Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
News to me. I can't recall the last time someone I know had their vehicle broken into.

Like never?
Hmmm. Well in 12 years of living here I had 2 break ins. Both times they popped the lock with a screwdriver I think. Just a few weeks ago a co worker from Norway got his car broken into and they stole his work laptop. Just part of living in the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Hmmm. Well in 12 years of living here I had 2 break ins. Both times they popped the lock with a screwdriver I think. Just a few weeks ago a co worker from Norway got his car broken into and they stole his work laptop. Just part of living in the big city.
Man, you can't even leave your laptop in car anymore

Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM

41 posts, read 44,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I lived in San Antonio and I don’t like it
San Antonio is not a very diverse city ... all you got there is white and Mexicans
I noticed that is rare to see an Asian person in San Antonio

I didn’t want my kids growing up in San Antonio
Seems like everybody there’s works in the military or some kind of entertainment business
When I told people that I’m an engineer they acted as if I told them that I’m an astronaut

For whatever reason 75% of San Antonio looks ghetto
I tend to disagree. Living in both places the Houston metropolitan area has much more slum and ghetto everywhere. Baytown, Channel View, Humble... 3rd ward. It's everywhere. My car was broken into the first time I came to Houston.

Lockheed, Southwest Research Inst, USAA are all in SA and very diverse employee population. I subleased my apt there one time to a Russian guy who just arrived to work at USAA. The military has a lot of bio related research activities going on there as well.

San Antonio is a very old city relative to the Area. The oldest cathedral in North America is there and some of the catholic missions extend to the 1600's. It's more of a older, traditional place than a ghetto.

Last edited by BaustinTejas; 01-31-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 09:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
I tend to disagree. Living in both places the Houston metropolitan area has much more slum and ghetto everywhere. Baytown, Channel View, Humble... 3rd ward. It's everywhere. My car was broken into the first time I came to Houston.

Lockheed, Southwest Research Inst, USAA are all in SA and very diverse employee population. I subleased my apt there one time to a Russian guy who just arrived to work at USAA. The military has a lot of bio related research activities going on there as well.

San Antonio is a very old city relative to the Area. The oldest cathedral in North America is there and some of the catholic missions extend to the 1600's. It's more of a older, traditional place than a ghetto.
I'm tired of people complaining that Houston suburbs aren't all pristine and high-income. Just because our suburbs here have lots of low income people and crime doesn't make Houston a worse place to live.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
In the greater Houston area, it is understood that:
A laptop or anything that looks valuable left visible inside a car = an invitation to break into that car

Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
In the greater Houston area, it is understood that:
A laptop or anything that looks valuable left visible inside a car = an invitation to break into that car
This.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
That's less than 1/4 of Houston

Everything in San Antonio that doesn't have the word "North" on it, is trashy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston