Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM

73 posts, read 350,904 times

Advertisements

According to Forbes, Houston is in the top 10 for tourism at #9 with over 32 million tourists.

Behind Vegas, LA, Orlando, NY, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, San Diego in that order.

They come in ahead of Dallas, Philly, Phoenix, Anaheim, San Fran and Miami comes in 14th with 19.7 million tourists.

I think Houston is well represented in that department. As for Diversity, I'll leave the previous posters comments to stand. I've spent time in alot of major cities, and no city has made me feel more like a foreigner in my own country than Miami, and that included NY, LA, Vegas and Orlando, not about being an outsider cause of the differently cultures, just I never felt Miami in my stay there could really could care less about the avg Joe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM

471 posts, read 850,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chh2 View Post
According to Forbes, Houston is in the top 10 for tourism at #9 with over 32 million tourists.

Behind Vegas, LA, Orlando, NY, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, San Diego in that order.

They come in ahead of Dallas, Philly, Phoenix, Anaheim, San Fran and Miami comes in 14th with 19.7 million tourists.

I think Houston is well represented in that department. As for Diversity, I'll leave the previous posters comments to stand. I've spent time in alot of major cities, and no city has made me feel more like a foreigner in my own country than Miami, and that included NY, LA, Vegas and Orlando, not about being an outsider cause of the differently cultures, just I never felt Miami in my stay there could really could care less about the avg Joe.
Let's not be ridicolous. That ranking must not distinguish between visiting family and visiting for leisure.

I am European and don't know one single European or foreigner for that matter who would dream to visit Houston or Atlanta for leisure before seeing San Francisco and Miami. Let's be serious here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...oreigners.html

Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 27,022 times
What about the hurricanes, floods and tornados? How do you deal with those?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady2972 View Post
Hurricanes: We evacuate or if your feeling lucky, you ride it out.

Floods: We throw on our swimsuits and floaties

Tornadoes: We just ride it out, usually going into shelters, getting under overpasses, or get in tubs with mattress. Sometimes going to sleep is a good way to survive one:x

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady2972 View Post
We handle it just like people in earthquake, mudslide, blizzard, etc. prone areas deal with those situations. I can't think of anywhere that's truly safe from some form of unsavory natural element.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I am European and don't know one single European or foreigner for that matter who would dream to visit Houston or Atlanta for leisure before seeing San Francisco and Miami...[/url]
Thank God for that!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
It takes all kinds though. I have a friend on another forum from Brisbane, Australia who is fascinated by El Paso of all places.

Anyway, I don't like living among tourists much, so SF and Miami can have them.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 AM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Hi Urban...

I will tell you the truth about what you can expect.

I have just relocated to Houston after living in Miami for 8 years.

I'll try to keep it as short and to the point as possible (I said I would try)

Cost of living: Renting and owning will cost you HALF of what it does in Miami

Cost of fuel: Normally anywhere from 10 - 15 cents less per gallon.

Cost of utilities: about 10 % less.

Overall cost of living is abot 30% less than South Florida.

Community: Houston is much more diverse that Miami.

Houston not only has a latino, black and white population, but also a large Asian, Indian, and Arab community - which Miami lacks.

People here get along very well as compared to Miami. The racial tension in Miami among the groups is far worse than here.

People here just get along much better. It's not rare to see a group of white, blacks, latino and asian friends having dinner together at any of the great restaraunts in Houston. The clubs are more intergrated too.

Now, the beach (Galveston) is down right ugly compared to Miami's.

However, you won't live at the beach 24/7 anyway.

Shopping is better here. From Galleria, Memorial City to Katy Mills, shopping is a favorite pasttime here.

The job market is better and more diversified than Miami. And the salaries are slightly better than Miami, while enjoying a LOWER cost of living. So you dollar goes further here than in Miami.

The traffic is BETTER than Miami. Since SFLA is overpopulated and has limited access highways, I find the traffic here to be better. The highway system is excellent. Yes, there is traffic during rush hour, but what city doesn't have that issue? And it's NOT worse than LA...I lived there for a year..and NOTHING beats LA traffic at ANY hour.

Now many of the local roads have a pothole and uneven pavement issue, which if you have a sports car or performance tires, may beat up your car. That's one thing Miami has better - nice and even paved streets and highways.

Healthcare is more affordable and the quality here is better. Lots of great hospitals and Houston have the Texas Medical Center...largest in the country. So don't worry about getting sick here and not making it out the hospital alive, where in Miami you WILL have that fear.

Public transportation is better here. Unlike Miami's one metro line, Houston have several light rail lines and a large bus system. And they are expanding the light rail.

More museums and arts (opera, ballet..etc), than Miami. Larger and beautiful parks.

Now, parts of Houston have a litter problem. But with a city this large, it's expected.

Also, no zoning laws which is weird at first. In the Westhcase district you can have an apartment complex surrounded by two office towers.

And Bi-lingual is NOT preferred here. ENGLISH is spoken EVERYWHERE, unlike Miami.
Miami's Latino population is mostly Cuban, followed by Colombian, Venezuelen, Puerto Rican, Argentine and others.
Texas is mostly Mexican and Central American. So instead of going to "La Carreta" for Cuban food, you'll probably head to Ninfas for Mexican.

And as far as Obese people are concerned, Yes, it's SLIGHTLY higher here than Miami. But you will a find a lot gym fans around. It's nothing that pops out at you.

And Houston is the 4th largest city in the country. So pretty liberal out here. Now, it's no San Francisco or South Beach either. Everything in moderation. There's a place and time for everything. You want to party, there's plenty of clubs and bars for that. Montrose is the most "liberal" part of town, and home to the Gay Community and many gay establisments. The Heights is a cool progessive part of Houston with many beautiful older homes.

Overall, Houston is a BETTER city to LIVE in.

Now if you want beaches, clubs, bars and nightlife 24/7, stay in Miami.

If you want an overall better quality of life - Houston's your bet.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
Well.. I lived in Miami all of my life until my early 30's, then moved to HOU and am now about to move back to MIA. I enjoyed Houston and yes, the cost of living is about 30% less.. but there is a sincere difference in many regards. One of which, for me, is the lack of Cubans! I love my culture and I like the banter of the Cuban connection as well as croquetas de jamon and the opportunity to drive up to a cafetera for a quick cafe! Also, the beautiful people! The palm trees.. the ocean.. the speed of Miami can not be matched in HOU! However, HOU is full of nice people, people who smile at you for no reason at all, just genuine. The transportation system here is awesome! I love the 5 lane(s) highways and the feeder roads. What a great plan on behalf of the DOT. However, there is still a major "miss" and it really is the ocean! With the Atlantic, comes the wave of fashion, energy, speed, fitness and the desire for style. I know that once I move back going to a local CVS, hair in a bun and flip flops is not an option. However, I'm ok with that.. and I really am not much of a fan of those football sized baked potatoes with everything but the kitchen sink on it! What gives?! I think there are a lot of people who are over weight here and unfortunately I do tend to notice it, more than I should?! The cost of living is a plus, the transportation system is awesome, but the best part of HOU, to me, has been the "welcome factor." People here are cool if you are an outsider. Mostly everyone I met here, was from somewhere else and had different area codes on their phones. But, what can I say, I love MIAMI! And, I am looking forward to going home!!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
See my thread Miami Vs. Houston -- A first look.

I moved to Houston July 1st after living my whole life in Miami. Houston is better in every way except the conditions of the roads -- too many cracks, bumps, and potholes. The biggest difference is that the people here are nicer by far! I made more friends in the first two weeks than I had in the previous 6 years in Miami (and I am an outgoing person). My big sin in Miami was that I don't speak Spanish, don't drink myself to near unconsciousness, and don't do drugs so meeting people is close to impossible.
Race relations are much better in Houston as well. The group I do things with is a mix of White, East Asian, Black, and some Hispanics. You would never find that in Miami. Miami is too click-ish.
I realize the OP's post is two years old. If he manages to read this thread I hope he posts his revelations about the differences he has encountered between Houston and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston