Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinaqbana View Post
I just moved to Katy (close to Houston) from Hialeah ( close to Miami ) and I can tell you that you can't compare one to the other. They each have their own attributes and flaws. What do I love about Miami? The tropical ambiance, the food, the different cultures and fashion. The beaches of course and it's close to Orlando (Disney, Universal, etc.) and other cities (Cape Coral, The Keys, Tampa, Naples,etc.) that have attractions and very nice homes that are far more affordable than Miami.
On the other hand, you get very rude and snobby people, superficial people that care more about their homes, cars, and clothes than their childrens education or retirement fund. Horrible traffic with the rudest drivers. Expensive housing and outrageous prices for homes with rooms you can't even fit a king bed set in. Life is hard and expensive and not worth the work for the sun and some nice palm trees. Hence why we move to a more relaxed country setting, like Katy, Texas.

Katy is beautiful and homes are super cheap and very nice. The school district is highly acclaimed. Education and family is high priority here. Lots of fun activites for families. People are very nice and friendly. Traffic can get heavy at times but people drive normal. It can get hot (106 read my vans temp) but it's hot in Miami too.

What I havent gotten accustomed to I guess is the lifestyle here is different and so the food..like that for breakfast I cant just go and have a pastelito or tostada w/ cafe con leche... here you get spicy tacos, Kolaches (similar to pigs-in-a-blanket) or some other Mexican finger food. Dont get me wrong, I like Mexican food. As a matter of fact.... I was born in Miami Beach, Florida ... but my parents moved to Los Angeles, California when I was 1 yrs old. I lived there (w/ Mexicans) until I was 9 and then my parents moved back to Miami. So I know how to live with all types of people and cultures, but I dont want a freakin taco for breakfast !!!! I miss my black beans -n- rice with pork , tostones and papa rellena, and croquetas.
You just cant find that here .... If all goes well... I plan to open a CUBAN BAKERY... Im sure I will make it big, its something good and different and Im sure it will BLOW Katy away.... well that is if IKE doesnt first !!!
Nice response.

A point to consider, though, is that it hasn't been 106 in Katy since the great heat wave of September 2000. Then again, you might have been sitting in an asphalt parking lot, which doesn't give a temperature you can compare with another city unless the temp in the other city is also measured in an asphalt parking lot. Temperatures measured by sensors in vehicles are notoriously erroneous.

Sorry to ramble...again, very nice, interesting response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
They're basically the same except:
Florida Beaches are better...heh... The gulf is sort of murky...I think that is due to the Silt from the Mississippi.
Houston is more family orientated, not so much party...overall its pretty boring comparatively.There IS great and fun stuff to do, but Miami is more of the Fun. If you have a family Houston is better.
Houston has less Cubans and More Mexicans and African Americans.

I think that about covers it, all in all pretty similar. Might get a little hotter in the summer, and maybe a few less palm trees.
Less old people...but I think that is More Texas Vs Houston in general.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Houston has less Cubans and More Mexicans and African Americans.
Houston has more of every ethnicity than Miami except Cubans, Dominican Republicans, & possibly Jamaicans. People who think Miami is diverse obviously have no clue what diverse really is. Good luck finding a Chinatown in Miami.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has more of every ethnicity than Miami except Cubans, Dominican Republicans, & possibly Jamaicans. People who think Miami is diverse obviously have no clue what diverse really is. Good luck finding a Chinatown in Miami.
Miami has a much more diverse hispanic community than Houston and it isn't close. Miami has the south's largest Columbian, Panamian, Nicaraguan, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Venezuelan, etc. etc. I know Houston is more than Mexican but the Mexican still the solid majority. Miami also has a slightly more diverse black community as it is close to the islands. Miami has the largest Jamaican, Haitian,and Bohemian population in the south. I say slightly because Houston has more West Africans by a large margin.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberryd View Post
WOW! me and u are in the exact same position...i'm a black/native american student in miami now trying to decide b/w houston, atlanta, and ny! I'm feelin you on the 'bilingual preferred' requirement in miami, the 'different type of racism' present in miami, andddd I HATE TRAFFIC TOO! lol...But, driving miami's 95--even at rush hour was really not that bad for me. Driving 95 in dc/md/va is HELL--the beltway sucks! Anyways, I hope some more people post b/c i, like u, need some insight before making the big move!
CUrious what you and UrbaneProspect chose!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 AM

471 posts, read 850,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami has a much more diverse hispanic community than Houston and it isn't close. Miami has the south's largest Columbian, Panamian, Nicaraguan, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Venezuelan, etc. etc. I know Houston is more than Mexican but the Mexican still the solid majority. Miami also has a slightly more diverse black community as it is close to the islands. Miami has the largest Jamaican, Haitian,and Bohemian population in the south. I say slightly because Houston has more West Africans by a large margin.
Miami has also tons of Europeans (French, Italians, and Germans). More than any other city in the country probably, definitely more than Houston.

Miami also has more jews than Houston, probably the highest concentration after NY.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You are wrong. Tons of Europeans in Miami. More than any other city in the country on a percentage base. Also way more Jews.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Just because Miami doesn't have a Chinatown doesn't make it NOT diverse. Sheesh. White people are rare there. They hide at their Country and Yacht Clubs and live deep in Coral Gables, Down off Mangrove Roads around Old Cutler, and parts of Coconut Grove.

Miami might get hot in the summer, but it has a breeze and afternoon storms that cool it off. It never has days of 100 degress and still air. Houston's summer is FAR rougher.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Just because Miami doesn't have a Chinatown doesn't make it NOT diverse. Sheesh. White people are rare there. They hide at their Country and Yacht Clubs and live deep in Coral Gables, Down off Mangrove Roads around Old Cutler, and parts of Coconut Grove.

Miami might get hot in the summer, but it has a breeze and afternoon storms that cool it off. It never has days of 100 degress and still air. Houston's summer is FAR rougher.
Miami is a World Class City. Only NY and San Francisco are visited by more tourists each year. Now where is Houston in that list?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

I think you mean Woodlands & Memorial style "whites" are rare there.
(Non-Hispanic white.)

Believe it or not, there are Cubans & South Americans, which for census purposes are still considered "white". Many from Cuba, Peru, Colombia and Argentina certainly look ''non-diverse.''

I'm reading one stat that puts Miami at roughly 66% white... but 55% of the Hispanic variety. So yeah, that 11% is a pretty small number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston