Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,077 times

Advertisements

We live in a subdivision managed by an HOA. Our driveway runs down left side of our property leading back to our detached garage and a neighbor on the left. There is a 71 foot fence between his house and our driveway/garage. However, the majority of the fence only fences in his yard and does not provide us with any privacy or security. The fence does begin to be 'shared' about mid garage, roughly 23 feet. The pickets towards the front of the fence were rotted and had fallen down. The HOA sent him a letter to require him to repair it. I called the HOA and a letter was NOT sent to us, I believe because that part of the fence that did not enclose our yard.

We came home this week to find the entire fence removed, without any warning. He replaced even the 'shared' portion. He is now asking us to pay for have of the entire fence, but we don't believe this is correct.
We feel it should only be half of the 23 foot section and not the entire 71 feet. Does anyone know if there are any laws or regulations for this scenario?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
I think he had to notify you first and discuss the project, including all the expenses and responsibilities. I would check with HOA first, however I am not sure if you really have to pay anything.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:41 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
And here, again, a Fence Etiquette might come to rescue:

Fence Etiquette: Tips to Avoid Neighbor Disputes? - HAR.com

TX Fence Issues in Residential Neighborhoods | Silberman Law Firm, PLLC

Last edited by elnina; 02-02-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 PM

99 posts, read 82,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I think he had to notify you first and discuss the project, including all the expenses and responsibilities. I would check with HOA first, however I am not sure if you really have to pay anything.
I agree, check w/ HOA first on everything. The OP did that, and the neighbor should have too. I've learned this from people who were sued by their HOA for the dumbest things, but the HOA had the bylaws on their side. In any case, the neighbor should have been human enough to work out a solution with the OP, or at least try. It's a shame that some people live to be a pain in the a**.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:12 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Is the fence on the other owners side of the property line? If so, tell him to pound sand for payment. If it's on your side of the property line, ask the other owner to remove it, and rebuild on his side. They can't force you, as far as I know, to pay for a fence that's not on your property. You HOA rules you agreed to at closing may say something different, in which case you will need to follow those rules.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Paying for half of the fence is the neighborly thing to do, but nobody MUST pay for half when a neighbor decides it needs to be replaced. You may not get along in good terms with your neighbor after a dispute like this but there usually isn’t a law requiring it. I replaced my fence, one neighbor gladly split it, one would if we used cheaper treated wood rather than cedar. We paid that side because we wanted the materials to be uniform. The third neighbor gladly agreed to it verbally but once the fence was up —he conveniently couldn’t afford it at this time.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:50 PM

126 posts, read 233,198 times
oddest part is him replacing it without talking to you first. Why would he replace and then ask you to help cover the cost? He got his sequence of events out of order on this one.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:08 PM

399 posts, read 642,050 times
seems like there must be more to the story. Who replaces something that is partially shared without discussing first and then expects the other person to pay half?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:49 PM

16 posts, read 21,134 times
The bottomline is....whose property was the original fence on? Your property survey will tell that. If it is on his side of the property line then it is 100% his responsibility. He can ask if you would like to pay for part of it, but the law basically says he owns the fence.

I've gone through this 2x in the past 10 years. In 1994 I had a wooden fence installed 6 inches inside the property line. I asked 1 neighbor if they wanted to split the cost, they agree. I had 0 expectation of them agreeing to pay anything. The other side was between my house and an original homeowner who LOVED the chainlink fence. He called the cops out when the fence people came to install the wooden fence because he wanted to be able to talk to me (read GOSSIP) with me.

In 2017 the fence needed to be replaced. I asked the neighbors (neither lived there in 1994) if they wanted to share the cost and both agreed. Fence installed still on my property, everyone happy.

Now I don't know about HOA's (thank goodness we only have deed restrictions), but I would think the same would apply in your situation. If the fence is/was on his property then he pays unless you agree to split. As others have stated....he can go pound sand otherwise.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by densan93 View Post
<>We came home this week to find the entire fence removed, without any warning. He replaced even the 'shared' portion. He is now asking us to pay for have of the entire fence, but we don't believe this is correct.
We feel it should only be half of the 23 foot section and not the entire 71 feet. Does anyone know if there are any laws or regulations for this scenario?
"To have or have not?"
Be a neighbor. This is your chance to not be a jerk, don't pass it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston