Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times

Advertisements

Without going into a long history, let me just say that I had a sewer clog, and the plumber who came out today asked if I flushed toilet paper. ?? I thought to myself what an odd question. This is a new garage apartment, so it should have worked fine.

I followed him around a few times, he kept saying that paper should not have been put into the toilet, so he repeats it again and again. I don't want to appear dumb, so I don't ask questions, or say anything, but just nod my in reluctant agreement. I'm thinking that he meant it is still a new install, it needs more work, or something.

He spent an hour, could not get it fixed, he had to go buy a new attachment for his machine, and he is constantly pointing out the toilet paper in the water. So I gave up, waived my hands to him and said stop... and I told him I was ignorant about this, and asked him what he means by 'not putting toilet paper in the toilet. He said 'yes, you are not supposed to put toilet paper in the toilet', but put it in a rubbish bin instead.

WTF? His wife was there (to translate I guess, but I speak Spanish), and I looked at her and said all of America does that, don't you? She gave me the look of 'you are correct', but would not verbally agree with me, I guess because her husband, the plumber, is there.

I told her I don't know where he comes from, but that is not normal in the US. Mind you, this is a legit company from Katy. I asked other people who were in my house doing work, they all were dumbfounded just as I was. How the hell could this guy be in business, have crews, and say you should not put toilet paper in the toilet... in the United States? I know other countries do this, but maybe he did not get the memo when he immigrated here. He is legal too, BTW.

So, anyway, 'just thought I'd share that 'nugget' of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
LOL at your thread title "you'll want to wipe it from your memory"....

Are you sure there wasn't a miscommunication and perhaps he was talking about those "flushable" wipes that often aren't, in fact, so flushable?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Default No miscommunication...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
LOL at your thread title "you'll want to wipe it from your memory"....

Are you sure there wasn't a miscommunication and perhaps he was talking about those "flushable" wipes that often aren't, in fact, so flushable?
No, he and I were very clear about it, it was toilet paper because it was disintegrated. I believe that in his home country (Mexico), they did that in their village. I do recall as a kid going to Mexico and recall being asked not to flush toilet paper. I was a kid, so I flushed it anyway. If you research it (like I had to because I could not believe what I was hearing), it is not uncommon in a lot of countries, and well, I guess in rural areas in Mexico.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Culprit...

The clog turned out to be his mistake, parts of a plastic plug that he though would flush out, but got stuck instead, and the paper did cause it to clog. Nasty just thinking about it. He did not charge me, he knew better.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
I spent time in Peru. They don't flush the paper there, as the sewers have difficulty handling even modern disintegrating paper.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
It's cultural, too. I have known people from Columbia that react in horror at the thought of paper being flushed. They thought it was a filthy habit. Seems grosser to me to have a bin in the bathroom, with "used" paper in it.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 02-01-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Even in parts of East Texas with “country piping” you’re supposed to throw your used asswipe in the trash can.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Why throw it in the trash can? I save each used piece so I can use the other side.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
As far as I know, most people in Venezuela throw it in the toilet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: