Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

The debate here is interesting as it's nearly identical to the ones that have played out over and over again here in FL with Brightline (All Aboard Florida). Honestly we really can't predict what will happen, we just have to wait and see.

There are differences though. If you're not familiar with Brightline, it is a privately-owned and operated passenger rail line that used govt bonds for financing and plans to connect Miami to Orlando by 2020. It is not really high speed rail; I think certain stretches will reach as high as 125 mph but the avg speed is around 80 or so. It also uses mostly already acquired and owned ROW, and actually much of it was already operational for freight lines. So a large part of the expenses were eliminated. And finally, since the company already owned most of the ROW, they also owned much of the land around it as well. The business model is for the company to make its profits through real estate development of the land along the rail lines, which I would imagine allows them much greater flexibility in pricing the train tickets. Their focus would be on driving traffic/passenger counts as high as possible to increase the value of their real estate.

The first leg between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach opened a few weeks ago, extension south to Miami should be open in a few months, and Orlando construction just broke ground with a 2020 target. Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach stations are all in their downtowns, Orlando Station is by the airport. Future extensions to Tampa and Jacksonville are in the planning stages. Tampa would be extremely expensive for ROW-acquisition but it's a huge market and not very far from Orlando. Jax doesn't offer as much upside but 90% of the ROW is already owned and operational so the cost to extend would be fairly minimal. I'd expect Jax to happen, unless the entire project tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:44 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I don't know.

I remember when something like this came up in Springfield. Lyle Lanley was the one pushing it, and had told that he had successful projects from other places (like North Haverbrook). But when you do the research, you'd find out that Lyle actually embezzled funds from that project and he intended to do the same in Springfield.

Ultimately, the rail ended up failing from faulty manufacturing (cutting corners). The first passengers actually had to be saved from an unlikely hero (Homer) and it was a whole ordeal.

I don't remember what ultimately happened to the rail itself (maybe it is still there?), but I wouldn't want something like that to happen in Texas. Granted, it was just a monorail in Springfield, but could you imagine something like that being left all the way from Houston to Dallas?

Obviously I'm joking here. I know a lot of people that live a long the route, and they're definitely against it, so feel like it'll be a tough sled anyway. I don't ultimately think it will happen.
There's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car monorail!

Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
My only gripe about this development is that the Houston terminal should have been closer to Downtown. Then again, the placement of the stop could spur new development in that chosen position.
They can put it anywhere they want
But for God's sake ......... make sure that it has a good parking garage next to it.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I am in favor of spending $12B on public transit infrastructure within Houston.

A bullet train to Dallas is dumb.
Public transit infrastructure is expected to improve with the bulletin train for both cities. Maybe they’ll finally build an elevated heavy rail rapid transit.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And the question becomes how are they going to get people to choose train over plane? The cost looks like it will be about the same, maybe even more. The train can provide a better work environment, on par with a small work cubicle and continuous cell coverage and hi-speed internet but I'm not sure the projected $199 fare is for that class.

If it took many customers away from SWA (or any other airline), the airline could easily drop fares to $50 or whatever it took to decimate the rail line.
No doubt the train will have to compete on price, whatever the airlines do. If the train offers more comfort and less hassle for a comparable price, it won't have trouble capturing a good share of demand.

I think proximity of origin and destination to the station/airport will also play into it. If I'm going to Fort Worth, it's DFW Airport here I come. If I live in Clear Lake, I'll take Southwest out of Hobby over the train. Etc.

As I said before, I think it's capital costs that will sink this thing, rather than operating profits.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:50 PM

199 posts, read 165,851 times
There should be a Dallas - Houston - San Antonio - Austin high speed rail line. That would be wonderful.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Just imagine if every person who claims to use public transit everywhere else in the world but Houston, used public transit in Houston even once a month. How quickly the mindset would change.
I’m not going to use the existing rail to go to work when I live 25 miles from the closest station which is also 35 miles away from my work

Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Man that meeting didn't go so well last night did it ? Nobody seems to think this thing will ever make money and they say taxpayers will end up subsidizing it ....

Old 02-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Man that meeting didn't go so well last night did it ? Nobody seems to think this thing will ever make money and they say taxpayers will end up subsidizing it ....
Idiots that think highways are built with magic dust

Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM

403 posts, read 462,188 times
Highways get used and transport a whole lot more people for a whole lot less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston