Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times

Advertisements

Anyone know or familiar with the realistic commute time from the Jersey Village area to the Channelview area?

Would like to arrive at work in Channelview between 7-7:30 and would leave work at various times, usually anywhere from 4:30-6pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 11:07 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
DH's usual commute is to downtown but he periodically visits facilities including one in Channelview. He said he allows an hour and takes the north beltway from our home 1-2 miles east of JV. Would not want to do it every day unless temporary.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Thanks. I figured as much.

Here’s our situation...open to suggestions.

Hubby works in Channelview, and will for the foreseeable future. We currently rent a house in Oak Forest and his commute is about 35-40 minutes depending on traffic. I have a younger child that attends Oak Forest Elementary.

The issue is my older daughter attends a special needs school in the Galleria, and we plan for her to be there for the next 2-3 years to get her through middle school. Also looking at possibly putting her in Briarwood School, which is even further west. Anyone know of any schools that accommodate severe ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, and Tourette’s in other places in Houston (besides the Joy and Monarch school) please let me know!

We are looking to buy a house....somewhere. With HISD trying to make some massive changes to the schools, I’m not sure I want to stay in HISD for my younger daughter. She is advanced (2nd grader doing 4th grader work without being pushed), so need a school that accommodate her. Elementaries arsnt really my concern...but middle and Hugh schools are going to be hit hard by these new changes.

Oak Forest is a nice community...it just doesn’t feel like “home” (maybe it’s just my street?!). I could move tomorrow and not be too sad about it. Not to mention house prices are getting crazy expensive. Expensive house plus expensive private special needs school is hard enough....don’t really want to add a second private school tuition in the mix.

We lived in Atascocita for 10 years and don’t want to move back up there, and we have no interest living south of houston. And hubby is nervous about the Meyerland/Westbury area due to flooding.

So I have been considering the east side of Spring Branch, Jersey Village for areas outside of HISD. Or possibly a cheaper area inside the loop and just doing private school.

Budget would be $600-700K, but very pick engineer husband makes it hard to find a house up to his standards. And he would much rather spend half of that. But it all depends on the area - what you can get in Jersey a village for <$400k barely gets you a lot or a decent 3 story town home in the Heights.

Last edited by lhafer; 02-10-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 01:46 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Try Willowbridge subdivision just north of city of Jersey Village off West Road and Beltway 8. It has easy access to the Beltway so your husband can take it all the way to Channelview. It is a nice subdivision with a community swimming pool. A friend who lives there has a special needs/special ed daughter and she’s doing well at Cook Middle School. The oldest goes to Jersey Village high doing AP courses. For your gifted daughter Cyfair ISD might have other options. Gleason Elementary is a great school. The money you save on a home could be applied to private school tuition. You would have to in most cases to take your child to private school yourself.
Not many houses get put in the market for this subdivision so it’s good to keep an eye on it in case the right home pops up. Here’s a list:
Homes for Sale in Houston - Gulf Coast - HAR.com

If you stay in HISD, make sure your gifted daughter applies to TH Rogers school which has curriculum for gifted students. Not everyone can get in. It goes all the way to 8th grade.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Try Willowbridge subdivision just north of city of Jersey Village off West Road and Beltway 8. It has easy access to the Beltway so your husband can take it all the way to Channelview. It is a nice subdivision with a community swimming pool. A friend who lives there has a special needs/special ed daughter and she’s doing well at Cook Middle School. The oldest goes to Jersey Village high doing AP courses. For your gifted daughter Cyfair ISD might have other options. Gleason Elementary is a great school. The money you save on a home could be applied to private school tuition. You would have to in most cases to take your child to private school yourself.
Not many houses get put in the market for this subdivision so it’s good to keep an eye on it in case the right home pops up. Here’s a list:
Homes for Sale in Houston - Gulf Coast - HAR.com

If you stay in HISD, make sure your gifted daughter applies to TH Rogers school which has curriculum for gifted students. Not everyone can get in. It goes all the way to 8th grade.
Thanks! Will keep an eye open! Funny enough - I drove around that area last week and have a few homes bookmarked in that neighborhood!

We just moved back here after being in Europe for the last 2 years. So much of my focus and energy was on finding a school for my oldest, I knew my youngest would do well anywhere. Now that my oldest is set up and doing great in her school - I’m trying to focus more on a great school for my youngest. HISD is making that hard to do currently since they don’t even know what is going to happen with these changes they want to make.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Gosh that's tough. We are in Woodwind Lakes which is also zoned to the Gleason/Cook/JV track mentioned above. I hear positive reports from neighbors with kids attending those schools, special needs and not, but I can't share firsthand experience. Our own kids have been at Awty since preschool until this year which they are spending on the west coast. Awty would be a fantastic option for your younger child but I wouldn't recommend it for children with special needs. I know at least three Awty families who moved dyslexic children to First Baptist across the bridge. Both schools are in the Galleria area and super convenient to the 290 HOV lane and Jersey Village via the West Little York P&R, with myriad surface street options too.

Still, Channelview. I appreciate your conundrum.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Gosh that's tough. We are in Woodwind Lakes which is also zoned to the Gleason/Cook/JV track mentioned above. I hear positive reports from neighbors with kids attending those schools, special needs and not, but I can't share firsthand experience. Our own kids have been at Awty since preschool until this year which they are spending on the west coast. Awty would be a fantastic option for your younger child but I wouldn't recommend it for children with special needs. I know at least three Awty families who moved dyslexic children to First Baptist across the bridge. Both schools are in the Galleria area and super convenient to the 290 HOV lane and Jersey Village via the West Little York P&R, with myriad surface street options too.

Still, Channelview. I appreciate your conundrum.
Here is the link to First Baptist Academy. If you stay in Oak Forest, this school would be really close (goes up to 8th grade). https://www.fbahouston.org

Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Would Pearland be a reasonable compromise?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Would Pearland be a reasonable compromise?
We’ve considered living further south in the past - it just has no real appeal to us. We prefer the trees further north. And all of our friends are in Kingwood area or the Woodlands, plus we travel a fair amount out of IAH. So would prefer to stay north if I-10 I think.

Side note- anyone here familiar with Xavier Education Academy?

Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 PM

246 posts, read 895,192 times
I want to move to Jersey Village because of the job. I live at Katy King Lake now. Can anyone tell me about the school, Gleason/Cook/JV combination? How they compare with Katy school? I have one boy at elementary school only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston