Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 921 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a nephew in Kline ISD who attends school there, my sister is having problems with a bus driver who appears to not know how to work with children with autism. My question is: do staff receive any kind of specialized training prior to working with children with special needs?
Does this school district receive any kind or reimbursement for children with special needs?
What are her options in addressing issues with concerns with the people who work with her child?
Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Julia Martinez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 AM

392 posts, read 317,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez123 View Post
Hello,
I have a nephew in Kline ISD who attends school there, my sister is having problems with a bus driver who appears to not know how to work with children with autism. My question is: do staff receive any kind of specialized training prior to working with children with special needs?
Does this school district receive any kind or reimbursement for children with special needs?
What are her options in addressing issues with concerns with the people who work with her child?
Thank you,
Julia Martinez
If you need special accommodation, try to talk to the driver if they are permitted to do so. If you're unsuccessful with the request, then call Transportation Dept at Klein ISD.

Special Education Parent Info - Klein Independent School Di...

Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez123 View Post
Hello,
Thank you,
Julia Martinez
Schools do NOT receive any funding for special needs students despite the persistent rumors to the contrary. Yes, they get some federal funds, but..these are not enough to pay for the services that are legally required, so the school and district has to come up with the shortfall.

As for training, it depends on what the school decides to do and usually it includes training for teachers not other staff. Is he on a special needs bus? Ime, those bus drivers do know something about how to interact with the kids, but it's hit or miss when it comes to individual bus drivers.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:14 PM

694 posts, read 835,567 times
Schools have difficulty keeping bus drivers....most districts in the area frequently break their own internal rules for special ed transport. Special Ed busses are also supposed to have an aide, but frequently dont..they are supposed to have received training, but frequently dont.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:27 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Schools do NOT receive any funding for special needs students despite the persistent rumors to the contrary. Yes, they get some federal funds, but..these are not enough to pay for the services that are legally required, so the school and district has to come up with the shortfall.

As for training, it depends on what the school decides to do and usually it includes training for teachers not other staff. Is he on a special needs bus? Ime, those bus drivers do know something about how to interact with the kids, but it's hit or miss when it comes to individual bus drivers.
Your first two sentences are completely contradictory. You say they don't and then admit that they do.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Your first two sentences are completely contradictory. You say they don't and then admit that they do.
They get a very small amount and they have mandates to give certain services by law, so the district is actually out of pocket for special needs kids.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:56 PM

694 posts, read 835,567 times
The school is out of pocket, only if they provide any special services...same with ESL......they don't mind signing you up, they then withold any significant assistance, requiring you to argue at the ARD for everything that your child needs.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
The school is out of pocket, only if they provide any special services...same with ESL......they don't mind signing you up, they then withold any significant assistance, requiring you to argue at the ARD for everything that your child needs.
I have an autistic grandson. If the school is following the law, then it will be providing services. You may disagree with the particular services and think your child needs something more or different, but they must provide services. Of course, sometimes parents have to fight for what they believe the child needs, but in my Houston suburb, my grandson has had all he needs until 5th grade and now that he is in 7th grade, he is getting what he needs again. His middle school here was an anomaly in that the school was (as it often is) focused too much on testing and did not really individualize as he needed. I wish that everyone could have as good a special needs team as we have had here (with the exception of middle school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: