Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
That's fine, you don't have to buy one. If someone else is happy to buy a Spring Branch townhome (what's being discussed here are mostly SINGLE FAMILY TOWNHOMES, not condos), I can't imagine someone else having an issue with it.
I mis-wrote--I meant the townhomes. I guess what I mean is that style of home, the "townhome" really emerged from urban areas out of a necessity to live kind of packed together. They are good for that. Single family houses with yards emerged out of a sense that there was more space available in the suburban milieu, and that one would be spending more time in one's yard. It makes sense--one is for getting around in the city and one is for kicking back and barbecuing, etc... Now I know there will be other perspectives, and that there is adaptive change over time. Spring Branch is a kind of weird zone that is closer to the city than the "burbs" but it's designed LIKE a suburb. So maybe the townhomes that are going up all over will become a big part of this area. To me, it's ugly and I know that lots of other people feel the same way I do. I don't understand your point in correcting me, as far as that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Spring Branch is getting infill development because of gentrification/convenient location, but also because big chunks of it have no HOAs. Deed-restricted suburban neighborhoods, even older ones, generally don't allow lots to be subdivided.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
A wrap project is one where they build a multistory concrete parking garage, then "wrap" it with 3-6 story wood framed apartment units on 3-4 sides.

A podium project is one where they stack the apartment units on top of a multi-level parking garage.

You have many instances of both types being built in infill locations.
I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this style. Those buildings actually look nice and much better looking than the older style apartment complexes.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Show me a condo or townhome that looks nice so I can see why Houston’s versions are so ugly.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 PM

268 posts, read 239,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
That's fine, you don't have to buy one. If someone else is happy to buy a Spring Branch townhome (what's being discussed here are mostly SINGLE FAMILY TOWNHOMES, not condos), I can't imagine someone else having an issue with it.
Townhomes are getting built all over spring branch and they all look really good. It's like they learned what was ugly using the loop as a guinea pig. Now they are building nice stuff here.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this style. Those buildings actually look nice and much better looking than the older style apartment complexes.
There is nothing wrong with those examples in the picture. The one on the top is REALLY attractive. It’s the monochrome, boxy, usually stuccoed ones that are ugly. Disgraceful.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think most of you agree with me that those are not exactly an eye candy:
https://www.houstonproperties.com/ho...s/houston-tips.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Show me a condo or townhome that looks nice so I can see why Houston’s versions are so ugly.
I don't mind living in a townhouse like this. These townhouses have character/style. More expensive than some River Oaks houses though
/from my recent vacation/

Attached Thumbnails
Why are “hip” Houston condos so butt ugly?-townhouses1.jpg   Why are “hip” Houston condos so butt ugly?-townhouses2.jpg  

Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Spring Branch is getting infill development because of gentrification/convenient location, but also because big chunks of it have no HOAs. Deed-restricted suburban neighborhoods, even older ones, generally don't allow lots to be subdivided.
Yeah, that's the issue to me. I don't want to call "infill" home. I also think this will give the western edge of Spring Branch more value over time. Specifically, I'm thinking of the area north of the 10, west of Gessner, East of the 8 and south of Clay (actually, directly south of Clay there are some townhomes going in, but it doesn't extend too far). Of course, I think I'm also complaining a bit--I'm not too into the look/functionality of the townhomes around here, but they're nice for a lot of people and I don't want to complain too much. People are moving to Spring Branch, and that's great. It's a nice place to live, wherever you call home.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Some pretty nice townhouses up north (amazing prices!).
I wish if they knew how to build like this in Houston:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-24385#photo17
$35,000
616 Maple St, Reading, PA 19602

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-40038#photo16
$76,900
834 Madison Ave, Reading, PA 19601

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M41590-83808
$114,900
125 Juniata St, Lancaster, PA 17602
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston