Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:01 PM

951 posts, read 1,435,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
If you’re already located within HIsD

Many high quality magnet and vanguard schools are in the area. Deadline for applications into the lottery is December.
Does Magnet and Vanguard schools have PPCD programs at 3 years old?

I think you are talking about Elementary school and above here, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
Sorry to hear about layoffs, its a rough time in the industry.

Search 77055, its SBISD, look at areas that are zoned to Valley Oaks, Landrum Middle (at the moment most in this feeder pattern transfer to Spring Branch Middle which is not hard to get into) and Memorial High.

It's an up and coming area, the commute to DT is ~25-30 mins with traffic (~<20 wo) and the Galleria is only ~15 mins away. Lots of young families moving into the area.

There are new communities with homes under 600K, but you will have to give up on lot size. Otherwise you might find an older home that needs lots of work.

Some new construction communities in the area:

Village at Spring Branch - David Weekly
Sanctuary at Valley Oaks - David Weekly
Reserve on Moritz - CalAtlantic Homes

I'm not sure exactly what your kiddo might need but in my experience SBISD has been really responsive with intervention services. They really want to serve all kids and the turn around time to evaluate what resources you child may qualify for has been impressive. For example, in my daughter's class there is a boy who is blind and is completely mainstreamed.

There is also pre-K available to anyone who wishes to attend (assuming space is available). SBISD has done a good job managing their funds and a bond package is up for vote to continue rebuilding thei older schools, which they can do without raising tax rates.

Edit:
Forgot to include that the area didn't flood during Harvey.

Good luck!
I checked that area but the houses zoned to Spring Branch MS then price goes above $1MM

if it is zoned to Landrum then it gets cheaper but that school is graded 2.

So how do you transfer from Landrum to Spring Branch MS again?

Otherwise it is a great location

Old 11-02-2017, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 26,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
It's not useful to look at the overall average scores for Lamar. There are really two schools sharing the campus. The IB program is well above average in terms of academic rigor and just about all off those kids are going to college. As long as your kid is in the IB program, they'll get a pretty good education. The non-IB portion of Lamar, however, is academically unacceptable in my opinion.
How does a kid get into the IB program? Is qualification based on test scores? Grades in middle school?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 PM

509 posts, read 725,116 times
frumble - I'll have to let somebody else here answer that. Not sure how one gets into the IB program since they started it after my brother and I graduated and my own kids are not in HISD schools.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 PM

569 posts, read 1,070,977 times
This is a little over $600K but is new construction and community has agreement with the school district for their kids to attend Spring Branch MS. I know someone who’s very happy with this community. Community is nearly sold out.

1607 West Rose Terrace Lane, Houston, TX 77055 - HAR.com

Old 11-02-2017, 07:54 PM

569 posts, read 1,070,977 times
This one is by David Weekley
8319 Ginger Oak, Houston, TX 77055 - HAR.com
8323 Ginger Oak, Houston, TX 77055 - HAR.com

Many to choose from.
8323 Ginger Oak, Houston, TX 77055 - HAR.com

Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
In HISD there are tuition-based preschools. None of them are technically "magnet" as attendance boundaries do not exist for preschools. Free preschool education is only available to specific groups: children of police/firefighters/EMS, children with a parent in the military and/or injured/killed/missing on active duty, homeless, unable to speak English, anyone who meets Head Start criteria, or anyone in foster care http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/126445

There are private preschools affiliated with two HISD schools: Beehive for West University and Poe Cooperative for Poe Elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Does Magnet and Vanguard schools have PPCD programs at 3 years old?

I think you are talking about Elementary school and above here, right?

Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I am currently living in Stafford. I have a son who is delayed but improving fast. He is not autistic he is just delayed and that is why we are planning to send him to PPCD which starts at 3 years old.

I am also currently working in Galleria but we have been told layoffs will start in a year or so. I am in energy/finance and there are no jobs in this field along 59 south be it Sugar land or Stafford or Missouri City

All the jobs I came across in my search are located either in Galleria or downtown or somewhere in between. Also the 59 north commute is getting crazier by the day and it will only get worse with all the house construction along the 59 south all the way to Rosenberg.

I am looking for neighborhoods

1) where I can easily commute to anywhere between Galleria and downtown. Actually most jobs are in downtown.

2) where elementary, middle school and high school are above average. It does not have to be the best of the best but you know what I mean.

First things that comes to mind are West u, rice, bellaire. Anywhere else? Anywhere to avoid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
This is a little over $600K but is new construction and community has agreement with the school district for their kids to attend Spring Branch MS. I know someone who’s very happy with this community. Community is nearly sold out.

1607 West Rose Terrace Lane, Houston, TX 77055 - HAR.com
Are you kidding me?

This house is zoned to to worst middle school ever

Landrum Middle School

Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post

I dont know where and how you look but these houses are zoned to Landrum Middle School which has 2 points

Old 11-03-2017, 10:48 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
https://cms.springbranchisd.com/maps...School-Locator says:

* 1607 West Rose Terrace Lane (Valley Oaks ES, Landrum MS, Memorial HS)
* 8319 Ginger Oak (Valley Oaks ES, Landrum MS, Memorial HS)
* 8323 Ginger Oak (Valley Oaks ES, Landrum MS, Memorial HS)

IF there is an agreement to attend Spring Branch MS, you need to confirm this by calling SBISD's hotline and asking them if these properties are!

Even with other school zoning, call the school district and confirm whether your new house is in those zones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston