Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 AM

156 posts, read 282,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Would you support Aldine ISD consolidating into Houston ISD? I would like to see the Bush Airport area go into the HISD service zone.

Anyhow if such a merge happened would you consolidate BT Washington HS into Carver HS, or vice versa?
I would rather see it go the other way around. Aldine ISD is a much better run district than HISD, especially considering HISD is very much at risk of being taken over by the state.

The areas that Aldine ISD covers are almost all low income so they don't have the little pockets of influence that tends to raise the schools' scores around them. Since test scores are all that matter
anymore districts with challenges like Aldine tend to get dismissed as poorly run.

I agree, it is much harder for depressed areas to attract new people if you are in a different school district a few streets over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
I would rather see it go the other way around. Aldine ISD is a much better run district than HISD, especially considering HISD is very much at risk of being taken over by the state.

The areas that Aldine ISD covers are almost all low income so they don't have the little pockets of influence that tends to raise the schools' scores around them. Since test scores are all that matter
anymore districts with challenges like Aldine tend to get dismissed as poorly run.

I agree, it is much harder for depressed areas to attract new people if you are in a different school district a few streets over.
The HISD state takeover proposal was related to 13 poorly performing campuses (out of 280+ schools) being perennially underachieving Houston ISD faces state takeover if long-failing campuses don't improve - Houston Chronicle - I don't know if the TEA argued that HISD management had particular deficiencies in the situation or if it's merely based on the test scores. Anyhow, in which ways is Aldine ISD better-run than HISD? (I'm not from north Houston so I don't know AISD management that well)

My suggestion for consolidation is based on economies of scale, efficiencies, and redrawing attendance boundaries. Then new magnet programs could be opened in north Houston so the kiddos up there have the same programs that they have on the south side: say an aviation high school in the shadows of Bush Airport. If it means stacking the administration with AISD's superintendent and staff, so be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
you have more people own properties in Acres Homes than off of 610 as that was the reason its called that. And then there are neighborhoods on the border of Acres Homes that claim the area which plenty of homeowners also. Only thing gentrifying is undeveloped land that's close to the loop.
I wonder how many well-to-do blacks moved out of AH in the 1970s, and if any of them became landlords. I know the landlords in the 4th Ward were mostly Italians.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Acres Home was used a place to boost integration numbers as then you had MC Williams in play, Aldine and then Klein ISD. A

At that time, it was Klein High which made it even more ridiculous to do that to those kids as how can you live across the street from a school but be zoned to a school miles away such as the way it is with Eisenhower.
It was insane how the kids across the street from Eisenhower were going to Klein district more than 20 minutes away.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
With a few key exceptions, nothing outside the Beltway is worth gentrifying.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:10 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
With a few key exceptions, nothing outside the Beltway is worth gentrifying.
Acres Homes is not outside the Beltway...

Old 03-17-2018, 03:45 AM

⬆️ I meant Loop 610, the "inner Beltway."

Last edited by Texyn; 03-17-2018 at 03:54 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 08:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
As much as people may want to think hipsters, gays etc. are going to Third Ward and saying "Oh look, black people! Let's force them out of their neighborhood!" - they're not. It's close to the city center and to the amenities it has to offer. Acres Homes isn't.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
As much as people may want to think hipsters, gays etc. are going to Third Ward and saying "Oh look, black people! Let's force them out of their neighborhood!" - they're not. It's close to the city center and to the amenities it has to offer. Acres Homes isn't.
Not to mention a continually improving Tier 1 research institution.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Quote:
⬆️ I meant Loop 610, the "inner Beltway."
Nobody calls it that but okay. The reason this area is popular is that homes in Oak Forest and Garden Oaks are already pushing over $1 million and so you go a little farther north and your in Acre Homes where land is still cheap.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Not to mention a continually improving Tier 1 research institution.
Absolutely. Was UH going to transition from a commuter campus to a Tier 1 university while the surrounding area stays some sort of "here be dragons" terra incognita on the map? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston