storm I predict there will be a baby boom sometime in May 2018...? That will be a population boost from Harvey !

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
With all those people stuck inside with each other during the storm I predict there will be a baby boom sometime in May 2018...? That will be a population boost from Harvey !
Not in every household,
in some households, one of the two people was freaking out way too much for anything like that

Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not in every household,
in some households, one of the two people was freaking out way too much for anything like that
Was that Mrs Dopo, or was that you freaking out ?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
We are worse, because we don't have any pumps to get the water out
At least New Orleans has pumps
We rely on gravity and our "great" drainage system
Pumps are needed because NOLA sits below sea level. Without a siphon, the water would just sit there--stagnant--and the city would be part of Lac-Ponchatrain or the new Lac-Orléans!

Beaumont and Port Arthur are essentially Louisiana swamps, which end at the Trinity River/Bay. It's much more flatter than Houston and low-lying in elevation due to the closer proximity to the Gulf Coast. The Neches and the Sabine converge into the Lake in Port Arthur.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Was that Mrs Dopo, or was that you freaking out ?
I thought only cold weather made it shrink

Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 13,451 times
Default Nola vs Houston

So New Orleans sits below water and they got pumps. So they flood when the levee built by army corp of engineers fail. Just because Houston's elevation is above New Orleans, does that mean Houston doesn't need to do anything about the annual flooding? No one disputes that other than maybe Netherlands any city could have handled the amount of rain due to Harvey. 3 floods in 3 years. At some point, you need to have flood control at a city wide basis and not just stick it to the communities that are downstream. New sub-divisions get built higher, wiping all the vegetation and who cares about the sub division that was built 10 yrs ago. I think the developers run the city. It's interesting to see between the insurers and builders who prevails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston