Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 09:47 AM

509 posts, read 734,707 times

Advertisements

This article makes a pretty plausible case that the approximate location of HQ2 was always going to be the DC area from the start. Amazon was just playing us all for negotiating leverage:

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...pressbrook.com

"The triumvirate of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia already have a lock on Amazon HQ2, and likely one of those spots has already been chosen, with the other two out there for competition and cover, and perhaps other Amazon future uses.
What makes these sites different from all other sites?
Amazon’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, who bought the Washington Post in 2013, is now building a second home in D.C. Montgomery County and Northern Virginia are connected to D.C. by the Metro system, and are closer to the District than Westchester is to Manhattan.
Now, Amazon certainly knew all this when they sent out the requests. I mean, what a great public relations ploy! Not only do they get the three jurisdictions’ best suggestions, but they tricked them into thinking they were going to have to compete with most of North America. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
This article makes a pretty plausible case that the approximate location of HQ2 was always going to be the DC area from the start. Amazon was just playing us all for negotiating leverage:

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...pressbrook.com

"The triumvirate of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia already have a lock on Amazon HQ2, and likely one of those spots has already been chosen, with the other two out there for competition and cover, and perhaps other Amazon future uses.
What makes these sites different from all other sites?
Amazon’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, who bought the Washington Post in 2013, is now building a second home in D.C. Montgomery County and Northern Virginia are connected to D.C. by the Metro system, and are closer to the District than Westchester is to Manhattan.
Now, Amazon certainly knew all this when they sent out the requests. I mean, what a great public relations ploy! Not only do they get the three jurisdictions’ best suggestions, but they tricked them into thinking they were going to have to compete with most of North America. "

Don't let the hater from Austin, and the wanna be Fort Worth Recruiter see this, it may wreck their whole world view....

Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
If it ends up being DC/NOVA, I would not be at all surprised. In addition to what's been mentioned above, I believe that's where almost all the Amazon Web Services facilities are located, and that's the locomotive driving the Amazon train, with a bigger operating revenue than their retail, iirc.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:38 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Same thing that the NFL does every time they want a new stadium

Old 01-26-2018, 09:30 PM

292 posts, read 244,756 times
Amazon plays games with everyone venders, contractors, employees...no surprise here.

It's typical to vet a few places and trigger competition for the best deal and services. Just an average day of business....

Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Doesn't bother me. If this was all just a ploy and it works I'd say great job on their part. Maybe they can use any increase in revenue to invest in more Prime Video content.

It's difficult for me to get upset with Amazon when they have made my life so much easier with Prime membership.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Yeah, I can see it going to that area. Funny that they mention the former White Flint Mall as a possible site in MD. I used to go there all the time as a kid. It was really upscale back in the day (80s and 90s).

Old 01-27-2018, 10:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
That area makes perfect sense. East Coast presence, great public transportation and infrastructure, International Airports, and strong tech presence.

I was really hoping for Austin, but DC does make the most all around sense for them.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
Close to the political powerhouse in D.C. too.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Don't let the hater from Austin, and the wannabe Fort Worth Recruiter see this, it may wreck their whole world view....
Hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston