Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 PM

348 posts, read 460,266 times

Advertisements

My family is hoping to move to the Houston area this March. We've been planning for a bit and are much closer to finally moving. My husband and I would be working from home. He'll be traveling to Memphis and London frequently.

We're looking in Klein (77379) and the Woodlands (77381), but this post is about Klein. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with the Klein area? Do you have any suggestions in terms of what subdivisions to look in or if to include another zip code? Neighborhoods with mature trees? My first choice seems to be Gleannloch Farms, followed by Memorial Northwest. Any opinions? Should I add/remove? Hassler and Theiss Elementary are the Klein ISD schools I'm aiming for. Any thoughts on either? We have an almost 5 year old that should be starting K in September. We're not sure if he'll continue private Montessori yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by fbf2006; 01-12-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 AM

Anyone have thoughts? ��

Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Budget? Size of house you’re looking for?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 AM

$399K, 3,000 sq ft. I’ve seen houses online. I’m asking about the Klein area and if to add/remove sub divisions I’m looking at. Currently focused on Gleannloch and Memorial Northwest.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM

188 posts, read 376,597 times
I am from Bloomfield NJ too by the way...graduated from BHS in 1994!!

Stay away from houses in the Champions Forest section or sections on Cypresswood Dr. I can tell you for a fact that these neighborhoods flooded from Harvey.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
I am from Bloomfield NJ too by the way...graduated from BHS in 1994!!

Stay away from houses in the Champions Forest section or sections on Cypresswood Dr. I can tell you for a fact that these neighborhoods flooded from Harvey.
Thanks for the heads up! Yea, I had previously read to look north of Louetta due to some areas south of there flooding (even before Harvey), that's kinda how I settled on 77379. Any suggestions in that zip code or another one that's okay as well?

I've also read a few things about Memorial Northwest homes being built cheaply in the 80s? Not all, but some. How can I tell which ones were built cheaply?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM

188 posts, read 376,597 times
That's a good question. I am not sure about the house construction but maybe you can look for a local facebook group for the subdivision and ask. That's what I have done in the past.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:01 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Some of those houses in Memorial NW may have high utility bills. Those poorly insulated houses are sometimes hard to cool and heat. Also, if looking for an older home anywhere, check the plumbing. If the house has galvanized supply lines, run away fast. We had an 80s built house in Woods of Wimbledon 2, but it had copper. The ones with galvanized had to have the plumbing replaced or repaired. That's in the whole area.

I would also get doubled paned windows, with a thermal break. They use cheap windows here. Even the good builders. You can be looking at a 500K house and they have cheap windows. That matters comfort and utility bill wise.

I would go for newer house in Gleannloch. Better on utility cost, better built and better resale.

If you want older, I sure can understand why. Look at Huntwick and Lakewood Forest. Cy Fair tax rates are maybe higher than Klein, but they give a bigger exemption. So actual dollars paid on school taxes on the exact same value house will be cheaper in Cy Fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston