Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,165 times

Advertisements

We are finally thinking about buying a home this year. Planning to buy to live there for at least 5 years, preferrably in TMC area/sugarland on a price range of 250K (aprox).

My opinion about Houston market is that things will be flat/lower till summer of 2010.

Well, as they say, it does not matter "WHEN" if you are for the long term. Also, NOW is the best time

But, What I would like to hear from experienced folks here is, Is there any special (dis)advanatges in buying on a particular time (say, Winter) ?

Why sugarland : Since we live in Houston (work in DownTown/TMC) now, I do understand how important is TRAFFIC/COMMUTE in the decision. I was studying the live traffic map (Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map) for last couple of months and it seems US 59 is the 'less worst' on peak times .

Last edited by wheretogo; 03-17-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 18,861 times
Peak buying times are Summer and Christmas break because people try to move when the kids are on a break. So if that is not a concern, Sellers are more desperate during the school year because there are less buyers.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM

50 posts, read 62,827 times
I find "2010" interesting......If you only plan on being (here) there 5 years and expect the market to be slow 3 more years.....just know you will only have minimal amount of equity when you sell.

I think the best time to buy is spring/early summer.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
The best time to buy is when you get ready. You may get a better deal on a brand new inventory home at the end of the year. Appreciation is slow here so you are not going to get the "deal" you might in other parts of the country. Homes may stay on the market a little longer but sale prices are still close to asking price in most cases.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the respsonses..Keep it coming..
I know that there wont be much in EQUITY when I sell after 5 years. Thats not a big concern for me since I consider housing as an expense (not as an investment). If I could get what I paid for + selling expenses, I am happy. What I am more concerned is whether I could sell it when I wanted to sell..I dont want to buy somewhere where it would be hard to find buyers and house sitting on market forever..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
The best time to buy is when you get ready. You may get a better deal on a brand new inventory home at the end of the year. Appreciation is slow here so you are not going to get the "deal" you might in other parts of the country. Homes may stay on the market a little longer but sale prices are still close to asking price in most cases.

^^ applies only to the burbs.

The best time to buy in town is mid-March thru June. You have the most choices at that time. Every other time of the year there are things, but if you miss it, you often have to wait a while untill something else appealing comes on the market.
Appreciation in Houston hasn't been slow. House values have actually doubled or tripled in the past 10 years in many places. HOWEVER, I see things sitting right now for more than three weeks, so I think the the market is currently flat, which is good for buyers. 20 day turn over has been the norm lately in points west of downtown.

The burbs has tons of inventory. Any time of the year is fine, people transfer year round out there. If you don't get the house you want, you can always find the same plan around the corner brand new. THAT'S what keeps the appreciation slow.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
The right time to buy is when you feel you are ready. An inventory home will get you the best bang for the buck.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
A good school district is important for resale. Buyers will pass up a great house if the school district isn't very good.
My knowledge is the suburbs, not the city, and there are plenty of custom homes out here that you will not just find the floor plan right around the corner. There are alot of happy homeowners in The Woodlands, Champions, Tomball, Magnolia, Cy-fair and surrounding areas.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the response guys.
How about taxes ? Is there something like you have to be living in the house on Dec 31 2008 to qualify for homestead exception in 2009 ? Also, Is there any good time to 'close' in a month (Beginning/mid/end) ?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Yes, you must be in your home by the first of the year.

Montgomery County has very high taxes compared to Harris. I think Ft. Bend's are inbetween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston