Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,074 times

Advertisements

I think LocalPlanner's earlier explanation was fairly complete and pretty good. The changes in Houston (as well as nationally) reflect that shift in societal thinking that "being gay" doesn't mean that someone has to limit themselves to a single set of interests or a single way of behaving. I.e., "gay" people can be just as diverse as the general population and don't feel they have to live in a ghetto or gayborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Thanks, this was a very interesting history lesson. I was not expecting Texas or any southern state to have a city with tolerance towards Gays at any point in time.
Houston had a gay mayor and she was the first openly gay mayor of a major US city.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dfaafcf12afc

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Thanks, this was a very interesting history lesson. I was not expecting Texas or any southern state to have a city with tolerance towards Gays at any point in time.
All large sized cities in the country vote left and so attract gay residents; this should be no surprise. Our former mayor Anise Parker is gay and served 3 two year terms:

Wikipedia: "...Houston [is] the most populous U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor"
--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annise_Parker

Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,074 times
Houston has had at least one (possibly two) lesbian mayors. I think they were both honest and competent leaders, which is a big contrast to other mayors we've have in my lifetime.

However, as far as the personal life of mayoral candidates goes, I don't expect to see an "admitted" male homosexual elected to be mayor of Houston in my lifetime. Our population is progressive to a certain extent, but not that far, I think.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 PM

292 posts, read 244,704 times
Hmmm, another post that will not garner me any up tick in popularity ratings....but nevertheless true

Houston's inner loop growth can be, in a large part, based on the gay community coming in and re-gentrifying the down trodden neighborhoods.

Yes, Virginia,it is true. They have the "Eye of Avedon" for real estate investments.

Same for Galveston....when I moved down to Houston in 2001, my gay male friends told me to buy a small condo on the east end of Galveston.....guess what? I paid 40K in 2001, appraisal is 345k in 2018....no kidding! Good rental income...paid off out of the gate, and I have rolled the rental proceeds over to a West End Galveston home...used those rental proceeds to pay the place off in 12 years.....Thank you guys ( hugs and kisses!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston