Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

And I will believe it when I see it happen. Even then, this is a lot for something that's going to get used in two annual events. That said, they should be paying for it, not taxpayers. In fact, it should be sold to the rodeo and taken off the county's books entirely.

HLSR, along with the Texans have been an anchor weighing down the efforts for anything productive and viable to get done with it, because they don't want to share in anything they don't make money from. This might be a different deal if you could just walk or drive up to the Dome from the street, but it's not the case.

History nor Houston are served by letting it sit there and rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And I will believe it when I see it happen. Even then, this is a lot for something that's going to get used in two annual events. That said, they should be paying for it, not taxpayers. In fact, it should be sold to the rodeo and taken off the county's books entirely.

HLSR, along with the Texans have been an anchor weighing down the efforts for anything productive and viable to get done with it, because they don't want to share in anything they don't make money from. This might be a different deal if you could just walk or drive up to the Dome from the street, but it's not the case.

History nor Houston are served by letting it sit there and rot.

It is set to be renovated so its not going to be rotting for much longer.

No public building is ever profitable for the taxpayer, including Toyota Center GRB NRG ect. That's why they are public buildings. If these types of facilities were profitable on their own you can bet private interest would be building and operating all of them instead of local Governments.

I'll agree that the HLSR and the Texans have been very selfish with their interest in the Dome, that's something that should be considered the next time renewal of their leases are negotiated with Harris county.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Gee...I never thought about it quite that shallowly or superficially. I suppose if I had, I might have come to the same lightweight conclusion.
They wouldn't let me rep you more. This made me laugh in front of everyone during a meeting.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'll agree that the HLSR and the Texans have been very selfish with their interest in the Dome, that's something that should be considered the next time renewal of their leases are negotiated with Harris county.
selfish ain't the word, downright dictatorship.

Wasn't the reason to hurry and move Six Flags was to develop that area? All we have is a useless parking lot for a few events a year.

We all know the Dome benefits people behind the scenes. Kinda like why they don't build freeways out the right time so that same firm gets the benefits.

If you do your homework there are direct ties between construction companies, engineering firms and politicians

Old 02-28-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It is set to be renovated so its not going to be rotting for much longer.
You must understand that the county government authorizing something to happen to the building does not mean that thing will happen. It's not funded. Either that's going to come from private entities who can actually make something economically feasible out of it, or it'll be subsidized by taxpayers.

OTC and the rodeo have made it just fine with a bunch of dismantled seats and rolls of rotted artificial turf occupying this Astrodome floor space that's suddenly needed somehow.

You would have had a chunk of concrete from the demolished Dome for nearly 20 years now on your mantle if this was any other city in America, besides Detroit perhaps.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You must understand that the county government authorizing something to happen to the building does not mean that thing will happen. It's not funded. Either that's going to come from private entities who can actually make something economically feasible out of it, or it'll be subsidized by taxpayers.

OTC and the rodeo have made it just fine with a bunch of dismantled seats and rolls of rotted artificial turf occupying this Astrodome floor space that's suddenly needed somehow.

You would have had a chunk of concrete from the demolished Dome for nearly 20 years now on your mantle if this was any other city in America, besides Detroit perhaps.
No, this is pretty much a done deal unless some State agency steps in to stop it.

"The money to pay for the renovations would come from the county's general fund of property taxes, hotel occupancy taxes and parking fees.

Construction is expected to start in October 2018 and would take 17 months to complete

The Texas Historical Commission will have to approve the plan since it designated the Astrodome as a state antiquities landmark last year."

https://www.click2houston.com/news/c...vate-astrodome

Old 02-28-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Wasn't the reason to hurry and move Six Flags was to develop that area? All we have is a useless parking lot for a few events a year.
There were multiple forces that pushed Astroworld out, not the least of which was competing for parking and access after they built a new stadium next to the Dome, on top of what had been a prime parking area for events at the Dome.

But really it was money and economic circumstances that had less to do with Astroworld itself. Six Flags was in financial trouble, overextended and $2 billion in debt after buying a bunch of underperforming parks in the 90s that still underperformed after they put the Six Flags name on it. AW hadn't been properly invested in for years. Some stuff like the Cyclone was going to come down whether they shut down the park itself or not. It had major structural issues (a plank even came loose and hit riders in 2003) and at longest would have lasted until Ike. This climate is not kind to wood like that.

The late 00s were lean years in the amusement park industry with the recession, with the bottom around 2009. AW might have gone out of business on its own around then if it hadn't been sold when it was.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
No, this is pretty much a done deal
And it appears to be a public money sink for something that's not really necessary, in a region that could have that money toward - oh, I don't know, maintenance and improvements on the dam they had to open during Harvey because it can't handle enough water?

Then we'll still pay for its maintenance for the other 47 weeks of the year, if the only good reason for this is for the rodeo and OTC, which is only a few days long.

It's something forced by Ed Emmett because he thinks he's the heir of the Roy Hofheinz legacy or something.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Quote:
There were multiple forces that pushed Astroworld out, not the least of which was competing for parking and access after they built a new stadium next to the Dome, on top of what had been a prime parking area for events at the Dome.

But really it was money and economic circumstances that had less to do with Astroworld itself. Six Flags was in financial trouble, overextended and $2 billion in debt after buying a bunch of underperforming parks in the 90s that still underperformed after they put the Six Flags name on it. AW hadn't been properly invested in for years. Some stuff like the Cyclone was going to come down whether they shut down the park itself or not. It had major structural issues (a plank even came loose and hit riders in 2003) and at longest would have lasted until Ike. This climate is not kind to wood like that.

The late 00s were lean years in the amusement park industry with the recession, with the bottom around 2009. AW might have gone out of business on its own around then if it hadn't been sold when it was.
I remember but the historical parks survived and AW was gone in a flash with no resistance

Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
And it appears to be a public money sink for something that's not really necessary, in a region that could have that money toward - oh, I don't know, maintenance and improvements on the dam they had to open during Harvey because it can't handle enough water?

Then we'll still pay for its maintenance for the other 47 weeks of the year, if the only good reason for this is for the rodeo and OTC, which is only a few days long.

It's something forced by Ed Emmett because he thinks he's the heir of the Roy Hofheinz legacy or something.
Not to nic-pic but the damns are a Federal responsibility , but I get your point. The Dome is a county building in need of renovation and the County is doing so as is its prerogative and responsibility whether there are floods or not.

As far as Ed Emmett is concerned the vote to renovate the Dome by Commissioners Court was unanimous so it's not just Ed Emmett's ego that wants to get this done.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-01-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston